Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

cruise control didnt work in new cobalt

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have looked in to this on google and some people are having this problem. I just want to verify this because it doesnt make since.

I think i found a solution. this is what i mean. http://led.linear1.org/why-do-i-need...r-with-an-led/

Also http://lsdiodes.com/leds/viewtopic.php?t=68
There is a section that states the problem. Damn this sucks

It appears I have a sh*t load of resistors in the led tail lights, and on the led third brake light board from Modern Performance Nitehawk.

Last edited by cobaltspeced; 04-03-2008 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-03-2008, 10:59 PM

I had the dealership tell me that my cruise control went out because the clutch wasn't engaged or disengaged when shifting more than 20 times. But that was the third or forth time I went to get it fixed, first time at that dealer though. He said if it happens again that I'm going to lose my warranty if the tranny goes out.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:25 PM

Well I am going to but in some resistors in the wires feeding the brake lights. I hope this fixes it.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:27 PM
RBC

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine has not done it since my stage 2 install, but the battery trick has worked every time in the past. 2 times on mine and 2 time on a friends. Word of advice DON'T EVER TAKE YOU CAR TO THAT DEALER AGAIN! It would have been nice if you could have walked in unhooked the battery fixed it and said cram you computers in your anus!
Old 04-04-2008, 12:09 AM

i would have done that but they said the led lights fried the wires in the computer for the cruise control. i dont think a simple unhook the battery and rehook the battery would have worked. beleive me i wish i could have done that. i am going to put 6 ohm 50 watt resistors in the wires to simulate filament as in halogen bulbs so it does not happen again. there is alot this happening and this is how to get around it, thats what i am reading anyway.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:53 PM

Yup,that battery trick worked for me too.On my way to work this morning i remembered to try the cruise control.Sure as ****,it worked.So,you paid $195 for a battery disconnect/reconnect.I dont see how the led tails can cause it.When ur in cruise,the brakes lights arent even activated,so i cant see how they would cause the cruise not to work.
Old 04-04-2008, 04:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont know if this will help or has been posted before but here's GM's description of cruise operation.

Cruise Control Description and Operation
Cruise control is a speed control system that maintains a desired vehicle speed under normal driving conditions at speeds above 40 km/h (25 mph). Steep grades may cause variations in the selected vehicle speeds.

The following are the main components of the cruise control system:

• The accelerator pedal

• The brake pedal position (BPP) sensor

• The cruise control switches

• The engine control module (ECM)

• The cruise control release switch

• The clutch pedal position (CPP) sensor, if equipped with manual transmission

• The throttle actuator control (TAC) motor

• The vehicle speed sensor (VSS)

The body control module (BCM) monitors the signal circuit of the cruise control switches, which are located on the steering wheel. The BCM relays the cruise control switch status to the engine control module (ECM) via the serial data circuit. The ECM uses the status of the cruise control switch to determine when to capture and maintain the vehicle speed. The ECM monitors the vehicle speed signal circuit in order to determine the desired vehicle speed. The ECM uses the TAC motor in order to maintain the vehicle speed. For further information on the TAC system, refer to Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) System Description for the 2.0L engine, Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) System Description for the 2.2L engine, or Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) System Description for the 2.4L engine.

Ignition voltage is supplied to the cruise control switch from the 2-ampere EPS fuse located in the integrated BCM fuse block. The cruise control function switches are arranged in a resistive ladder design, with each cruise control function switch having a different resistance value. The BCM detects a specific voltage value that is associated with the cruise control function switch being activated. When the normally open cruise control on/off switch is turned ON, the switch closes and the BCM sends a serial data message to the ECM indicating that the on/off switch is active. Similarly, when the normally open + RES switch or the normally open - SET switch are pressed, the switch closes and the BCM detects the predetermined voltage signal on the cruise control resume/accel and set/coast switch signal circuit. The BCM sends a serial data message to the ECM indicating that the + RES switch or the - SET switch is active. The + RES switch or the - SET switch will remain inactive when the BCM has not received the predetermined voltage signal from the on/off switch.

Cruise Control Engaged
The cruise control system will engage and adjust vehicle speeds, based on the activation of the following cruise control switches:

• On/off

• + RES (resume/accel)

• - SET (set/coast)

To engage the cruise control system, ensure that the vehicle speed is above 40.2 km/h (25 mph), turn the cruise On/Off switch ON and momentarily press the - SET switch. The ECM will engage the cruise control system and record the vehicle speed. The ECM sends a serial data message to the driver information center (DIC) in order to display the CRUISE ENGAGED message.

