Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Dreaded Supercharger Noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cawpin
Why exactly is your warranty void? Putting a smaller pulley on doesn't void your warranty by itself.

Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act
Because it wasn't done by a GM certified tech. I'm not retarded, but I'm not a GM certified tech or certified any kind of mech. I refuse to pay my local stealership $100 an hour labor when I can go to the base Auto Hobby shop and work all day long with every tool imagineable for $2 an hour.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if the supercharger went bad b/c of his pulley, then the s/c is no longer covered
Old 08-10-2006, 04:44 PM

Why exactly is your warranty void? Putting a smaller pulley on doesn't void your warranty by itself.

Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act
If your bearings or coupler do go bad, they can more easily blame it on a supercharger smaller pulley than anything. I have seen it done. Hell, they can even trace it down for a blown transmission (auto) if the pulley has been changed, due to exceeding the torque capability of the transmission. Eaton publishes information on their blowers for operating ranges of rpm and boost. If you exceed those operating ranges by adding too small of a pulley, it will void the warranty on the supercharger. It is very explicit. The dealerships are not dumb to the fact. That can be proven, even with the Magnuson-Moss act in place. Some are forgiving, however. I am sure that the stage kits still keep boost levels and rpms within the operating range of the M-62. Otherwise GM would not be able to warranty the kits, or even sell them.

I guess the W-body community has kinda ruined it for the rest of the supercharged community. I know of very few enthusiasts who haven't run a smaller pulley, blown something up, taken it to a dealership, and have had their warranty voided because of it.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by sethallen
if the supercharger went bad b/c of his pulley, then the s/c is no longer covered
GM runs a 3" pulley too, on the Stage 2 kit. Those grounds are null and void. The only place they could get me is the one place they're right, I'm not a GM tech.
Old 08-10-2006, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by StinkBOMB
Because it wasn't done by a GM certified tech. I'm not retarded, but I'm not a GM certified tech or certified any kind of mech. I refuse to pay my local stealership $100 an hour labor when I can go to the base Auto Hobby shop and work all day long with every tool imagineable for $2 an hour.

You can't say "Retard" or "Retarded"

Apparently some members of ss.net have retarded children and asked that a rule be made that the word could not be used...
Old 08-10-2006, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Brian MP5T
You can't say "Retard" or "Retarded"

Apparently some members of ss.net have retarded children and asked that a rule be made that the word could not be used...
You've got to be kidding me. You mean to tell me that I did two tours in Iraq to ensure freedom and I can't even say retarded?
Old 08-10-2006, 06:50 PM

i went out and listened to my s/c....i had to get close to it....but i could hear a noise as well. maybe i'm paranoid....it did sound like dice in a cup...but i couldn't hear it w/o leaning in towards the engine. What do you guys think? If i take it to the dealer, should i put the Stage 2 Pulley back on? thanks...
Old 08-10-2006, 06:55 PM

You're getting paranoid, it's fine. But take it to the stealership and have it checked out if you haven't done any work yourselft to the car.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:57 PM

i put the 2.8" pulley on after the stage 2....they do look almost identical....this sounds bad...but i don't know if the techs at my dealer are smart enough to even be able to tell
Old 08-10-2006, 07:02 PM

It's a modular set up right? Just swap the 3" back on while you're at the stealership and put the 2.8 back on after you leave. No biggy.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:08 PM

I'd switch it, one quick measurement with some calipers and your warranty go bye-bye.

Also has anyone taken flak for having an intake? I have the AEM so its just in the fender well and they prolly wont see it but I dont know if they will try and give me heat about it if they ever see it?
Old 08-10-2006, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by cobi
I'd switch it, one quick measurement with some calipers and your warranty go bye-bye.

Also has anyone taken flak for having an intake? I have the AEM so its just in the fender well and they prolly wont see it but I dont know if they will try and give me heat about it if they ever see it?
Hello people. Welcome to Earth. Apparently nobody bothered to actually read the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. The dealership has to PROVE that your modification caused a failure. They can't just say, "It is modified, therefore your warranty is void." It doesn't work that way. The burdon of PROOF is on them, trust me. When you mention it most dealerships will change their song real quick.

