Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Dreaded Supercharger Noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Dreaded Supercharger Noise

So I popped my hood last night with the car running and instantly noticed a constant rattle/controlled grind. I knew to watch out for this problem because I have read a few others threads and saw they had their SC replaced. So called up the dealer and made appointment for this morning to have them:

1. Most importantly, find out the problem with the SC noise.
2. Reflash the car to fix the jumping idle problem.
3. Fix the damn blasted annoying sunroof trim piece that doesnt stay put.

This car is fun and I dont want to get rid of it but getting frustrated considering I have had it towed once already because the ignition switch quit and the car would not start.

Anyways dropped the car off this morning and waitin on phone call, I will update when i hear the news. Hopefully it doesnt end up with me driving a darn rental Malibu again.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:38 AM

You have a sound clip? My SC isn't silent at idle, it's kinda like a chugging sound, but no probs yet.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cobi
So I popped my hood last night with the car running and instantly noticed a constant rattle/controlled grind. I knew to watch out for this problem because I have read a few others threads and saw they had their SC replaced. So called up the dealer and made appointment for this morning to have them:

1. Most importantly, find out the problem with the SC noise.
2. Reflash the car to fix the jumping idle problem.
3. Fix the damn blasted annoying sunroof trim piece that doesnt stay put.

This car is fun and I dont want to get rid of it but getting frustrated considering I have had it towed once already because the ignition switch quit and the car would not start.

Anyways dropped the car off this morning and waitin on phone call, I will update when i hear the news. Hopefully it doesnt end up with me driving a darn rental Malibu again.
Yeah let us know what that SC noise ends up being. Thanks and good luck.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:57 AM

Just got the call from the dealer. Bad bearings in the supercharger which i assume is causing the screws to hit eac other the new one will be in monday hopefully they fixed the bearing problem so it does not happen again. What i'm kinda pissed off about is i dont know how long its been doing it so I dont know how long I have been sending metal shavings through my engine and what harm it has already done

So, I'm back in the rental.......AGAIN
Old 08-10-2006, 12:06 PM

Just got the call from the dealer. Bad bearings in the supercharger which i assume is causing the screws to hit eac other the new one will be in monday hopefully they fixed the bearing problem so it does not happen again. What i'm kinda pissed off about is i dont know how long its been doing it so I dont know how long I have been sending metal shavings through my engine and what harm it has already done

So, I'm back in the rental.......AGAIN
Yeah I don't know about the shavings but at least you get a new blower. Good luck with it bro and thanks for the update.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:12 PM

The screws have a non metalic coating on them. Hopefully there was nothing injested tin the intake. Most likely, anything that made it in was fired into the primary cat after being combusted in the engine..
Old 08-10-2006, 12:14 PM

if they 'fixed' it so it wouldnt happen again why did they put you into a rental?
Old 08-10-2006, 12:20 PM

The new blower doesnt come in until Monday. I am just wondering if Eaton has done anything to correct the problem or if the bearings are going to give out again. In other words am i going to get an updated M62 cuz I would feel alot more comfortable if I did.

So I am in the rental until they get the new blower in and installed.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:02 PM

Well knowing eaton they probably have switched their bearing vendor or design slightly to prevent that. But considering the problem isn't rampant and GM isn't recalling the blowers then I think it's honestly luck of the draw on it. There are always bad parts that make it into cars.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:08 PM

Attached to the engine and under the hood, look out turbo here I come!
Old 08-10-2006, 03:16 PM

wow this scares me. this is the second cobalt we hear here in the forums with that problem.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:18 PM

They put me in an aveo
It is from the enterprise next door but had i known they were going to do that I would be driving something different. Needless to say the dealer will hear about it, im not payin 250 a month to drive a friggin aveo
Old 08-10-2006, 03:19 PM

hmmm. i guess i better watch (and listen) for this problem....*crosses fingers*
Old 08-10-2006, 03:21 PM

I believe this is more than just the second, do a search I found at least three within a few minutes.
BTW I only have 3000 miles on my car and have not beat on it by any means.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:23 PM
p7x

I have had the grinding noise since the day I got the car! If this is a serious problem let me know. There a guy on here also getting his replaced for the noise.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:26 PM