Pressing the accelerator pedal while the cruise control system is engaged, allows the driver to override the cruise control system in order to accelerate the vehicle beyond the current set vehicle speed. When the accelerator pedal is released, the vehicle will decelerate and resume the current set vehicle speed. The driver can also override the current set vehicle speed via the - SET switch and the + RES switch. When the cruise control system is engaged, pressing and holding the - SET switch will allow the vehicle to decelerate from the current set vehicle speed without deactivating the cruise control system. When the - SET switch is released, the ECM will record the vehicle speed and maintain the vehicle speed as the new set vehicle speed. When the cruise control system is engaged, momentarily pressing the - SET switch will allow the vehicle to decelerate at 1.6 km/h (1 mph) increments for each time that the - SET is momentarily pressed, with a minimum vehicle speed of 37 km/h (23 mph).

Pressing and holding the + RES switch, when the cruise control system is engaged, will allow the vehicle to accelerate to a greater vehicle speed than the current set vehicle speed. When the + RES switch is released, the ECM will record the vehicle speed and maintain the vehicle speed as the new set vehicle speed. When the cruise control system is engaged, momentarily pressing the + RES switch will allow the vehicle to accelerate at 1.6 km/h (1 mph) increments for each time that the + RES switch is momentarily pressed, with the maximum acceleration total of 16 km/h (10 mph) over the current set vehicle speed. Momentarily activating the + RES switch will recall the previous vehicle speed, after the cruise control system is disengaged by pressing the brake pedal.

Cruise Control Disengaged
The engine control module (ECM) disengages the cruise control operation based on the signals from the following switches:

• The brake pedal position (BPP) sensor

• The clutch pedal position (CPP) sensor, if equipped with a manual transmission

• The cruise control on/off switch

The cruise control system will disengage when the brake pedal is applied. The body control module (BCM) monitors the BPP sensor via the BPP sensor signal circuit as the voltage signal increases while the pedal reaches the fully applied position. The ECM monitors the BPP signal through a discrete input and a serial data message signal from the BCM indicating the brake status. When both signals indicate the brake pedal is applied, the ECM will disengage the cruise control system. For further information on the BPP sensor, refer to Exterior Lighting Systems Description and Operation . Pressing the clutch pedal while the cruise control is engaged will also disengage the cruise control system. The engine control module (ECM) monitors the CPP sensor via the CPP sensor signal circuit as the voltage signal decreases while the pedal reaches the fully applied position.

The cruise control system will also disengage when the cruise control on/off switch is switched OFF. The BCM sends a serial data message to the ECM in order to disengage the cruise control system. The vehicle speed stored in the memory of the engine control module will be erased when the cruise control On/Off switch is turned OFF, or the ignition switch is turned OFF. The cruise control system will also disengage when the ECM detects that a driver override function has been active for approximately 60 seconds. When the cruise control system has been disengaged, the ECM sends a serial data message to the driver information center (DIC) in order to turn off the CRUISE ENGAGED message.

Every time the cruise control system is disengaged, the ECM will keep track of the reason for system disengagement. The last 8 disengagement reasons will be recorded within the ECM memory. The scan tool will display the last 8 Cruise Disengage History parameters, in which one out of approximately 50 possible reasons will be displayed in each of these 8 parameters. For the disengagement reason to be displayed within the scan tool parameter either the cruise control system is active and disengagement is requested, or engagement of the system is requested but a fault is present. For a list of each disengagement reason along with each definition, refer to Control Module References .

Cruise Control Inhibited
The engine control module (ECM) inhibits the cruise control operation when any of the following conditions exist:

• The ECM has not detected a brake pedal activation from the body control module (BCM).

• A cruise control related DTC has been set.

• The vehicle speed is less than 40.2 km/h (25 mph).

• The vehicle is in PARK, REVERSE, NEUTRAL, or 1st gear.

• The engine RPM is too low.

• The engine RPM is too high, with fuel cut off.

• The vehicle speed is too high, with fuel cut off.

• The system voltage is not between 9-16 volts.

• The Antilock Brake System/Traction Control System is active for more than 2 seconds.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:51 PM

when you apply the brake to shut off the cruise control is where the problem is. the computer is reading resistance from the halogen bulbs with closes the circuit to allow the cruise control to be set. the cruise button is on but you cat set it. if there is no resistance like from LEDS then the cruise control computer thinks the brake pedel is being pushed allowing the cruise control to be deactivated which will eventually kill the PCM and BCM connection of the cruise control. read it online. i am not the only one that this has happened to. there are resistors you can put in to fool the cruise control computer to read resistance when there are LEDs inplace of your halogens. believe me, this was not easy to swallow when found this out.

the halogen bulb as resistors in them that closes the circuit to the BCM that operates the function of the cruise control allowing it to be set when switch is on. LEDs to not have these resistors. So the computer thinks the pedal is being pressed causing an open an circuit which shuts off the cruise control. if there are no halogen bulbs in th brake lights, the circuit is always open loosing the ability to set the cruise control. think about circuits. how does a bulb work in your house lamp for instance.

