Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Cranks but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cranks but won't start

My 2006 Cobalt LS, 2.2L started doing this when the mornings started being colder. I'd go to start it and it would crank but never turnover to start. I checked the valve on top and pushed in and gas spurted out so the fuel pump is giving it gas. I check spark plugs, they're dry and getting sparks. then I cleaned throttle body, not that it needed it, put it back together, sprayed starter fluid, went to start it and she started right up. The rest of the day she was fine. The next morning the same thing but didn't work what i did before, also being time consuming had to get to work. Had it towed to a shop, they couldn't find anything wrong with it, drove it the rest of the night with no problems. The next morning same thing wouldn't start. Poured a couple tablespoon full of gas down the throttle body. It almost started but nope. I even tried pumping the gas still no luck. Poured some more gas. I did that about three times until she eventually started and stayed started. Once during the day it took a little longer to crank before starting. I read a post with another member having similar problem and they mentioned the crank position sensor. Wondering if that's my problem also. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Let me add that I had it tuned up the beginning of this summer, had the oil changed a week and a half ago was wondering if when they changed the oil if they accidentally screwed something up...

Also read about the cam shaft sensor. Are they one in the same or two different sensors? Reading up on the crank sensor some say it's located near thermostat housing and others say it's located near the starter or the oil filter. Where is this little bugger at on the 2.2 liter cobalt engine?

Thanks!!