Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Coolant Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coolant Question

Hey guys, my LSJ Cobalt flashed a 'Low Coolant' warning the other day and i was wondering if i need a special coolant or even if I should let my dealer do it, I'm do for an oil change too. If it's something I can do by myself, where exactly do I add the coolant, I'm not very mechanically inclined (I'm learning) and notice that there are two places that seem like they need coolant, the reservoir for the engine and one for the supercharger maybe? Like I said I am not very knowledgeable yet, Thanks!
Old 12-27-2014, 10:50 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Yes you are correct. The fill tube right in front of the supercharger, towards the front of the engine bay, is for the supercharger system. The reservoir over on the right side of the engine bay (driver side of vehicle) is for the engine coolant system. Just pop that cap off and top er off. Fill it til the bottle is a little more than half full. Our cars take Dexcool. That is GM's special coolant. You can get it at any auto parts stores. However if you're do for an oil change, just have them do that and they'll top off the coolant. (At least that's what we do at my dealer).
Old 12-28-2014, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by TStone
Yes you are correct. The fill tube right in front of the supercharger, towards the front of the engine bay, is for the supercharger system. The reservoir over on the right side of the engine bay (driver side of vehicle) is for the engine coolant system. Just pop that cap off and top er off. Fill it til the bottle is a little more than half full. Our cars take Dexcool. That is GM's special coolant. You can get it at any auto parts stores. However if you're do for an oil change, just have them do that and they'll top off the coolant. (At least that's what we do at my dealer).
So is the engine coolant system separate from the supercharger coolant system? What I want to know is, if I fill one coolant resevoir, does that fill both up or do I have to fill them separately?
Old 12-28-2014, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Efer Rite Ina P
So is the engine coolant system separate from the supercharger coolant system? What I want to know is, if I fill one coolant resevoir, does that fill both up or do I have to fill them separately?
They are separate.