Last edited by cobaltspeced; 04-04-2008 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-02-2008, 07:27 AM

IT WORKED IT WORKED! SOOO HAPPY! Disconnecting the battery does a world of wonders! Thanks much!
Old 05-24-2008, 08:24 PM

i thought if you disconected the battery the anti theft would engage, that used to happen to my buddy when his sunfires batt would die, he used to have to get flat decked every time he came back from working out of town, i will now try that, it s nice to have a guinea pig thanks LOL glad it worked

its sometimes amazes me how complex a F-ing problem could be and how inconsistent dealers are

Last edited by coby$$; 05-24-2008 at 08:26 PM. Reason: i dont know
Old 05-27-2008, 02:12 AM

my effing cruise control just decided to quit working also...it sounds the same as what you guys have described...the light on the on/off switch comes on but it wont activate...if i press the cruise button repeatedly "cruise engaged" will flash on the dic for a split second...hopefully disconnecting the battery will work cuz at 44000 miles i have no warranty
Old 06-28-2008, 11:09 AM

I know this is an old thread, but my cruise control has done the same thing. Stoped working about a month ago while the wife was driving the car. Now that Im driving it I just remembered it isnt working. Yesterday I tried the diconnecting of the batt and it started to work, but it is disengageing on its own. Anymore insight as to what might be going on. I still have a little of my warranty left should I bring it in?
Old 06-28-2008, 04:35 PM

i would atleast have it looked at. mine works perfectly now. if you read what this post was about i had trouble with it after i installed led tail lights and led brake light. after putting in resistors, and getting the bcm and pcm replaced it has worked fine. of course all parts were under warranty.
Old 06-28-2008, 05:13 PM

I think Im gonna do that. I dont have any aftermarket lighting, it just stoped working one morning when my wife was driving the car. I also might trythe batt again but this time leave it unhooked a little longer.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:50 AM

This is just a revisit to my thread. I found this statement in bold explaining the issue i was having. i resolved by using load resistors.

Quoted from Superbrightleds.com,

Turn signal issues with LED bulbs
LED brake/tail lamps will not flash with thermal flasher units due to their extremely low current draw. Also, with stock flasher units, the turn signals may flash faster than normal (Hyper-Flash).
These installations will require an electronic flasher unit, available in our car bulb shopping category (for some vehicles) or at your auto parts store. Try to find flashers designed to work with LED bulbs, they will say "LED compatible". Often HEAVY DUTY flashers will also work with LED bulbs.

We offer some LED Flashers in our Tail/Brake Turn Signal Bulb category but we do not know which one (if any) will fit your vehicle. You will have to compare the pin-out of your flasher with the pin-outs of the flashers we offer, to see if we have a match, BEFORE you order one. Sorry but we do not have a flasher application list or the expertise to tell you which of our flashers will fit your vehicle.

Another fix is the installation of Load Resistors which are wired across (in parallel with) the turn signal bulbs to simulate the load of a standard filament bulb. We also have these available in our car bulb shopping category.

Dash indicators reporting burnt out bulbs
LED bulbs may cause some newer vehicles to indicate a bulb is burnt out (because of their low power consumption). Some cars indicate this by increasing the flash rate of the turn signals, some turn on a bad bulb indicator. The only fix for this is to install Load Resistors across the bulbs that are being indicated as bad. Some vehicles will also disable the cruise control system if a brake light bulb is being indicated as bad, the installation of Load Resistors will also solve this problem.
Old 07-04-2008, 05:05 PM

Is There any amount of time you have to have the battery disconnected before you reconnect, because of course I'm having the same cruis control problems too. Not that I use it all too often, comes in handy when the police are staggering your ass end and you want to make sure not to speed. LoL But yeah just wondering if there was any length of time you had to keep it disconnected.
Old 07-04-2008, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Skizziks
Is There any amount of time you have to have the battery disconnected before you reconnect, because of course I'm having the same cruis control problems too. Not that I use it all too often, comes in handy when the police are staggering your ass end and you want to make sure not to speed. LoL But yeah just wondering if there was any length of time you had to keep it disconnected.
I disconnected mine for about 10min. The cruise has worked fine all week going to and from work. Knock on wood no problems.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:31 PM

That was about the same time I took mine of as well, when I reconnected the battery, And to a test cruise, it still never worked, but I noticed when I was driving if I put my foot under the clutch and pushed up, it worked fine, b ut as soon as I engaged the clutch, it would start acting up again. But only if I throw my foot under the clutch, and push up, it works fine, Love the cobalts, but hate them LoL.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:13 AM

I would take a look at the switch. Make sure its clean and no garbage is on it. But from the sounds of it that switch is gong bad. Might be dealer time. Sorry to say.