Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Catalytic Converter Problems....

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Catalytic Converter Problems....

Has anyone else had the problems with their Catalytic Converters? I have an '05 Cobalt and I have had it in twice in the last 3 weeks with a "Check Engine" light on... The last time they told me it was just an Emissions Sensor... and then the Recall that they fixed... Now it came on again, they said my Catalytic Converter was bad! What the hell! I have only 1900 miles on it, with little mods done.... Anyone else have this problem?
Old 01-16-2006, 03:32 PM

Catalytic converters seem to give GM's a problem. My Fiancees Grand Prix GTP had it. My bestfriends GTO has it. I am pretty sure I have it now because I have started to get that familiar noise that a catalytic converter makes when it is f'd up.
Old 01-16-2006, 03:46 PM

I have the same problem but dealership sux
Old 01-16-2006, 03:59 PM
360 L337 User

no ****.. i had 2000 miles on mine and they said the cat as bad cause i ran leaded fuel in it. and it was obviously from overboosting. They wouldn't fix it and wanted like 900 to get a new downpipe and install it. **** THEM... I am gonna buy a neon
Old 01-16-2006, 04:08 PM

Go to another dealership. Dealerships around here have had no problem fixing our cat's
Old 01-16-2006, 04:09 PM

there have been RL's with less miles that had to get a new cat put on b/c the cat insides were comming out of the exhaust
Old 01-16-2006, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by 1stbluSS
Catalytic converters seem to give GM's a problem. My Fiancees Grand Prix GTP had it. My bestfriends GTO has it. I am pretty sure I have it now because I have started to get that familiar noise that a catalytic converter makes when it is f'd up.
what kind of noise does the caat make when its bad? ever since like a week after i installed my exhaust system the car ticks even while running and i thought maybe it was just the exhaust metal expanding and contracting, could it be my cat making the ticking noise?
Old 01-16-2006, 04:53 PM
Banned

If is completely messed up it can do anything from rattling like a heat shield to sounding like a rock inside a pop can.
Old 01-16-2006, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by celicacobalt
what kind of noise does the caat make when its bad? ever since like a week after i installed my exhaust system the car ticks even while running and i thought maybe it was just the exhaust metal expanding and contracting, could it be my cat making the ticking noise?

BINGO thats all it is. its just the tubing heating up and then contracting...

when a cat. goes bad typically it will shoot blck dust out and when it starts to get even worse it will then start shooting parts of the cat out ill snag a link from the RL forum for ya
Old 01-16-2006, 05:18 PM

here you go ........... that is what a bad cat starts out like

remove the () around the (.)

http://www.redlineforums(.)com/forums/130842-post20.html
Old 01-16-2006, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by M-Dub
Has anyone else had the problems with their Catalytic Converters? I have an '05 Cobalt and I have had it in twice in the last 3 weeks with a "Check Engine" light on... The last time they told me it was just an Emissions Sensor... and then the Recall that they fixed... Now it came on again, they said my Catalytic Converter was bad! What the hell! I have only 1900 miles on it, with little mods done.... Anyone else have this problem?
I threw the emissions sensor and it ended up being a faulty gas cap of all things. Not sure about the converter though...if they're anything like the ones on the Cavys I wouldn't be surprised.
Old 01-16-2006, 05:39 PM

i had roughly 5000km on my car, and it was only 2 months old and my cat plugged, when it plugged it would have trouble goin over 4 grand and when it did it rattled the **** out of everything.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:11 AM

Yeah, I have had no signs, no rattling, no smells, no nothing... just a CES.... I am getting really tired of this crap! Chevy needs to get their **** together... I have been really loyal to the brand... untill maybe now...
Old 01-17-2006, 02:49 AM

There's a bulletin to reprogram the computer for a false Catalytic Converter code (P0420). Basically print out the text that follows and take it to your dealership if they say the part is actually bad.

Document ID# 1740336
2006 Chevrolet Cobalt

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check Engine Light (MIL) Illuminated, Usually without Driveability Symptoms, DTCs P0128, P0604, P0326, P0420, P0717, P2431 Set on L61 Engine (Follow SI-If Necessary, Reprogram ECM with New Calibration #05-06-04-073 - (Dec 7, 2005)
Check Engine Light (MIL) Illuminated, Usually without Driveability Symptoms, DTCs P0128, P0604, P0326, P0420, P0717, P2431 Set on L61 Engine (Follow SI, and If Necessary, Reprogram Engine Control Module (ECM) with New Service Calibration)
2006 Chevrolet Cobalt, HHR

2006 Pontiac Pursuit (Canada Only)

2006 Saturn ION

with Ecotec 2.2L 4-Cylinder Engine (VIN D, F -- RPO L61)

Built Prior to Following VIN Breakpoints:

Model
VIN Breakpoint

Chevrolet Cobalt

Chevrolet HHR
6S559494

Pontiac Pursuit (Canada Only)

Saturn ION
6Z152773

Condition
Some customers may comment that the " Check Engine Light" malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) is illuminated. Technicians may find the following DTCs may have set false failures. Typically, the vehicle will exhibit no driveability symptoms, only the MIL with one or more of the above mentioned DTCs.

