Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

cruise control didnt work in new cobalt

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry dealership blamed aftermarket lights for cruise control not working

i bought my 2008 cobalt spec ed back in Dec of 07. I didnt really notice the cruise control didnt work until i tried to use it on the highway from OKC to Norman with is roughly 17 to 20 miles in distance. so anyway i turned it on and hit "set". nothing happened. no lights on instument panel and the speed dropped. i know its on because the light on the steering wheel is on. but it nothing else. i noticed this before i changed headlamps and tail lights. i tok it in to the dealership today and after an hour or so, the guy told me there diagnostic computer detected that the brake pedal was being applied when it wasnt obivously. the guy blamed the aftermarket lights and the aftermarket wiring for this problem. i told him the cruise control didnt work before i installed the lights. he said that we had to further investigate the lights wiring because the circuit may not be completed. to shorten this up they pulled all the lights and the computer is still showing the the brake pedal is applied still. i told them that the lights didnt have anything to do with the cruise control. why on earth was that even considered when i told them that the cruise control didnt work since the car was new in Dec 07. i was there for 3.5 hrs for them to get me a loaner cobalt. the guy is telling me now there wire tracing and looking at the pcm computer after pulling all the aftermarket lights. dumbasses

Last edited by cobaltspeced; 03-23-2008 at 12:03 AM. Reason: bad title
Old 03-27-2008, 05:39 PM

mine went out when I finally decided to take it on a trip, your dealer guy is full of **** go to another one or even a pontiac dealer like I did, I needed it done for another trip the day b4 I left. day. It's nice to know people too.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does the little yellow light come on.

I know whats wrong with it.

Last edited by invisible; 03-27-2008 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-27-2008, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by cobaltspeced
i bought my 2008 cobalt spec ed back in Dec of 07. I didnt really notice the cruise control didnt work until i tried to use it on the highway from OKC to Norman with is roughly 17 to 20 miles in distance. so anyway i turned it on and hit "set". nothing happened. no lights on instument panel and the speed dropped. i know its on because the light on the steering wheel is on. but it nothing else. i noticed this before i changed headlamps and tail lights. i tok it in to the dealership today and after an hour or so, the guy told me there diagnostic computer detected that the brake pedal was being applied when it wasnt obivously. the guy blamed the aftermarket lights and the aftermarket wiring for this problem. i told him the cruise control didnt work before i installed the lights. he said that we had to further investigate the lights wiring because the circuit may not be completed. to shorten this up they pulled all the lights and the computer is still showing the the brake pedal is applied still. i told them that the lights didnt have anything to do with the cruise control. why on earth was that even considered when i told them that the cruise control didnt work since the car was new in Dec 07. i was there for 3.5 hrs for them to get me a loaner cobalt. the guy is telling me now there wire tracing and looking at the pcm computer after pulling all the aftermarket lights. dumbasses
What lights?The aftermarket lights?Hell no.The brake lights?If so,thats what disengages the cruise control.

Originally Posted by invisible

I see your a big help.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:15 AM

Im having a Cruise Issue as well... It turns on it just doesnt engage. WTF. Any help appreciated, I have quite the commute to work and at 6am it sucks!
Old 03-28-2008, 10:52 AM

There's a TSB on the cruise control. Most dealerships jump too soon when they see anything aftermarket. The tech didn't even look it up on GMDealerworld.com.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:55 AM

You guys never answered my question. Answer it and i will help.
Old 03-29-2008, 03:48 PM

I heard if you disconnect the battery and reconnect it,it resets it somehow.I just noticed like a week ago my cruise doesnt work.I took my battery out the other day to put in my other car.I forgot to check the cruise to see if its works though.It dont matter to me though,i dont even use.But the yellow light on the steering wheel was coming on though.Ill have to check it out next time i drive my car.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:32 PM

The brake pedal sometimes doesn't travel all the way back up in my car... it's so ******* awesome because it's completely warped my rotors too

"COULD NOT REPRODUCE ISSUE. PERFORMING AS DESIGNED."