Also, StinkBOMB, I agree on both of your arguments. If I can do it myself, I do. And, if people are getting upset about the word retard they need to realize that it is a technical term decribing mental incapacity. I'm sorry if you are offended but you have no right not to be.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:33 PM

Just went outside and checked my own after reading this post. I noticed a little bit of a rattle/squeaking noise but nothing that I though was out of the ordinary. Also, only noticed when hood was open, was not loud enough to hear when closed. Think I too am having this problem that you speak of???
Old 08-10-2006, 07:37 PM
Banned

can someone video tape this noise please it is making me nervous please god someone videotape this sound and put it in this thread!
Old 08-10-2006, 07:37 PM

Hello people. Welcome to Earth. Apparently nobody bothered to actually read the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. The dealership has to PROVE that your modification caused a failure. They can't just say, "It is modified, therefore your warranty is void." It doesn't work that way. The burdon of PROOF is on them, trust me. When you mention it most dealerships will change their song real quick.

Also, StinkBOMB, I agree on both of your arguments. If I can do it myself, I do. And, if people are getting upset about the word retard they need to realize that it is a technical term decribing mental incapacity. I'm sorry if you are offended but you have no right not to be.
I'm not sure why you'd be apologizing or sorry. I refuse to retract my statements, I have certain rights that can not be taken away. The other party has the right to fire back, but in the end to silence me you'll have to succeed in an area where Global Islamic Jihad has failed at, twice. Thanks for the back up though.

I haven't read the act, but doesn't the warranty state that all work must be performed by a GM certified tech? Does the act cover this scenario? Thanks for letting me pick your brain.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:38 PM

Oh my God, this thread has to be the biggest paranoia starter ever. hah hah
Old 08-10-2006, 07:41 PM

I agree that it has to be proven but like it was said before if it was warrantied to run a 2.8" pulley then GM would probably offer one. The smaller the pulley the higher rpm's that blower spins at and the more heat is generated which is a constant battle with Eatons.

Also taking action with the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act requires spending money in court costs which I personally would not have. So unless you dont really care too much about money I would venture to say that most people would swap the pulley back to 3" rather than go through the long and sometimes expensive court route.

I think GM would have a pretty good case against someone that used a 2.8" considering they used a pulley not warrantied, or reccomended by them. Also the reason the pulley is there is to provide more boost than the 3" which puts the engine under more stress. Again if GM wanted to warranty a 2.8" I'm sure they would (c'mon its a chance for them to make more money and we all know they need it). So IMO it would be pretty easy to convince a judge that putting excessive stress on the S/C and engine by using a tool not reccomended or warrantied by the manufacturer, that it should not be covered by warranty any longer.

But hey just my 2 cents I'll admit, I dont know everything
Old 08-10-2006, 07:48 PM

I'm not sure why you'd be apologizing or sorry. I refuse to retract my statements, I have certain rights that can not be taken away. The other party has the right to fire back, but in the end to silence me you'll have to succeed in an area where Global Islamic Jihad has failed at, twice. Thanks for the back up though.

I haven't read the act, but doesn't the warranty state that all work must be performed by a GM certified tech? Does the act cover this scenario? Thanks for letting me pick your brain.

Old 08-10-2006, 07:54 PM

So uh, return fire or no? I'm not quite sure what the point of a pic of Mr. Bean is. Are you trying to say I wear whitey tighties?
Old 08-10-2006, 08:09 PM

So uh, return fire or no? I'm not quite sure what the point of a pic of Mr. Bean is. Are you trying to say I wear whitey tighties?

.......i dunno either im just bored off my ass tryin to liven things up a little
Old 08-10-2006, 08:12 PM

Oh, very well then. Cary on.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:56 PM

Damnit, now I"m paranoid about my SC. Everytime I think I hear something. Damn you for starting this thread and making me think something is wrong when in fact I don't think there is.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:15 PM

my sc makes the same noise my dumb ass of a dealer told me its normal!!!.. i dont know why gm hires such dumb ppl!
Old 08-10-2006, 10:16 PM

Yah sorry just thought every SS/SC needed to know. Just take it to the dealer If its bad you get a new one if not you have your peace of mind.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:17 PM

I want a sound clip of a normal sounding one. I'm so paranoid now.

Quick Reply: Dreaded Supercharger Noise