The following are the DTC descriptors and the description of the false failure concern:

• DTC P0128 Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) below thermostat regulating temperature -- The DTC may set due to a calibrated time parameter or under extremely cold conditions.

• DTC P0604 ECM Random Access Memory (RAM) -- The DTC may set under low voltage conditions.

• DTC P0326 Knock Sensor (KS) Performance -- The KS signal indicates an engine knock is present and the ECM command spark retard at a given engine load and speed is more than the calibrated value.

• Important: A new catalyst may fail this test within the first 200 miles of operation due to out-gassing of the internal matting. If this occurs, operate the vehicle at highway speeds for approximately 1 hour, then retest.

DTC P0420 Catalyst System Low Efficiency -- The ECM has determined the catalyst efficiency has degraded below a calibrated threshold. The ECM may prematurely diagnose a catalyst failure before the catalyst has been allowed to run hot enough for a sufficient amount of time to burn off manufacturing coatings inside the converter. These coatings adversely affect the catalyst efficiency and the O2 sensor performance.

• DTC P0717 Input Speed Sensor Circuit Low Voltage -- The transmission turbine speed sensor may set due to a calibrated rpm and time parameter. This fault may set falsely, especially if the engine is stalled and the vehicle is moving, or if the key is cycled on-off-on while the vehicle is moving.

• DTC P2431 Secondary Air Injection System Pressure Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance -- The control module determines that the difference between the AIR pressure sensor and the barometric pressure (BARO) sensor signals is greater than 10 kPa when the AIR pump is commanded OFF or the control module determines that the difference between the AIR pressure sensor and the BARO sensor signals is greater than 50 kPa when the AIR pump is commanded ON. The DTC may set due to the ignition key ON and the engine OFF but the engine is still turning.

Cause
Engineering has identified a concern with the ECM software.

Correction
Important: The vehicle may or may not exhibit any driveability symptoms. If there are any driveability symptoms along with any DTCs mentioned in this bulletin, DO NOT reprogram the ECM. Follow Service Information (SI) first.

Reprogram the ECM with the latest calibrations if the above concerns are encountered. An updated ECM calibration is now available to address this concern. This calibration, or any that follow, is designed to address this concern. Refer to Service Programming System (SPS) using the appropriate Service Information (SI) procedures. The new ECM calibrations will be available to dealerships as part of TIS2000 incremental satellite update version 12, which was broadcast to dealers on 11/28/2005. For the dealerships that use CDs, they were mailed on 12/07/2005. As always, make sure your Tech 2Ž is updated with the latest software version.

Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

J6354
Module, Powertrain Control - Engine Reprogramming
Use Published Labor Operation Time

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

Š Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Document ID# 1740336
2006 Chevrolet Cobalt
Old 01-17-2006, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by pclear9061
BINGO thats all it is. its just the tubing heating up and then contracting...

when a cat. goes bad typically it will shoot blck dust out and when it starts to get even worse it will then start shooting parts of the cat out ill snag a link from the RL forum for ya
ok thanks, i guess the way corsa is made its just more contracting then a stock exhaust
Old 01-17-2006, 10:19 AM

When A cat is not put on correctly it makes a shaking noise. Much like the sound of your exhaust expanding and contracting.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Malaclypse
There's a bulletin to reprogram the computer for a false Catalytic Converter code (P0420). Basically print out the text that follows and take it to your dealership if they say the part is actually bad.

Document ID# 1740336
2006 Chevrolet Cobalt

Check Engine Light (MIL) Illuminated, Usually without Driveability Symptoms, DTCs P0128, P0604, P0326, P0420, P0717, P2431 Set on L61 Engine (Follow SI-If Necessary, Reprogram ECM with New Calibration #05-06-04-073 - (Dec 7, 2005)
Check Engine Light (MIL) Illuminated, Usually without Driveability Symptoms, DTCs P0128, P0604, P0326, P0420, P0717, P2431 Set on L61 Engine (Follow SI, and If Necessary, Reprogram Engine Control Module (ECM) with New Service Calibration)
2006 Chevrolet Cobalt, HHR

2006 Pontiac Pursuit (Canada Only)

2006 Saturn ION

with Ecotec 2.2L 4-Cylinder Engine (VIN D, F -- RPO L61)

Built Prior to Following VIN Breakpoints:

Model
VIN Breakpoint

Chevrolet Cobalt

Chevrolet HHR
6S559494

Pontiac Pursuit (Canada Only)

Saturn ION
6Z152773

Condition
Some customers may comment that the " Check Engine Light" malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) is illuminated. Technicians may find the following DTCs may have set false failures. Typically, the vehicle will exhibit no driveability symptoms, only the MIL with one or more of the above mentioned DTCs.