Thanks....
Old 04-01-2008, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by ptrblkz24
I heard if you disconnect the battery and reconnect it,it resets it somehow.I just noticed like a week ago my cruise doesnt work.I took my battery out the other day to put in my other car.I forgot to check the cruise to see if its works though.It dont matter to me though,i dont even use.But the yellow light on the steering wheel was coming on though.Ill have to check it out next time i drive my car.
Im gonna try this....
Old 04-03-2008, 01:44 AM

It has been since March 29 when I took it in and they still have not fixed the damn thing. First they said the BCM (Body Control Module) so they ordered one from FT Worth Texas. That didnt fix it. Now there after the PCM. They said the BCM controlled all electrical components like windows and locks and cruise control which as shorted out the wires for the cruise control, which when replaced it didnt work. They are talking to the GM troubleshooting Tech guys about it. Thats where all the f***ing ideas are coming from. They have to order the part from Detroit now. They told me it could take 2 weeks for the part to arrive, so I wanted to pick my car up and drop it off when the par came in. The car was drivable when I took it in. Well they took wires out and lights out so now they said it has been impaired to drive till the part comes in. I am pissed. Lets just say when GM sends out the survey on the visit, I will have alot of **** to say about it.

Originally Posted by ptrblkz24
What lights?The aftermarket lights?Hell no.The brake lights?If so,thats what disengages the cruise control.

I see your a big help.
No, what I meant was I have aftermarket tail lights and they were blaming them. not the general brake lights.

Yes the steering wheel light comes on. Nothing in the DIC or dash lights and NO steady speed.

Last edited by cobaltspeced; 04-03-2008 at 01:45 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-03-2008, 08:14 AM

This happened to me before as well and when i took it to the dealership they also said it was the module since its on the bottom of the clutch. What got it to be fixed was the reflash of my computer due to the stage 2 upgrade. But now im having the Cruise issue again and its no longer under warranty. =(

i still havent tried to disconnect the battery but i will!
Old 04-03-2008, 09:05 AM

Mine is all stock. I have not modified the engine at all.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:03 PM
Banned

the dealershit guy told me i cant use cruise control till 5,000 miles..why?
Old 04-03-2008, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by sfinnegan14
This happened to me before as well and when i took it to the dealership they also said it was the module since its on the bottom of the clutch. What got it to be fixed was the reflash of my computer due to the stage 2 upgrade. But now im having the Cruise issue again and its no longer under warranty. =(

i still havent tried to disconnect the battery but i will!
Ding Ding Ding
Either that or somtimes it kinda pop up. put you hand under the clutch pedal and push that little censor in against the pedal.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Chevy Cobalt 08
the dealershit guy told me i cant use cruise control till 5,000 miles..why?
That's the first I've ever heard anything like that...doesn't make sense considering the owners manual only tells you not to drive on the highway for the first 500 miles or something like that
Old 04-03-2008, 05:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by KNGHTSS
That's the first I've ever heard anything like that...doesn't make sense considering the owners manual only tells you not to drive on the highway for the first 500 miles or something like that
really? i took it on the highway the next day ever since... o.0 i just didn't gun it or anything
Old 04-03-2008, 05:47 PM

my problem started as that then moved to some more major things and hasnt been fixed yet.. it goes in the shop on and i will update on here when i get info from the shop...

heres my thread on the problem.... its crazy so watch out...

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/general-cobalt-68/lil-insight-issue-please-104934/
Old 04-03-2008, 05:48 PM

mine works and then stops, sometimes even when the cruise is on, i found out if you hit the steering wheel at the bottom semi hard it will work, but thats not 100%
Old 04-03-2008, 05:51 PM

so its not just me then, my cc dont work either... but the light does come on.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:03 PM

my light comes on to but it doesnt work...
Old 04-03-2008, 06:05 PM

i know that this sounds dumb but mine stopped working and i took it to the dealer and they said my clutch was out of adjustment. its worked ever since. i guess that our cruise control is tied into the clutch. by the way i had the car for a month when this happened. so its not like it was my fault. they said that it happens on quite a few cobalts.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:10 PM

i just got my stock 06 back from the dealership getting my cruise control fixed. They said that the circuit board for the neutral switch on the clutch fried. It was covered under warranty.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:34 PM

Ok, i got mine back today after spending 195 dollars. They said because i have LED tail lights, the PCM could not read any resistance from the factory bulbs because i had LED. Bottom line the LED tail lights fried the BCM and PCM part of the cruise control. Luckly he warranted the parts and I paid for the labor. Third brake light and tail lights were LED. They put in the new PCM and it didnt work. Well then they took the LED strip out of the the brake light and installed regular bulbs and then it worked. I tested it on the way home. It did fine. Can some one verfy this bullshit. If true then I need to know how to put diodes in or something to give the LEDs some resistance. Is anybody else having this problem.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:36 PM

BS.... you got screwed. at least it wa only $195

Quick Reply: cruise control didnt work in new cobalt