Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

dealer screws up oil change!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fballman1987
Also, my buddy said that to keep his warranty valid they need record that he got all his oil changed at the dealer, is that **** true?
I want to know if thats true and if so i want to see where it is printed in my warranty papers Because i'm not paying the kinda money they charge for one! I find it hard to believe they could get away with that They'd have to prove to me that my changing the oil
screwed somthing up!
Old 02-13-2007, 07:08 PM

It is very true, I had this same problem in my 01 Kia Spectra, forgot the oil cap.. Oil came out up over my hood after atleast 300 miles of driving (and i drive like a *******, specific time it was off I was doing reverse doughnuts in a gravel parking lot). Not even 2 weeks later I spun a lower rod bearing. Instead of a couple free oil changes I got a new motor. Kia FTW, oh and having your dad a manager at the dealer.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Codyak Supercharged
I had an audio system installed in my ford ranger a few years back (before i knew how to do it myself) I get home and the dudes socket wrench set is ontop of the engine....holy ****..if it would have droped.... luckly it was perfectly sandwhiched between the hood and the highest part of the motor....I brought the tools back to the install place and didint make a big deal out of it....they did good work
i would have kept the tools, ****.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:57 PM

damn, to think...people make mistakes.. wow, i have a car right now. customer drove for two weeks with no oil cap.. thankfully the baffled valvecover kept most oil at bay...but its costing walmart 833 dollars for some simple stuff....pay me walmart

remember, u may not want it rushed...but 90% of the people do, and no matter what...they want it done faster and faster.

i myself have lost quite a few 10mm sockets and wrenches from leaving them on the cowl. you look around before you close the hood, but sometimes...it happens.

what i learned long ago, put the oil cap/radiator cap on the hood latch... a new oil cap is much cheaper then a short block and possibly new head. then when you pull the car out, pop the hood once more just to check over all caps and dipsticks. also, every vehicle that i work on that includes service work, alignments, suspension i drive 6-12 miles and reinspect. after a motor, usually i keep the car an extra day and put about 40 miles on it. i rather something happen to me then you. and no one has ever said i can't believe you drove my car. most have a better feeling of security.

i have made mistakes myself. like starting a car without oil filter for a few seconds, bout 4 years ago... and i know if you ask a tech if he has ever done this... if hes honest ,90% of the time + you will hear " of course". we work on over a 1000 cars a year, just sometimes the mistake may be on your car.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:24 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by fballman1987
there is a valvoline change station here by my house, my grandmother took her duster there payed the 20 dollars to change the oil and not even 3 hours later she asked me to check her oil and there was NONE in there. They just drained it changed the filter and never filled it back up. My dad said it was just because it burned so much oil old car and lead footed grandmother... so, needless to say we all change our own oil.

Also, my buddy said that to keep his warranty valid they need record that he got all his oil changed at the dealer, is that **** true?
Mostly for extended warranties, unless you are stupid and sign an aftermarket agreement at certain dealers.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:50 PM

I tend to do my own oil changes Helps me bond with the balt .... and my 7yr old usualy likes to help
Old 02-13-2007, 11:51 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by NKs07CobaltSS
I want to know if thats true and if so i want to see where it is printed in my warranty papers Because i'm not paying the kinda money they charge for one! I find it hard to believe they could get away with that They'd have to prove to me that my changing the oil
screwed somthing up!

I was under the impression that if you keep all of your receipts for oil and filters then you're good to go. At least w/ my new bike thats what they told me at the dealer. So far in the almost 500,000 miles that I've been changing my own oil in my vehicles I've never had a problem. My last vehicle had 220,000 on it when I sold it to the next guy and he was happy and smiling ear to ear when he came back from the test drive, and I modded and raced that vehicle since 125,000.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:54 PM
Banned

on one of my cars when i was younger, they didnt screw back in the drain plug for the oil pan all the way, driving down the road I guess it popped off....i made it a whopping 4 miles before my car died, and everything seized

it was one hell of a skid.

.......they refused to cover it, said its my fault....i sued and won.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:56 PM

Thats scary ****.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by TCarter
on one of my cars when i was younger, they didnt screw back in the drain plug for the oil pan all the way, driving down the road I guess it popped off....i made it a whopping 4 miles before my car died, and everything seized

it was one hell of a skid.

.......they refused to cover it, said its my fault....i sued and won.
Thats funny , ok well not really. When I bought my first new Silverado in 99 I took it in for the complementary oil change. Apparrently they felt it cost them to much to add oil afterwords. So with a mere 2500miles on the clock, I got a new engine and free oil changes for as long as I owned the truck, compliments of the dealer.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:25 AM

At least they put oil in the engine for you. In our old Cadillac they put power steeing fluid in the engine instead of the oil!!! Of course this was the first engine my dad and I had built (supercharged it), but we had some free oil changes at the dealer and the service manager was a family friend. Needless to say the engine quickly blew. Dealer had to give us a new engine + $7500 for the work we had done.....we sold the car a week after we get the new engine in...
Old 02-15-2007, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by UltraCSS
I was under the impression that if you keep all of your receipts for oil and filters then you're good to go. At least w/ my new bike thats what they told me at the dealer. So far in the almost 500,000 miles that I've been changing my own oil in my vehicles I've never had a problem. My last vehicle had 220,000 on it when I sold it to the next guy and he was happy and smiling ear to ear when he came back from the test drive, and I modded and raced that vehicle since 125,000.
Thats a releif because my balts never getting an oilchange at the dealer!
Old 02-15-2007, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Codyak Supercharged
I had an audio system installed in my ford ranger a few years back (before i knew how to do it myself) I get home and the dudes socket wrench set is ontop of the engine....holy ****..if it would have droped.... luckly it was perfectly sandwhiched between the hood and the highest part of the motor....I brought the tools back to the install place and didint make a big deal out of it....they did good work
This happend to me on my 97 cavalier, except the hood didnt close. I watched from the window as he slammed my hood over and over and couldnt get it to close. Finally he pulls something from the engine bay and now problems. Go look at it theres a big ass dimple in the hood. got a check for $200.00 to repair it. At first the guy tried to offer me a free oil change i looked at him and laughed.... Asked for the corporate number and went from there.