Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Dreaded Supercharger Noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok hwo the Sc supsoe to sound at idel

quit?
little loud
really loud ( liek dice ina cup)
Old 08-10-2006, 11:27 PM

Unhappy

i just read this post and i went over 2 a friends house and on the way home my car started messing up so i pulled over and now i got the noise

what luck right
Old 08-11-2006, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by StinkBOMB
I'm not sure why you'd be apologizing or sorry. I refuse to retract my statements, I have certain rights that can not be taken away. The other party has the right to fire back, but in the end to silence me you'll have to succeed in an area where Global Islamic Jihad has failed at, twice. Thanks for the back up though.

I haven't read the act, but doesn't the warranty state that all work must be performed by a GM certified tech? Does the act cover this scenario? Thanks for letting me pick your brain.
Well, I wasn't really apologizing I guess but I don't go around TRYING to offend people, not that you were. People are just too uptight.

Old 08-11-2006, 02:25 AM

Well ,y car is running stron with a 3 inch and I havn't heard anything different than from the day I drove it off the lot. The day I start hearing new noises (or the day my engine blows) is when I will bring it to the dealer as I try to give them minimal chances to sheck out my mods.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:13 AM

No need for the paranoia

There is no need to be paranoid, a little noise is normal. We are talking about parts spinning at over 14000 rpms here. It is not going to fly apart and kill small animals and little children. What you gotta be worried about is if the noise changes, or gets louder, or you notice decreased performance or boost decrease. Then you might have a problem. I would assure you that if the noise gets worse, then you might see a decrease in performance.

I know that the M-90 has it's own type of oil, and it's own oil reservoir in the SC housing. It is recommended to change the oil every 30,000 miles on the M-90. Some of us do it more often. My M-90 has nearly 100,000 miles on it. It has been maintained properly, and still has the rocks tumbling in a tin can noise. I know that the coupler has some play in it and it is probably going bad....but I have had the noise since about 30,000 miles and have noticed NO decrease in performance. I repeat: I HAVE HAD THAT NOISE FOR OVER
69,000 MILES.

Should I change it, YES. Do I have time to, NO.

I change the oil more often and it still runs fine. Still get 10psi (where it should be for my mods) I will probably change it out once I put a ported blower on the car, since it is a PITA to take the "whole top of the engine" apart to swap a SC. I am not too worried about it, neither should you guys.

Does the M-62 have a port to add supercharger oil?

Supercharger oil port on an Eaton M-90 is located where the snout meets the housing, towards the bottom. I am not sure if the M-62 has an oil port, but I think it does. It might not be at the same place, since that would be difficult to get to where your SC is located. M-90 sits right on top of a GM 3800 V-6 and level.

If you do have a supercharger oil port, here's what you do. Go to the dealership, buy 2 bottles of supercharger oil, approx $6-$8 each(it smells very bad, and don't drink it either). Go to Murray's, Pep Boys, Advanced Auto, etc. and get the Mix Mizer 2-stage motor syringe used to mix fuel for 2-stage motors. Use it to suck out the old supercharger oil. Put it in something enclosed and dispose of properly. If it is brown or grey, then it definately needed to be changed. Take the top off of one of the GM Supercharger oil bottles and suck into the syringe (cleaned out, of course), deposit into blower oil port. Repeat until the oil level is at the bottom of the port plug threads. You may not use all, or any of the second bottle. M-90s require 1 1/2 - 2 bottles, depending on how much you can suck out to replace.

This will help prolong the life of the supercharger, by keeping a fresh amount of oil in the bearings. You don't have to change it as often as regular motor oil. DO NOT USE REGULAR MOTOR OIL FOR THE OIL SWAP, GM MAKES A SPECIFIC OIL FOR SUPERCHARGERS ONLY....IT IS AVAILABLE ONLY AT THE DEALERSHIP (Buick, Pontiac, or Chevy all have had supercharged cars in their lineup-they should carry it as a stocked item). I would recommend once every 20,000 - 30,000 miles. Sooner if you are spinning the blower with a smaller pulley - more rpms.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:19 AM

Thanks, that cleared my paranoia up alot.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yea me too....so the noise doesn't mean too much if we're not seeing a decrease in boost or performance....easy enough
Old 08-12-2006, 01:29 AM

I mean hell my car only has 600 miles on it and the s/c makes some sort of noise but not too bad, i say they all do it. Thing runs just fine no check engine light, so why worry?
Old 08-12-2006, 10:18 AM

cobi, is the sunroof trim piece that fell off the one around the rocker switch that controls the sunroof?

