Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

boost loss and slow climb?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
boost loss and slow climb?

hey guys,

ive noticed since last night that ive had a loss of boost...it can only go up to like 10-12 psi (my norm was 16-17 psi)... and it climbs very slow

i idle just the same and -18 ....but when putting my foot on the pedal the boost climbs dreadfully slow...i can hear the sc working too because i have a 2.8 pulley - i can hear the scream.

after having my mods for this long, ive come to know that wen my blower screams like that, the cars moving fast....i got slow pickup :S

gasket problem, anyone?

edit:

after searching some more on the forums, i just went out to check if there was any white milky substance in my oil via the oilcap and dipstick. NONE- so i suppose that rules out the head-gasket...which makes me feel better lol.

what are the odds that hitting the nitrous increased my exhaust temps to the point where the gasket on my header/collector got damaged from the heat? whats the best way to check?

also, sounds like a hissing is coming from my header/downpipe at idle...slight but i think i hear it...im praying that it is only this...

Last edited by Kibosh3; 07-03-2008 at 12:35 PM.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:40 PM
Banned

bye bye piston rings

sounds like u lost some compression
Old 07-03-2008, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by rrutter81
bye bye piston rings

sounds like u lost some compression
at this point, im pretty sure its not this...i took the car out for a drive...reminds me of wen i had my old magnaflow on...theres no restriction...therefore no exhaust scavenging (i believe it was called this)....

at idle, its fine...except for that hiss you can hear coming from the header/downpipe area...but i mean, it runs fine...no codes thrown
Old 07-03-2008, 02:59 PM
Banned

"could" be an exhaust leak but my initial reaction is compression was lost, you know best
Old 07-03-2008, 03:00 PM

indeed...im going to test for where the leak on my exhaust is coming from after work

if it were to be compression issues, how could i tell?
Old 07-03-2008, 03:13 PM
Banned

hp tuners, or gm shop can do a compression test.

Check for leaks on your exhaust first and get them out of the way.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:40 PM

hp tuners checks the compression?
Old 07-03-2008, 07:04 PM

---->UPDATE<---->UPDATE<---->UPDATE<----

well, i had some other small things to do to my car, and i managed to locate the leak... started the car, put a block of wood on pedal to keep it at steady 2000 rpms and felt around the downpipe from inside my engine bay... nice flowing leak coming from my flex-tube/collector flange area .... i guess that'll cause a loss of full boost and make it climb slowly as well...

i already planned ahead and ordered a pacesetter header earlier today (had a feeling)...should be here next week...wich is convienient because apparently during the install you need to modify the stock downpipe and cut it past the flex-tube to make the header fit... kudos to that....

i figure, ill need the extra exhaust flow anyway- now that im on the bottle every now and then...probably the reason it cacked out to begin with...
Old 07-03-2008, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Kibosh3
hey guys,

ive noticed since last night that ive had a loss of boost...it can only go up to like 10-12 psi (my norm was 16-17 psi)... and it climbs very slow

i idle just the same and -18 ....but when putting my foot on the pedal the boost climbs dreadfully slow...i can hear the sc working too because i have a 2.8 pulley - i can hear the scream.

after having my mods for this long, ive come to know that wen my blower screams like that, the cars moving fast....i got slow pickup :S

gasket problem, anyone?

edit:

after searching some more on the forums, i just went out to check if there was any white milky substance in my oil via the oilcap and dipstick. NONE- so i suppose that rules out the head-gasket...which makes me feel better lol.

what are the odds that hitting the nitrous increased my exhaust temps to the point where the gasket on my header/collector got damaged from the heat? whats the best way to check?

also, sounds like a hissing is coming from my header/downpipe at idle...slight but i think i hear it...im praying that it is only this...
Yeah...you don't really lose all that much power with an exhaust leak. The best way to check is at night, start it up, get underneath and shine a light (or led light), if the light get's distorted then you have a leak.

---->UPDATE<---->UPDATE<---->UPDATE<----

well, i had some other small things to do to my car, and i managed to locate the leak... started the car, put a block of wood on pedal to keep it at steady 2000 rpms and felt around the downpipe from inside my engine bay... nice flowing leak coming from my flex-tube/collector flange area .... i guess that'll cause a loss of full boost and make it climb slowly as well...

i already planned ahead and ordered a pacesetter header earlier today (had a feeling)...should be here next week...wich is convienient because apparently during the install you need to modify the stock downpipe and cut it past the flex-tube to make the header fit... kudos to that....

i figure, ill need the extra exhaust flow anyway- now that im on the bottle every now and then...probably the reason it cacked out to begin with...
Since you have the factory head-->back you must've blew the flex pipe...I did that without nitrous, it's just not all that strong. But if you did that your car should've sounded like a garbage truck which you didn't say.

Can't recommend pacesetter header but to each his own.

Last edited by theneelster; 07-03-2008 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-03-2008, 09:58 PM

I just put on my pace setter yesterday so nice having a header you can get to all the bolts on did you get the armor coating?
Old 07-03-2008, 11:12 PM

nope...black coating...just to tide me over till next april lease is up and either i turbocharge it or give it back...like i said...i needed something to handle the extra heat/pressure of the new mods

how does the pacesetter feel? im still on stock exhaust...havnt found a cat-back i like so far...all too noisy....

Originally Posted by theneelster

Since you have the factory head-->back you must've blew the flex pipe...I did that without nitrous, it's just not all that strong. But if you did that your car should've sounded like a garbage truck which you didn't say.

Can't recommend pacesetter header but to each his own.
ya...didnt sound like a dump truck...but i could hear a hiss at idle...as well as under load (but was much more difficult- had to listen real close)

Last edited by Kibosh3; 07-03-2008 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-04-2008, 12:45 AM

nope...black coating...just to tide me over till next april lease is up and either i turbocharge it or give it back...like i said...i needed something to handle the extra heat/pressure of the new mods

how does the pacesetter feel? im still on stock exhaust...havnt found a cat-back i like so far...all too noisy....

ya...didnt sound like a dump truck...but i could hear a hiss at idle...as well as under load (but was much more difficult- had to listen real close)
Wait...you did modifications on a leased car? Um...can you do that? What are they going to charge you when you bring it back?

Not to knock you, but the paceheader header is kind of...well...you get what you pay for and you didn't pay much. It's not clear if the extruded/honed header is better but I know there are no install snafus.