Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Does anyone not have problems ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ive had mine for 5k miles so far with Stage 2 and Front mount h/e and havent had any problems yet...
Old 08-18-2008, 02:40 PM

Ayres Chevy in Dover

Originally Posted by crypticscifer
What dealer?
I'm up in Newton and the SS was a hard find.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:11 PM

There's about a 7-10k difference from the 07 to the 08's is it really worth saving up for the 08 or just buy the 07 and slowly mod the 07?

Also will it be hard to find parts for the SS/SC as the discontinued it after only 2 years...
or will normal cobalt parts fit for most of everything other than the Super Charger etc...

Thank You
Old 08-18-2008, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Wojtowicz
I was seriously considering buying an SS but after reading these forums everyday looking at all the updates with peoples problems I have thought twice about buying now.

Would anyone of you guys here do it all over again if you had a choice... or would you buy another car ?

Thank's for your help.
most of the people that have problems beat and mod there car...most of the time ,sometimes things break to for no reason...but i think on this car it just attractes that kind of crowd
Old 08-18-2008, 04:16 PM

I'd doit again! No real problems for me at all **Knocks on wood**
Old 08-18-2008, 04:16 PM

There's about a 7-10k difference from the 07 to the 08's is it really worth saving up for the 08 or just buy the 07 and slowly mod the 07?

Also will it be hard to find parts for the SS/SC as the discontinued it after only 2 years...
or will normal cobalt parts fit for most of everything other than the Super Charger etc...

Thank You
you shouldn't have any problems finding parts its a gm car and most the parts are or have come from other applications...and eaton..well i dopn't think there going out of buisness anytime soon....
Old 08-18-2008, 04:35 PM

Would you guys say the 08 is really that much better than the 07 for me to spend an extra 7-10,00$ or should I stick with the 07 and slow add small suspension mods on and keep it well maintained ?
Old 08-18-2008, 05:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would wait and buy an 09 in the fall. That is your best option at this point. If money is an issue, then look for an 06 used SS/SC...
Old 08-18-2008, 05:24 PM

its a forum, of course most thread are going to be "i have a problem" threads. Thts wht a forum is for.

go to the MS3 forums and see if there isint the exact same ratio of problems.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:36 PM

All cars are going to have problems. No car is perfect. Visit www.leftlanenews.com and you'll hear all the cars even Mercedes, BMW's and Porsche's that have recalls.

I'm definitely considering getting another Cobalt SS when my SS/SC's lease ends in less than a year. I can tell you I was going through this very dilemma.

My 06 SS/SC isn't perfect. Granted it's been reliable and hasn't been in the shop very often, however I've had little problems with it. Actually all but one had to do with the quality of the interior. I've had quite a few plastic things like my shift cap, clothes hanger, sun roof rail mount break on me over the two years I've owned the the Cobalt.

For a while I didn't want to get another one, but this car is very fun, and most importantly it's affordable. Now I don't know what kind of Cobalt you are planning on getting. If you're looking into any of the Cobalts they all share the same interior and probably 90% of the same components. The SS obviously is quite a step up performance-wise from the base LS, and LT models.

But for the price and offering of performance, brand new you're not going to find a better car for the price of what the Cobalt costs.

Would I get another Cobalt? Yeah I would, and I'm considering getting a 09 SS Turbocharged when my lease ends...
Old 08-18-2008, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by et00
I'm up in Newton and the SS was a hard find.
Did it get located or was in stock?
Old 08-18-2008, 09:39 PM

I was seriously considering buying an SS but after reading these forums everyday looking at all the updates with peoples problems I have thought twice about buying now.

Would anyone of you guys here do it all over again if you had a choice... or would you buy another car ?

Thank's for your help.
If you beat the crap out of any car day in day out you'll have problems down the line.

Wow you guys great, thank you for the quick reply s. Keep them coming...
I was wondering what are the differences in suspension between the 07 and the 08 ?

