Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Dealer oppinion on cat problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 11:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dealer oppinion on cat problem

So I got my SS/SC a month and a half ago. I barely drive it much, only on the weekends. Well After 2 weeks, I was in my parking area, and my friends wanted to hear my car at idle with me just slamming the gas, so I put it up to 5k rpms, and let off. Well they said I had black smoke comming out. I'm like wtf.. must be still wearing in. Well a week later I pulled up to this kid's new SRT4. We race off the light and a pulled him in first and second was just stable for both of us. I beat him by half a car length and we pull into a parking lot, we get out, and all I can smell is rotten eggs from my car. quickly goes away... Well now everytime I park after giving it a little gas and get out, all I smell is it. And even when the Car is running I hear the cat heating up and making ticking sounds... So I read all up on this site before these problems and knew they had a cat problem. So yesterday I call up dealer and say I have a good reason to believe that my cat is going. She's like ok tell me the symptoms, I'm like rotten egg smell, cat makes cooling metal ticking sounds while driving. Now she asks what type of fuel I run... I'm like premium 93 octane. She goes ok well we have reason to believe if you switch to 87 your problem will be fixed, and said have a nice day and hung up... My thoughts are great, they're trying to cover up problems by having me run cooler burning fuel, that isn't fixing that's covering up the problem. And second the cat is already gone, even if I did switch to 87 I still have a cat problem I can see the boost gauge go up past what I used to get for psi and it feels less peppy. What should I do? I figure I'll just keep going and call them once a week to tell them I still have a problem, till the cat blows off and have them fix all the parts it ruined. Ohh well just wanted to know some input, I know they have to fix it, just they want me to try this crap.
Old 03-17-2006, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
your car is built to run on premium, don't put regular in it, it wont run right.
Old 03-17-2006, 11:16 AM

I would just take it in to the service department. Tell you have a problem and drop it off. I believe federal law requires them to make any neccesary repairs on the emissions controls so the cat would be covered. If you just call them, they'll continue to give you the run-around.
Take it in, drop it off and tell them "call me when it's fixed"
Old 03-17-2006, 11:19 AM

Ok thank you , I know they have to cover it, just they're being Dbags. And yea I wouldn't run anything less then premium, if I could find 94 I'd use it over 93 lol. Anyway, thanks!
Old 03-17-2006, 12:30 PM

My muffler smelled like that for about a month. The finish product on the metal is burning off and creating a nasty smell. I thought it was my breaks rubbing but no.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by detrini
your car is built to run on premium, don't put regular in it, it wont run right.
so right...dont buy a godo car thewn cheap out on the gas and oil etc...
Old 03-17-2006, 01:47 PM

I agree take it in and make them fix it. If they won't fix it, find another dealer. If that's not possible tell them you'll be calling GM. Tell GM about it, tell them your car won't pass emissions inspection with a bad cat, you have warranty but your dealership is refusing to service your car.

I had the same problem when my high beams wouldn't work, dealer refused to even look at them but yet if they don't work when the car's inspected, then I'm screwed. Finally they agreed to fix it.
Old 03-18-2006, 12:28 AM

My boost gage hit 17! and it was slow as crap when my cat was going out. they ordered me a new one and all was fine after that. Make them fix it!