Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Dealer B.S.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer B.S.

So I took my car in to be serviced because it is making a loud roar when I accelerate and only when I accelerate. It kind of sounds like a go-kart when I accelerate and it was really pissing me off. Another thing was that my ABS and Traction lights would come on intermittently after I would be driving for awhile. So I drop my car off suggesting that there is an exhaust leak, and I had no idea about me ABS and Traction besides maybe when I put new rotors and pads on I messed something up. The guy says he'll take a look at it and when he calls me back the next day, he states that my B&M Shiftplus is causing both problems. Right away he states that he could charge me for the diagnostics since its an aftermarket part and it voids my warranty. I told him that was bullshit and that the only way to void the warranty is to prove that its that part.

HERES THE REAL ISSUE AND QUESTION I HAVE: To that he answers that the computer in the car reads every shift and mis-shift of the car, it reads the pressure of the transmission fluid that is pushed through when shifting, and that he could even figure out how fast I was going if he analyzed some of the information in depth. SO the question is, does the car really have that much memory and can it determine if a B&M shiftplus is present if I were to take it off before I took the car in for service.

My car still makes the noise, and I'm waiting for the lights to come back on but they havent yet. I want to take it back in to a different dealer so he doesnt try to screw me.

Please fill me in if they can read all of this information off the car, if he is actually being truthful and not just trying to bullshit me into trying to pay. He didnt charge me because he wants a good survey, which they arent getting because they didnt fix anything.

Thanks.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:23 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
he's calling your bluff. keep fighting. shiftplus has nothing to do with it. Tell him to put that bullshit about the shiftplus into writing.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:41 AM

Even better today I was driving and both the ABS light and Traction light came on, and the engine or exhaust is still making noise and the shift plus is off.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:45 AM

I really dont know why peaple mess with their cars.And get pissed at the dealer when its not covered.When its screwed up from your own doing .I couldent understand that ????
Old 04-09-2009, 07:52 AM

It not my fault.....hence what I am saying the shift plus has nothing to do with anything that is wrong because it is disconnected and everytihng is still happening even after the dealer reset the codes on the computer. SO basically I am proving the dealer wrong with him blaming it all on the shiftplus which is bullshit
Old 04-09-2009, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by phillips01
I really dont know why peaple mess with their cars.And get pissed at the dealer when its not covered.When its screwed up from your own doing .I couldent understand that ????
You dont understand because you dont know anything. The B&M Shift plus is NOT the cause of his problems.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:05 AM

If you change the way your engine or transmission functions...EVERY related part is affected
GM WILL and CAN void your entire warranty for having a shiftplus. Harder shifts = more stress on trans = more stress on engine = more stress on exhaust
If you're going faster, you need to break harder (brakes are void), and your suspension will be affected (suspension is void)

Don't mod your car and then bitch at the dealers, try going to a different dealer and see if they'll look at it

Originally Posted by JohnnySasakiMGS
You dont understand because you dont know anything. The B&M Shift plus is NOT the cause of his problems.
funny because when installing this you do have to splice into the trans wires, assuming you did cut the right ones, they might not be making good contact. try dc'ing the battery to reset the ecu overnight

when i installed my shiftplus, the instructions on page 1 were not for 07's, and i cut the wrong wire, which made my trans go into a limp mode: wouldnt shift out of 1st, TC and ABS on

Last edited by shawn672; 04-09-2009 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-09-2009, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by shawn672
If you change the way your engine or transmission functions...EVERY related part is affected
GM WILL and CAN void your entire warranty for having a shiftplus. Harder shifts = more stress on trans = more stress on engine = more stress on exhaust
If you're going faster, you need to break harder (brakes are void), and your suspension will be affected (suspension is void)

Don't mod your car and then bitch at the dealers, try going to a different dealer and see if they'll look at it

funny because when installing this you do have to splice into the trans wires, assuming you did cut the right ones, they might not be making good contact. try dc'ing the battery to reset the ecu overnight

when i installed my shiftplus, the instructions on page 1 were not for 07's, and i cut the wrong wire, which made my trans go into a limp mode: wouldnt shift out of 1st, TC and ABS on

Oh ****! My bad.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:17 AM

The only thing with that is that the tranny is rated for much higher than the pressure that is put through it stock. So there for there should be no problem. Also when I told the dealer that I had had it on for over a year and that I had never had problems with anything, he had nothing to say to that because he had assumed it had happened since I had it on, when really it has only started up in the last week or so
Old 04-09-2009, 08:30 AM

your suggesting that an otherwise stock car cant handle a B&M shiftplus transmission wise?

and Moss Magnuson says that unless they can prove it they cant void your warranty

btw, with your logic an exhaust voids the entire car as well.

Exhausts are louder then normal and cause different vibrations in the engine compartment plus they generally give you a horsepower increase so the brake and suspension things would be the same.

but try and ******* prove that exhaust can do that and ill laugh in your face
Old 04-09-2009, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by bdrayer21
The only thing with that is that the tranny is rated for much higher than the pressure that is put through it stock. So there for there should be no problem. Also when I told the dealer that I had had it on for over a year and that I had never had problems with anything, he had nothing to say to that because he had assumed it had happened since I had it on, when really it has only started up in the last week or so
that's like saying "GM build book says the 2.2 is built for a 75shot, so i sprayed a 75shot and it blew up my engine, and now i want GM to fix it"

the issue *might* not be related to your shiftplus, but it sounds like it could be
i would make sure the trans wires you spliced/cut are still in tact and making good contact
there is a Trans flash for Autos, I just had it done on my 07 LT auto. if he's not willing to help, try taking it to another dealer and see what they can do

don't forget, those 'service advisors' are salesmen and often work on commission/performance based pay, they are not there to help you with warranty work, they're always trying to sell you on something

Originally Posted by Greased
your suggesting that an otherwise stock car cant handle a B&M shiftplus transmission wise?

and Moss Magnuson says that unless they can prove it they cant void your warranty

btw, with your logic an exhaust voids the entire car as well.

Exhausts are louder then normal and cause different vibrations in the engine compartment plus they generally give you a horsepower increase so the brake and suspension things would be the same.

but try and ******* prove that exhaust can do that and ill laugh in your face
i see it happen every single day buddy, the chevy dealer here in town that is #2 in the country. they void warrantys left and right and GM approves of it.

aftermarket parts that effect your drivetrain, can void your entire drivetrain warranty (engine, exhaust, manifolds, trans, shifters, gaugues, etc)
go ask your dealer if you install a catback exhaust if they'll void your warranty

edit:
I wasn't saying a cobalt auto trans cannot handle a shiftplus, i know they can b/c i have one...been running over 2yrs with it

Last edited by shawn672; 04-09-2009 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-09-2009, 02:41 PM

i see it happen every single day buddy, the chevy dealer here in town that is #2 in the country. they void warrantys left and right and GM approves of it.

aftermarket parts that effect your drivetrain, can void your entire drivetrain warranty (engine, exhaust, manifolds, trans, shifters, gaugues, etc)
go ask your dealer if you install a catback exhaust if they'll void your warranty

edit:
I wasn't saying a cobalt auto trans cannot handle a shiftplus, i know they can b/c i have one...been running over 2yrs with it
I understand its happening, not denying it is. I mean WOA surprise the car industry is trying to fool us into paying for more stuff. I do think its bullshit though. If your engine pops on a catback thats fucked up and definetly not a result of your modification

to a certain extent i also believe some people should STFU about warranty issues especially with intakes and what not, if you have the money to fix it, feel free to modify. if not dont **** w/ your car