I was at a dealership...TWO SS/SC's on the lot had that trim piece off. (and these were brand new cars on the lot....)
Old 08-12-2006, 10:34 AM
Site Founder

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by StinkBOMB
Damnit, now I"m paranoid about my SC. Everytime I think I hear something. Damn you for starting this thread and making me think something is wrong when in fact I don't think there is.
^x2
Old 08-12-2006, 11:06 AM

DUDE, I have the same problem. My grinding sound was not there least night but, I have had problems before though..........Someone selling stock SC snout?
Old 08-12-2006, 10:10 PM

Does anyone have a sound byte of a good and a bad S/C? I went to the dealership, and listened to a new car on the lot. It sounded like mine.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:33 AM
Site Founder

Originally Posted by toydriver00
Does anyone have a sound byte of a good and a bad S/C?
yes, here it is:
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/problems-service-maintenance-69/videos-dreaded-supercharger-noise-28742/
Old 08-13-2006, 01:09 AM

I have a slight grinding noise from my SC, but it has been there since mile one. I have 3500 miles now with the same slight noise, but was told by a mechanic that this grind was normal. I have however had a slight drop in boast recently, but this was right after I added my Injen CAI. I just assumed it was the CAI causing me to have a little less boast (peaks at about 9 PSI) should I be worried about my supercharger?
Old 08-13-2006, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by JonyyB
Thanks!!

I have been looking all over the net and on here for an M62 sound!

It looks like it is supposed to sound like that.

Last edited by toydriver00; 08-13-2006 at 11:15 AM.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:16 AM

Wow that grinding sounds like ****. That's not good. At least it's being replaced.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:34 PM

his new s/c probalby will sound the exact some.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:48 PM

If it sounds the exact same then I will take it back again cuz it sounded like ****. I understand the these blowers natrually make noise but mine was very un-natural. Wish I had a sound clip to post but oh well.

Update: Blower was supposed to come in Monday and it did, one problem.......
they didnt order a new gasket to go with it so had to wait one more day for that to come in now its Thursday and I'm hoping to get my car back today but do not have much confidence.

Pretty dense if you ask me, that a service center would order a new blower and not a gasket. You'd think that one would be included with the blower regardless since anytime you would be putting a new blower on you would also need a new gasket!
Old 08-17-2006, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by cobi
If it sounds the exact same then I will take it back again cuz it sounded like ****. I understand the these blowers natrually make noise but mine was very un-natural. Wish I had a sound clip to post but oh well.

Update: Blower was supposed to come in Monday and it did, one problem.......
they didnt order a new gasket to go with it so had to wait one more day for that to come in now its Thursday and I'm hoping to get my car back today but do not have much confidence.

Pretty dense if you ask me, that a service center would order a new blower and not a gasket. You'd think that one would be included with the blower regardless since anytime you would be putting a new blower on you would also need a new gasket!
It is unnatural. You can hear it big time toward the end of the clip. Sorry to hear that bro.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:05 PM
Site Founder

Originally Posted by CTCOBALTSSS
It is unnatural. You can hear it big time toward the end of the clip. Sorry to hear that bro.

are you talking about my vid? I don't think he posted his noise?
Old 08-17-2006, 01:17 PM

I can't hear mine, unless I pop the hood.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:26 PM

yeah i mean i can't hear mine unless i pop the hood....roots style blowers make noises....watch some other car vids of roots blowers and you'll see the same thing....
Old 08-28-2006, 08:05 AM

Yah so after being told for two weekends in a row i would have my car back guess what i still dont have it back. They got the part (gasket) in but did not have time to get the car apart friday afternoon. Considering the part came in around 12:00-1:00 on friday they should have had the car apart waiting on the gasket when it got there. So now with this and the two weeks of service for the starter switch about a 8 weeks ago, the dealer has had my car 1 month of the three months i have owned it.

I am talking to the service manager today regarding compensation for the fact that i have paid and entire months payments now to drive a car nothing like what i am paying for.

What do you think is fair compensation?

Ooh and i should have my car back today, but I have lost hope and do not expect it.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:56 AM

bump
Old 08-28-2006, 11:39 AM

If they gave you a rental car, you have no leg to stand on for compensation.

Quick Reply: Dreaded Supercharger Noise