Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Break down of the recalls from someone whos personally done them

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Break down of the recalls from someone whos personally done them

Well the recall notice we all get tells us all about the recall and what happens at the dealership. But most of us who don't work for GM do not personally know how the recall is completed. And MAJORITY of shops have a No Customer In Shop rule. We do, but our owner tells customers they can come watch over our shoulders.

I contacted my bud down at Chevrolet last night and he told me yeah I can let you do it yourself under some conditions. 100% CSI Report on the survey. I've helped them out a couple times up here at Dodge on their used Dodge vehicles.

So the Fuel Injector Recall:

Some have been known the crack and leak fuel causing the fuel vapor smell. Well the kit that GM supplies the dealerships just contains the four new injectors. Well all that is done is the fuel pump fuse is pulled the car cranked up until it dies. Fuel rail is removed the old injectors are removed and the new ones installed. Recall completed.

Headliner:

Well as most of us do not have the side impact air bags. GM did not please the government crash safety experts enough. So to counter this negative mark this recall deals with two tiny plastic pieces installed under the headliner in the effort to absorb impact. Recall done.

It took me around 30 minutes to complete these recalls. I know most people are paranoid when it comes to their vehicle being serviced. They dealership should only drive your vehicle in the building and out. There honestly should be no reason to test drive. If they say to check fuel pressure. Umm us technicians have a fuel pressure tester tool. Reason I chose to do this is I do not want anyone else touching this vehicle unless I need the recall done right then and don't have time. I thought I had enough time to do these on my lunch break.

Just ask me if you have further questions dealing with the recall.

Last edited by Blackout06LS; 05-18-2007 at 05:58 PM.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:02 PM
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Keep in mind the injector campaign is for the 2.2 only

The "offical" time for completing the injector recall is 0.6hrs and up to 0.8 for installing the energy absorbing device into both A-pillars. The campaign letters say 40 minutes and 50 minutes respectively. This represents "install" time only (the period the car is IN the service bay) and not neccessarily total "visit" time. (depending on how long it takes before it can be brought into the shop)

Neither recall calls for a "road-test" as part of the campaign procedure. "Checking for fuel leaks" is all the injector replacement procedure dictates.
Wop
Old 05-18-2007, 02:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dont forget too that even if your vehicle is in the shop that doesn't mean that they can work just on that vehicle. It happens here alot that a vehicle gets pulled in the shop on some minor repair like the head impact recall and the tech gets called away for a few minutes to talk to another customer about their vehicle. Making a quick 1/2 hour recall taking an hour.

edit: I just watched the tech here perform the impact recall in less than 15 minutes . Power screwdriver with the correct bits and glue gun plugged in just before driving the car in the stall.