Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Brake issues!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 11:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake issues!

So I got the infamous rear brake pads going out at 20k miles so i went to replaace the pads and omg either I'm regarded or this car is retarded, i got the left side done but getting the piston to move back to it to clear the rotor was impossible, then when i went to do the right side the piston would not go back to save my life!! So i, took the piston out to see why it wouldn't go back and now I CANNOT get the piston back on!! I tried for hours in 30 degree weather. With no luck, i finally called it a night and left the car on stands and will try. Again tomorrow, so my question is... how the hell do I get that piston back on!? An when i Finally do how do I move it back far enough to let the pads clear the rotors!? PLEASE HELP! LOL
Old 03-14-2011, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by SmokinSam06
So I got the infamous rear brake pads going out at 20k miles so i went to replaace the pads and omg either I'm regarded or this car is retarded, i got the left side done but getting the piston to move back to it to clear the rotor was impossible, then when i went to do the right side the piston would not go back to save my life!! So i, took the piston out to see why it wouldn't go back and now I CANNOT get the piston back on!! I tried for hours in 30 degree weather. With no luck, i finally called it a night and left the car on stands and will try. Again tomorrow, so my question is... how the hell do I get that piston back on!? An when i Finally do how do I move it back far enough to let the pads clear the rotors!? PLEASE HELP! LOL
Oh man..
You need to TURN the pistons while pressing em in! There are holes on the faces that a special tool fits in to turn and compress. You can turn em using a needle nose pliers inserted in to the holes while turning and compressing. I don't know about putting it back on..should be able to turn it in at first to get em to grab..then turn and press.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:55 AM

well yeah i was turning while pressing the piston in but it would get to a certain point and just wouldnt go in anymore, and the point where it would stop wasnt enough to get the pads to clear the rotor....now that the piston is out it wont catch onto the stud inside the caliper to get back on in there... its driving me crazy i tried everything but i cant get the piston to go back in!
Old 03-14-2011, 01:15 AM

bump!! please guys chime in! im sure there has been numerous people on here that have done their on brakes, i need help! lol
Old 03-14-2011, 01:36 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do a thread search as I have seen threads in the past on the same problem
Old 03-14-2011, 01:50 AM

i just did a search but couldnt find anything on my issue, i saw a ton of threads on people complaining because of the rear brakes but thats it nothing in regards to the piston issue i am having
Old 03-14-2011, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by SmokinSam06
i just did a search but couldnt find anything on my issue, i saw a ton of threads on people complaining because of the rear brakes but thats it nothing in regards to the piston issue i am having
Found this on Mazda forum. They have same rear calipers:
5. If your piston sticks out too far it may have traveled past the point of the internal o-ring. Your piston requires compression and rotation simultaneously. The inside of your piston housing contains a “screw bit like bolt” that hold on to your piston. This is for the purposes of pushing your pistons onto your brake pads whenever you pull up on your emergency brake which grabs your rotors and stops your car from moving. If your piston comes out completely intentionally or by accident, remove you dust boot prior to re-installing the piston so as to avoid damaging it. You can do this by applying slight pressure with a flathead screwdriver at the base of the dust boot where it sits on the metal of the caliper and it will pop off. Mazda parts will charge you up to $45.00 to get a new dust boot, but online you can find it at:
Auto Parts and Accessories Catalog -
6. Hold your caliper upright so as to avoid leaking brake fluid everywhere if your piston is removed. Be careful to not touch your car’s paint with hands covered in brake fluid. Brake fluid is corrosive and can eat away at your paint and clear coat.
7. Begin with screwing on your piston to the screw-like bolt. Continue using the tool or needle nose pliers if it still does not fit. Once your piston is flush with your dust boot (rubber seal, cover, debris shield, etc) you may now slide your caliper into place. There should be no force required to put it in place
Old 03-14-2011, 03:17 AM

this is probably a silly question, but did you disconnect the brake like from the caliper to relieve piston pressure?