Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

DTC question?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 08:20 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by an0malous
all depends on if the filter that was used is up to the standard GM sets.
MM doesnt protect you if the filter that was used isnt up to the standard required for the vehicle.
true. has to be of equal or better quality. what filter was it?
Old 11-24-2007, 03:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whatever Valvoline uses.... the dealership is sayin that they dont see a problem with it, but for some reason Chevrolet seems to think otherwise. I assumed that Valvoline Instant Oil Change would put the correct oil filter in the car? If not, would that not make them liable?
Old 11-24-2007, 10:35 AM

If they used a completly incorrect filter, yes. If they installed the correct but under GM standards filter then my guess is it could go either way. Depends on how loud and how high you bitch, at least thats been my experiance.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:38 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'm curious to hear how the oil filter destroyed the engine. did it call apart or something? how did the filter cause the damage.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:23 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by D4u2s0t
i'm curious to hear how the oil filter destroyed the engine. did it call apart or something? how did the filter cause the damage.
I was wondering the same thing . If the filter came apart and blocked an oil passage i could see it happening , but you would think that the engine would have notice a change in oil pressure .

I found this in dealerworld , i'm not saying GM is right to blame the filter , just wanted to make you aware that it exists .

Document ID# 2013606
2006 Chevrolet Cobalt

Subject: Information on Internal Engine Noise or Damage After Oil Filter Replacement #07-06-01-016A - (09/17/2007)

Models: 2008 and Prior Passenger Cars and Trucks (Including Saturn and Saab)
2008 and Prior HUMMER H2, H3

This bulletin is being updated to include additional information on incorrect or improperly installed engine oil filters. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 07-06-01-016 (Section 06 -- Engine/Propulsion System).

Important: Engine damage that is the result of an incorrect or improperly installed engine oil filter is not a warrantable claim. The best way to avoid oil filter quality concerns is to purchase ACDelcoŽ oil filters directly from GMSPO.

Oil filter misapplication may cause abnormal engine noise or internal damage. Always utilize the most recent parts information to ensure the correct part number filter is installed when replacing oil filters. Do not rely on physical dimensions alone. Counterfeit copies of name brand parts have been discovered in some aftermarket parts systems. Always ensure the parts you install are from a trusted source. Improper oil filter installation may result in catastrophic engine damage.

Refer to the appropriate Service Information (SI) installation instructions when replacing any oil filter and pay particular attention to procedures for proper cartridge filter element alignment. If the diagnostics in SI (Engine Mechanical) lead to the oil filter as the cause of the internal engine noise or damage, dealers should submit a field product report. Refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 02-00-89-002F (Information for Dealers on How to Submit a Field Product Report).

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

Š Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
Document ID# 2013606
2006 Chevrolet Cobalt

Last edited by rukkee; 11-24-2007 at 01:58 PM.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:25 PM

according to the dealer the filter was completely intact. Also, since i've had the car i've had the oil changed 3 times, all 3 times at Valvoline. So if this were going to happen, wouldnt it have happened the first time? I have only put just under 12k miles on my car since i've had it. Either way this goes, I dont see how I should be the one to have to pay for this engine. It's too soon to say what will happen, so i'm just gonna hope it works to my advantage.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:55 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by BlackSSnTN
according to the dealer the filter was completely intact. Also, since i've had the car i've had the oil changed 3 times, all 3 times at Valvoline. So if this were going to happen, wouldnt it have happened the first time? I have only put just under 12k miles on my car since i've had it. Either way this goes, I dont see how I should be the one to have to pay for this engine. It's too soon to say what will happen, so i'm just gonna hope it works to my advantage.

Either way i would think you are covered , either GM or the service station will have to pick up the tab . I can't see how you could be responsible for this . Just my opinion .
Old 11-24-2007, 05:30 PM

everyone cross your fingers for me. Honestly, I believe after all this, i'm going to consider trading the SS for something else and keep the LS... just a thought though. I've had a bunch of trouble out of this thing and only had it since June. So we'll see if they can make it right.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:53 PM

ok so I have a new update. Just got off the phone with the dealer. The guy I usually deal with is apparently on vacation. But the other tech told me that they have parts ordered for it and last he heard it was fully covered under warranty. Looks like I lucked out on this one!
Old 12-21-2007, 07:15 AM

finally got my car back after 2 days short of a month, along w/ 2 pages of warrantied parts.. basically the only things that weren't replaced were the block and the supercharger. Everything else was shot. The oil filter that Valvoline Instant Oil Change had put on my car 3 times in a row was pretty much letting maybe 10% of the oil through, so the car may as well have not had any oil at all. i'm surprised it didnt happen sooner than it did. Needless to say i'll be returning to the dealer for future oil changes just to make sure this doesn't happen again. Thanks to everyone for your help
Old 12-21-2007, 09:05 PM

good to hear it all got sorted out.