I was also thinking if I buy the 07 I wanted the 4 piston Brakes are the cheap and easy to through on to the 07.

again thanks for you help.
You don't need them on the fronts, maybe the backs but all the braking power is going to be in the front (fwd car). If you replace them with brembos or baer or wilwood you're going to pay far out the ass when the rotors and pads wear out. Besides the stock braking setup is top notch to begin with as caranddriver describes as "porsche territory" at least with the RL (17's vs. 18's...probably a little better braking with 17's). Actually...I don't think brembo makes a kit for the cobalt/rl; if they did it would be at least 2500 front and back.

Last edited by theneelster; 08-18-2008 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-18-2008, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by crypticscifer
Did it get located or was in stock?
Well this guy Tom knew I was looking for one and they got one in and asked if I wanted to take a look at it. One day I just say down and called 14 dealerships... only one bite... The rest seemed like they were just playing games...
Old 08-18-2008, 11:17 PM

you can pretty much be sure of a rattle here or there. otherwise, the car is pretty solid. good on crash tests, espically with side airbags. you mention the purchase of a 07. Well this will be under bumper to bumper warranty for any little issue the car may have. I would not be hesitant on a 07 with say 10-20Kmi. Get ready to enjoy a car that is a blast to drive, good on gas millage, very reliable, and inexpensive to own.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my car right now sits with an out of commission transmission.
if i had the benefit of hindsight, i would have gone a different route.
BUT, that doesnt mean i have regrets from my choices....ive learned increadible amounts from owning my cobalt,
and met some good friends, and enjoyed my time as part of a community (most of the time )
Old 08-18-2008, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by youknowjack
you can pretty much be sure of a rattle here or there. otherwise, the car is pretty solid. good on crash tests, espically with side airbags. you mention the purchase of a 07. Well this will be under bumper to bumper warranty for any little issue the car may have. I would not be hesitant on a 07 with say 10-20Kmi. Get ready to enjoy a car that is a blast to drive, good on gas millage, very reliable, and inexpensive to own.
(except insurance)
Old 08-19-2008, 12:29 AM

^ IDK insurance is cheap as hell for this car, well at least for me. I'm paying like $73 a month for full coverage...
Old 08-19-2008, 06:40 AM

My wife and I have two 07's, an SS/SC and a 2.4L. Love them both.

The 2.4 has more than 30k miles, and the only problem I've had with it was the 2nd gear synchros on the transmission... which GM replaced the whole transmission under warranty.

The SS/SC has been fantastic through about 20,000 miles. Biggest problem I've had is the shifter boot slipping off about a week after we got it, probably some loose glue. Again, dealer fixed it, no problem.

Insurance isn't that bad. We pay about $71 COMBINED for full North Carolina coverage (30,000/60,000).

An 07 or an 08 is a good choice. They both have 100,000 powertrain warranties in addition to the standard 3 year/36,000 mile. If free engine or transmission repairs for 100,000 miles doesn't ease your mind, I don't know what will.

The cars do have occasional rattles and other things like that - but in my opinion that's normal. I feel both models are pretty solidly made, at least as much so as any other car in its class.

So you're looking at well made, fun to drive car with a pretty good warranty and an inexpensive price. Can't beat it.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by DarkSergeant
My wife and I have two 07's, an SS/SC and a 2.4L. Love them both.

The 2.4 has more than 30k miles, and the only problem I've had with it was the 2nd gear synchros on the transmission... which GM replaced the whole transmission under warranty.

The SS/SC has been fantastic through about 20,000 miles. Biggest problem I've had is the shifter boot slipping off about a week after we got it, probably some loose glue. Again, dealer fixed it, no problem.

Insurance isn't that bad. We pay about $71 COMBINED for full North Carolina coverage (30,000/60,000).

An 07 or an 08 is a good choice. They both have 100,000 powertrain warranties in addition to the standard 3 year/36,000 mile. If free engine or transmission repairs for 100,000 miles doesn't ease your mind, I don't know what will.

