Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Driver Door Locked.. Need Some Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driver Door Locked.. Need Some Help

Driver side door is stuck. Feels like it's locked, you pull the handle -nothing happens:
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/show...ight=door+open
etc.

Had it a few times before on the passenger side, typically when someone would try to open it while the door was still locked. I could always get that open by pulling the handle a few times.

Did it to myself on the driver a bit ago, cannot get it open. Tried to FOB, pulling the handle, driving, knocking the door, etc.

I have a severe problem with this. To the point that I'm curious as to how many others have this issue. This shouldn't just be a warranty repair - this should be RECALLED.

What if just one of us gets in an accident and our car is on fire -- and can't get the god damned unlocked door open due to some shitty lock mechanism? A horrid way to die and a terrible tragedy due to poor engineering.

Anyhow - 3 questions:

1) Anyone know of any other ways of getting the door opened? Anywhere I can insert a slimjim, crowbar or ******* axe to get it motivated?

2) Any way to remove the driver side door panel from inside the car without opening the door?

3) How many other people have had this problem? This isn't irritating - it's ******* dangerous.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:07 PM

I had this and took to the dealer twice and they said nothing wrong, they just lubed it. Seemed to only happen in the cold, maybe ice. I have found that when it happens if i lock and unlock it a few times its good.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:17 PM

Yeah, I just spent 5 mins jiggling on the door handle (typically works) and tried to 'unlock and lock' it on the FOB for god knows how long, more than 50 times that I counted.

On that first link, 3rd page, someone talks about how they fixed theirs. Just don't know how to get the damned thing OPEN.. or even how a dealer would?
Old 12-30-2008, 06:37 PM

When mine screws up both inside and outside handles a loose like they are locked and just a few times of unlocking and locking usually frees it. Its frustrating as heck because both times I took it to the dealer it was locked and I was crawling through the pass. side and when I arrived at the dealer guess what the dang thing pops right open.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:47 PM

Yeah, I may try driving it around for a bit. Take it down some rough road and then see if it's any better when I come back.

My understanding (based again on that first link, 3rd page) is that it's the piece that tells the car to engage the autolocks when it begins rolling. My fear is that since my so far hour and a half of ******* with it has not jiggled it lose, and the linkage or device itself may be damaged.

I tried removing the piece of the door panel that goes around the controls for the windows and locks to see if I could get something back there, but it looks like it's all foam as far as I can see.

Can anybody comment as to if that piece of linkage I need to get to is accessible from this way.. or is there another means without being able open the door to get the entire panel off (I think not because of the piece that goes behind the the far driver vent, but I don't know...).
Old 12-30-2008, 06:52 PM

never heard of this before...must be a cold thing
Old 12-30-2008, 06:52 PM

I'm in North Carolina. It's 50 degrees outside.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:26 PM

Door Issues

I'm having the issues opening my drivers side door too and had to crawl out of the passenger side door. The worst part is, I can't even work on the stupid thing cause i can't get the panel off with the door closed. Any suggestions?
Old 01-25-2010, 11:46 AM

I live in az and this b.s. is occuring. I say write to your congressmen lol. Better yet bring it to the attention of some news stations, and have them make it sound as bad as the Prius accelerator sticking. Its and american made car.... I remember test driving an ls cobalt at a dealership with less then a thousand miles, the interior door handle was already broken....

I just slam and beat the **** out of the door until its submits. I have no respect as its a pos.