But just to clear something up, I doubt they refused warranty because the oil filter caused the damage or because you used a different brand of oil filter.

From what it sounds like whoever changed your oil installed the wrong oil filter completely(not the brand) and it screwed things up. And even if it was the right filter, it's more likely that the damage was caused by human error so the shop doing the work would be held accountable, not gm.
Old 12-23-2007, 01:59 PM

nah, they showed me the filter, it was the correct filter for sure. part # matched but the insides were almost clogged. I guess it was just a defective filter because they said it wasn't normal, but it was practically letting no oil through at all... pretty bad.. anyway it's died on me twice since I got it back. I was sitting in McDonalds drive-thru yesterday and i was just sitting at idle.. got ready to pull up so i pushed in the clutch, hadn't even put it in gear yet, and it just died.. took about 5 cranks to get it to start back up and it was makin this horrible grinding noise. Starter maybe? anyway, i'm gonna take it back to the dealer after christmas and let them look it over. the first time it died it was just sitting in my driveway at idle and I wasn't in it cause I was letting it warm up... didnt want to start back that time either.
Old 12-23-2007, 03:57 PM

nah, they showed me the filter, it was the correct filter for sure. part # matched but the insides were almost clogged. I guess it was just a defective filter because they said it wasn't normal, but it was practically letting no oil through at all... pretty bad.. anyway it's died on me twice since I got it back. I was sitting in McDonalds drive-thru yesterday and i was just sitting at idle.. got ready to pull up so i pushed in the clutch, hadn't even put it in gear yet, and it just died.. took about 5 cranks to get it to start back up and it was makin this horrible grinding noise. Starter maybe? anyway, i'm gonna take it back to the dealer after christmas and let them look it over. the first time it died it was just sitting in my driveway at idle and I wasn't in it cause I was letting it warm up... didnt want to start back that time either.
did the grinding noise only happen when you were trying to start the car?

When they did the warranty work did they replace any parts inside the block? Like bearings?
Old 12-25-2007, 11:47 PM

yeah only when I was tryin to start the car, but like the first 3 tries that's all it'd do. I waited a few seconds in between tries too. Here's another one for ya. yesterday I walked outside and got in it, started it up, radio wouldnt come on. I checked all the fuses i could find that had anything to do w/ audio, amps, u name it, all were good. So i drove around most of the day w/ no radio. Well, i'm drivin down the road and look down and all of the sudden my clock is on. The radio had no power period before this. Well, I pull up to stoplight and reach down to turn on the radio, and it comes on. I couldnt change songs on the CD or change the volume. Then, all of my gauges when back to 0, speedo, tach, fuel... the ABS light started flashing, the check engine light started flashing, then they all stopped and the gauges started workin again. Now the radio works completely fine and i've had no problems since. Interceptor isn't picking up any codes. I'm gonna take it back to the dealer tomorrow and make them check for a short or grounded wire or somethin, because that's all just weird as heck.
Old 12-26-2007, 03:14 PM

yeah only when I was tryin to start the car, but like the first 3 tries that's all it'd do. I waited a few seconds in between tries too. Here's another one for ya. yesterday I walked outside and got in it, started it up, radio wouldnt come on. I checked all the fuses i could find that had anything to do w/ audio, amps, u name it, all were good. So i drove around most of the day w/ no radio. Well, i'm drivin down the road and look down and all of the sudden my clock is on. The radio had no power period before this. Well, I pull up to stoplight and reach down to turn on the radio, and it comes on. I couldnt change songs on the CD or change the volume. Then, all of my gauges when back to 0, speedo, tach, fuel... the ABS light started flashing, the check engine light started flashing, then they all stopped and the gauges started workin again. Now the radio works completely fine and i've had no problems since. Interceptor isn't picking up any codes. I'm gonna take it back to the dealer tomorrow and make them check for a short or grounded wire or somethin, because that's all just weird as heck.
well I would just not worry about the radio for right now. You could possibly have some serious engine issues that they never fixed. I would have them look into that first and foremost. Of course it could just be the alternator. But I'd say the starting issue should take top priority.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by halfj99
an oil filter? give me a f*in break, thats rediclous
i agree LOL ... whats next tires blow because of air filter...lol
Old 12-27-2007, 10:22 AM

yeah I really dont give a **** about the radio... it's just a mixture of that, the gauges, check engine light and ABS light all going nuts at the same time that makes me worry that I might have a serious electrical problem. All of it is kinda serious to me cause I only have 4000 miles of warranty left on the car. Seems like i've had nothin but troubles out of this car. kinda sucks because i absolutely love to drive it