The cars do have occasional rattles and other things like that - but in my opinion that's normal. I feel both models are pretty solidly made, at least as much so as any other car in its class.

So you're looking at well made, fun to drive car with a pretty good warranty and an inexpensive price. Can't beat it.
Thank's for your input.

From what everyone has been saying here I really em considering buying one now.
But I did want to verify that the only difference between the 07 and 08 suspension wise was the front shocks and struts?> or is there more suspension differences ?

Thanks
Old 08-19-2008, 11:46 AM

Thank's for your input.

From what everyone has been saying here I really em considering buying one now.
But I did want to verify that the only difference between the 07 and 08 suspension wise was the front shocks and struts?> or is there more suspension differences ?

Thanks
You talking about the difference between the 07 SS/SC's suspension & 08 SS/TC's suspension? Or the FE1 & FE3 suspension?

If you are then there's a slight difference between the FE2 & FE3 suspension. The FE3 comes with 22-mm front and rear stabilizer bars, four-wheel disc brakes, & Bilstein monotube (gas pressurized) shocks. The FE2 suspension has the same set-up, but the FE3 is revised w some other subtle improvements, and from what I heard handles a little better.

I don't know a think about the FE1 suspension however...
Old 08-19-2008, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by SS4EVER
You talking about the difference between the 07 SS/SC's suspension & 08 SS/TC's suspension? Or the FE1 & FE3 suspension?

If you are then there's a slight difference between the FE2 & FE3 suspension. The FE3 comes with 22-mm front and rear stabilizer bars, four-wheel disc brakes, & Bilstein monotube (gas pressurized) shocks. The FE2 suspension has the same set-up, but the FE3 is revised w some other subtle improvements, and from what I heard handles a little better.

I don't know a think about the FE1 suspension however...
07 SS/SC's suspension & 08 SS/TC's suspension differences is what I was referring to.
Thanks
Old 08-19-2008, 12:31 PM
Banned

Nope wouldnt buy another Cobalt SS\SC or SS\TC

These cars are nothing but problems from day one and GM know this.

1 axles are weak as hell ( Didnt revise them from yr to yr)
2 Interia is cheap ( Wow differant seats is all they did for 08)
3 Shifter knob falls off ( bet thats still isnt fixed)
4 The paint is cheap ( GM never fixed that problem over all these years)

These are just a few things these cars are known for as of problems.
Sorry to flame but the truth has to be told

Ive own nothing but chevys and this car has made me VERY disappointed with GM.
Hope they get better as the year go on , if not chevy just has one serious issue on hand.

Im not telling you not to buy one ( each choose their own) , but really think hard and look over forum for history of these cars (its not good)

IMO Save your money and buy a Corvette "One thing Chevy has perfected"
Old 08-19-2008, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Vetteman-sssc
Nope wouldnt buy another Cobalt SS\SC or SS\TC

These cars are nothing but problems from day one and GM know this.

1 axles are weak as hell ( Didnt revise them from yr to yr)
2 Interia is cheap ( Wow differant seats is all they did for 08)
3 Shifter knob falls off ( bet thats still isnt fixed)
4 The paint is cheap ( GM never fixed that problem over all these years)

These are just a few things these cars are known for as of problems.
Sorry to flame but the truth has to be told

Ive own nothing but chevys and this car has made me VERY disappointed with GM.
Hope they get better as the year go on , if not chevy just has one serious issue on hand.

Im not telling you not to buy one ( each choose their own) , but really think hard and look over forum for history of these cars (its not good)

IMO Save your money and buy a Corvette "One thing Chevy has perfected"
Thanks
Old 08-19-2008, 02:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
He's generalizing too much saying they're all "problems from day one." I wouldn't really take his opinion too seriously when considering this car. My shift knob hasn't fallen off, no paint chipping in the interior, the seats are amazing. All is good.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:26 PM
Banned

no wouldnt do it again..to many problems

Quick Reply: Does anyone not have problems ?