Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Car at the dealer for two full days and they cant figure out the problem!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Car at the dealer for two full days and they cant figure out the problem!

Brought my 06 ss/sc (44000 km) into the dealer tuesday because I have been hearing a rattling sound around the pulleys on the supercharger, and a kinda "whoomping" sound in the front wheels (possibly shot bearings but im not to sure. no vibrations just sound in the wheels).

Before bringing it in I popped the hood and got my buddy to rev the engine a little (2000-3000rpm) while i had a look at the pulleys. I noticed that the pulley right down at the bottom (of the bunch of pulleys on the left side of the supercharger) was wobbling slightly as he reved the engine and there is some sort of damper thing that contacts the bottom of that pulley. I seemed that this thing is what was making the noise because it wasnt always making perfect contact with the pulley.

So brought the car in to the dealer tuesday. They said they would also be fixing the recall in the power steering plus the two things that I had told them. So before I handed over my baby I brought my service rep out and popped the hood to show him what was on the go with the pulley's. Then i told him to give me a call after the mechanics had a look at it. He called me back a few hours later saying that they couldnt quite figure out exactly what it was and wanted to try putting a new belt on it to see if that would work. I told them to go ahead and give me a call the next day, because they said couldnt get it all done tuesday.

I never got a call today, and when I showed up at the dealer around 4pm, the only thing they had done was the power steering recall. They said they replaced some kinda bolt that goes into the engine (something down with the crank but he wasn't very clear about it) because the bolt would slightly pop out when the car was running. But the new one they put in just did the exact same thing! So they wanted the car another day to try more things to figure out the problem.
They also said that my car was down a liter of oil (which they topped up) even though the oil was just changed at the end of april and i might have put 2000km on it since then (and i havent noticed any leaks). So far the new bolt thing cost me $20 and another $200 in labor for whatever else they were at (no charge for the recall work obviously). But my service rep said that if the problem with the pulleys ends up having something to do with the engine it will be covered under the powertrain, and if the problem in the front wheels is the bearings they should also be under powertrain.

So has anyone else ever had these similar problems or heard of them?
and do you guys think the dealer might be trying to **** me over because its been two ******* days now, they havent found out the pulley problem, and never even looked at the problem in the wheels.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:30 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
rattling could also be the SC coupler.... or is it coming from lower than the SC unit?
Old 07-14-2010, 08:20 PM

https://www.cobaltss.net/gallery/sho...hp?i=74199&c=3

the pulley and damper thing is circled
Old 07-14-2010, 08:41 PM

Make it a bit easier to see....its almost directly behind the headlight...
Old 07-14-2010, 08:43 PM
Haz l33t wheelz.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
that's the tensioner, it'll move, that's normal
Old 07-14-2010, 08:49 PM

how about the pulley wheel above the tensioner? That sort of wobbles at times?
Old 07-15-2010, 12:10 PM

Bump for a friend to figure out if any one else has any idea what this rattle could be?
Old 07-15-2010, 07:28 PM

Got my car back from the dealer today, the sound in the front wheels was a bad bearing in the left wheel. They said that the rattling sound in the engine was fixed and I didnt notice it as i was driving home. Tried it when i got home and sure enough the sound is still there.

I took this video when I got home today

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onvcEf-1PSw
Old 07-15-2010, 07:34 PM

is it the tensioner pulley making that? could be its bearings or whatever it uses to spin smoothly.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by northvibe
is it the tensioner pulley making that? could be its bearings or whatever it uses to spin smoothly.
Id say its the tensioner itself...

Broph, bring it back to Hickmans and tell them to take a look at the whole pulley assembly... I am willing to bed it is definitely the pulley tensioner... I cant see it being the pulley its self because the frequency of that rattling isnt nearly as frequent as it would be if it was that pulley since it is spinning pretty quickly... so its probably the engine rattling the tensioner...
Old 07-16-2010, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by PikerAA
Id say its the tensioner itself...

Broph, bring it back to Hickmans and tell them to take a look at the whole pulley assembly... I am willing to bed it is definitely the pulley tensioner... I cant see it being the pulley its self because the frequency of that rattling isnt nearly as frequent as it would be if it was that pulley since it is spinning pretty quickly... so its probably the engine rattling the tensioner...
ya the pontiac vibes had a similar issue where the arm part of the tensioner was the issue not the pulley and it would rattle like a ****. deff good idea.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:30 AM

Yeah thanks guys I was thinking that myself but I wasn't 100% sure.