Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Clutch Probelm!!! Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch Probelm!!! Need Help!

Hey guys hopefully someone can help me out. I just got my car back from AAMCO and they installed the Exedy Hyper Single. Everything was fine at first but just when I pulled onto my street I noticed the the clutch lost all tension and then it wouldn't disengage from gear, so it stalled. I started it again and the same thing, it went into first gear, but as soon as I release the clutch it grabs, then I tried to push in all the way and still wouldn't release. I had to push it into my driveway and AAMCO is going to tow it back sometime, but anyone have any advice or things I can look for to tell the mechanic? Thank you all
Old 05-17-2008, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by juststickit124
Hey guys hopefully someone can help me out. I just got my car back from AAMCO and they installed the Exedy Hyper Single. Everything was fine at first but just when I pulled onto my street I noticed the the clutch lost all tension and then it wouldn't disengage from gear, so it stalled. I started it again and the same thing, it went into first gear, but as soon as I release the clutch it grabs, then I tried to push in all the way and still wouldn't release. I had to push it into my driveway and AAMCO is going to tow it back sometime, but anyone have any advice or things I can look for to tell the mechanic? Thank you all
replace the slave cylinder?
or its sucking air?
Old 05-17-2008, 05:12 PM

i replaced the throw out bearing and slave, other ppl have mentioned that maybe it wasn't bleed and sucking air as well. It's just I drove the car 10 miles before this happened
Old 05-17-2008, 05:33 PM

It's entirely possible that the clutch slave is airbound. some people have a real hard time bleeding the clutches out on these cars.
Old 05-17-2008, 07:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The car is so bad to bleed the air out GM even sent out a revised procedure for doing it .
I will post it if I can find it ,
Old 05-17-2008, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Coblasts
The car is so bad to bleed the air out GM even sent out a revised procedure for doing it .
I will post it if I can find it ,
I just read in another thread earlier to just bleed it the old fashion way of someone pumping and another breaking the bleeder loose. Don't know if that would help or not?
Old 05-17-2008, 07:58 PM

subscribed...having the same problem!!
Old 05-17-2008, 11:24 PM

hey thanks everyone for the input. If you can find that updated bleeding procedure that would be great. maybe I'll just have AAMCO tow it to GM and they can do it.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:09 AM
Premium Member

#01-07-31-002B: Info - Improved Bleeding Procedure for Hydraulic Clutch Release System - (Nov 1, 2006)

Subject: Improved Bleeding Procedure for Hydraulic Clutch Release System

Models: 2007 and Prior GM Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks (including Saturn)

2007 and Prior Chevrolet and GMC 6-7F T-Series Medium Duty Tilt Cab Models

2007 and Prior Isuzu F-Series Medium Duty Tilt Cab Models

2006-2007 HUMMER H3

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to add model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 01-07-31-002A (Section 07 -- Transmission/Transaxle).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being issued to inform dealers of an improved procedure to aid in the ease of bleeding the clutch hydraulic system for the above listed vehicles. This procedure can be used anytime air is introduced into the hydraulic system. Following this procedure may also reduce the number of unnecessary parts replaced for low clutch pedal reserve and high shift effort.

Verify that all the lines and fittings are dry and secure.
Clean the dirt and grease from the reservoir cap in order to ensure that no foreign substances enter the system.
Remove the reservoir cap.
Fill the reservoir to the proper level with the required fluid.
Attach the J 43485 (Adapter) to the J 35555 (Mity Vac), or equivalent.
Important: Brake fluid will deteriorate the rubber on J 43485. Use a clean shop cloth to wipe away the fluid after each use.

Place and hold the adapter on the reservoir filler neck to ensure a tight fit. In some cases, the adapter will fit into the reservoir opening.
Apply a vacuum of 51-68 kPa (15-20 hg) and remove the adapter.
Refill the reservoir to the proper level.
Repeat Steps 6 and 7.
If needed, refill the reservoir and continue to pull a vacuum until no more bubbles can be seen in the reservoir or until the fluid level no longer drops.
Caution: The vehicle will move if started in gear before the Actuator Cylinder is refilled and operational. Start the vehicle the first time in neutral to help prevent personal injury from vehicle movement and see if the transmission will shift easily into gear.

Pump the clutch pedal until firm (to refill actuator cylinder).
Add additional fluid if needed.
Test drive vehicle to ensure proper operation.
GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION
Old 05-18-2008, 08:23 PM

that sounds like a lot of work. I just bled mine the old fashio way. One guy pumps the clutch pedal as the other opens the bleeder valve. Watch the resevoir and make sure it it stays full of fluid. It does however, take a long time to get all the air out of the system. We sat there and bled it for probably 10-15 min straight and just kept adding fluid. Worked like a charm though
Old 05-18-2008, 11:05 PM

Wow I'm kinda scared to do my own clutch now here soon after reading some of this