How are they supposed to sound? Obviously grinding = bad, but aside from that should it be pretty silent. Mine sounds a little gritty, but not like it's grinding.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:28 PM

Yes it is serious!!! Basically the screws in the blower are grinding at each other and it will only get worse. Hopefully I caught mine early and did not get through the coating (ive heard teflon coating but not sure). The longer it goes the more chance you have of damaging your engine by sending metal shavings through the intake. Take to dealer ASAP
Old 08-10-2006, 03:31 PM

The way another member described the sound, it was like dice in a thick plastic cup. But it has a rythm to it. Thats the best description I have of it.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:33 PM

That's a no go. I'd much rather buy a new blower and put it on myself before I take anything to a dealership. It's been that way since day 1, but I never had a SC before and thought it was normal. Anyhoo, I've swapped pulleys already and the warranty is void. Which I don't mind, I knew what I was doing would do that. I'll take a sound clip when I get home. I'll wait until I get some feed back on the sound before I start buying a new SC.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:34 PM

The way another member described the sound, it was like dice in a thick plastic cup. But it has a rythm to it. Thats the best description I have of it.
Is that the good sound or the bad sound, ah hell, I'll just have mech look at it right now. This should take all of 10 mins if he's not busy mopping the floors.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:57 PM

Mines good, no need to do anything besides keep running it. He said the sound I was hearing was the valve train and the sound being heard at the blower.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:00 PM

If you are running a smaller pulley, which most of the SS/SC owners are, you WILL wear out the bearings quicker. Also the bad bearings will not cause the rotors to grind, they are not directly coupled that way. Bad bearings will wear out the Supercharger coupler and the slop in the coupler creates the noise that you will hear. Little test: if you take your belt off and try to turn the supercharger pulley and there is slop in the turning...then it is the coupler. A bad coupler will also ruin bearings as well. (this is assuming that Eaton designed the M-62 similar to the M-90, with the coupler and bearings assembly) I believe the only difference in the latest generation of the blowers is the size of the internals and the displacement.

One of the only ways you will wear out the coating on the rotors is if something is injected into the intake BEFORE the supercharger inlet, such as alcohol based water injection systems. They have been know to wear the coating off of the rotors.

One of the only ways you will tear up a rotor assembly is if something comes up through the rotors (such as pieces from the pistons or valvetrain). The supercharger is a very durable piece and is NOT prone to self-distruction.

We (W-body owners) have been dealing with bad couplers for years with the M-62's bigger brother, the M-90. ZZP developed a stronger coupler that all but eliminated these issues. It is a by-product of spinning these blowers at rpms that they were never designed to handle! Maybe this is a problem that can be easily solved.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:00 PM

That's great news, good to know.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:14 PM

I am no expert by any means, but have some first-hand knowledge on how the M-90 is put together. My best friend used to run a small business that CNC ported and polished M-90s and he always was rebuilding snouts and new internals-all of his ported blowers were sent back to the customer with new bearings and a coupler as part of the service. I would help him out where I could, and watch where I couldn't.

I wish Zoomer would step in here and answer these questions. Team ZZP is by far the experts in the M-90 and probably very knowledgeable with the M-62 as well. They are one of the few people in the country that actually have a supercharger dyno in their shop. They have done a lot of research in the F/I market (turbos and superchargers). There knowledge has been invaluable to the W-body community.

FYI just a tidbit of info: Zoomer's Grand Prix was the first W-body in the 9's and it was twin-charged! He got into the 9's within about 5 weeks of tuning the setup. I am not sure what they are planning for this market, but it could be BIG!
Old 08-10-2006, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by StinkBOMB
That's a no go. I'd much rather buy a new blower and put it on myself before I take anything to a dealership. It's been that way since day 1, but I never had a SC before and thought it was normal. Anyhoo, I've swapped pulleys already and the warranty is void. Which I don't mind, I knew what I was doing would do that. I'll take a sound clip when I get home. I'll wait until I get some feed back on the sound before I start buying a new SC.
Why exactly is your warranty void? Putting a smaller pulley on doesn't void your warranty by itself.

Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

Quick Reply: Dreaded Supercharger Noise