The following are the DTC descriptors and the description of the false failure concern:

• DTC P0128 Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) below thermostat regulating temperature -- The DTC may set due to a calibrated time parameter or under extremely cold conditions.

• DTC P0604 ECM Random Access Memory (RAM) -- The DTC may set under low voltage conditions.

• DTC P0326 Knock Sensor (KS) Performance -- The KS signal indicates an engine knock is present and the ECM command spark retard at a given engine load and speed is more than the calibrated value.

• Important: A new catalyst may fail this test within the first 200 miles of operation due to out-gassing of the internal matting. If this occurs, operate the vehicle at highway speeds for approximately 1 hour, then retest.

DTC P0420 Catalyst System Low Efficiency -- The ECM has determined the catalyst efficiency has degraded below a calibrated threshold. The ECM may prematurely diagnose a catalyst failure before the catalyst has been allowed to run hot enough for a sufficient amount of time to burn off manufacturing coatings inside the converter. These coatings adversely affect the catalyst efficiency and the O2 sensor performance.

• DTC P0717 Input Speed Sensor Circuit Low Voltage -- The transmission turbine speed sensor may set due to a calibrated rpm and time parameter. This fault may set falsely, especially if the engine is stalled and the vehicle is moving, or if the key is cycled on-off-on while the vehicle is moving.

• DTC P2431 Secondary Air Injection System Pressure Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance -- The control module determines that the difference between the AIR pressure sensor and the barometric pressure (BARO) sensor signals is greater than 10 kPa when the AIR pump is commanded OFF or the control module determines that the difference between the AIR pressure sensor and the BARO sensor signals is greater than 50 kPa when the AIR pump is commanded ON. The DTC may set due to the ignition key ON and the engine OFF but the engine is still turning.

Cause
Engineering has identified a concern with the ECM software.

Correction
Important: The vehicle may or may not exhibit any driveability symptoms. If there are any driveability symptoms along with any DTCs mentioned in this bulletin, DO NOT reprogram the ECM. Follow Service Information (SI) first.

Reprogram the ECM with the latest calibrations if the above concerns are encountered. An updated ECM calibration is now available to address this concern. This calibration, or any that follow, is designed to address this concern. Refer to Service Programming System (SPS) using the appropriate Service Information (SI) procedures. The new ECM calibrations will be available to dealerships as part of TIS2000 incremental satellite update version 12, which was broadcast to dealers on 11/28/2005. For the dealerships that use CDs, they were mailed on 12/07/2005. As always, make sure your Tech 2Ž is updated with the latest software version.

Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

J6354
Module, Powertrain Control - Engine Reprogramming
Use Published Labor Operation Time

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

Š Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Document ID# 1740336
2006 Chevrolet Cobalt

those are for the 2.2 ONLY ...... ss/sc and RL dont pay attention
Old 01-24-2006, 11:14 AM

Yeah, it was my Cat... I had no noises.... just a CEL... It should get fixed here this week sometime! If they ever call me back when they get the part in!
Old 01-24-2006, 11:16 AM

I took my car in for cat issues yesterday. Turns out my torque brace was causing the noise and not the cat.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by M-Dub

That is the exact same thing that happen to mine. It is in the shop now...I want to see what happens next and what they will say.

You know I have also been seeing a couple of new cobalts on the side of the road like they have been overheating or something. I think one of them caught on fire. I don't think this is good at all for Chevy.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:24 PM

Mine only had 900 miles on it, and my catalyts took a crap. was replaced by the dealer in houston.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:29 PM
360 L337 User

like i said they wouldn't replace mine.. it clogged up and blew the gasgets ahead of it. then it decintigrated and blew out the back
Old 01-25-2006, 10:04 AM

chevy needs to get their stuff together... they are ruining themselves! There are toooo many problems with this "SAVE ALL" car! Finally a good looking car... and nothing but probs!
Old 01-27-2006, 03:18 PM

just got my car back, now they say it was my o2 sensor not my cat....but not 10 minutes after I got it out of the shop the check engine light came right back on...so back to the shop it goes.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by 05cobalt
just got my car back, now they say it was my o2 sensor not my cat....but not 10 minutes after I got it out of the shop the check engine light came right back on...so back to the shop it goes.

Put the car in the shop, now they are saying once again that it is actually the cat. they said that is was the 02 sensor before because the cat and the 02 sensor will throw the same code.

Quick Reply: Catalytic Converter Problems....