Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

engine rattle

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question engine rattle

im wondering if anyone can help solve this problem. from time to time, hot or cold, my engine makes a weird rattling noise at idle. if i rev it up to even 1000rpm it goes away. it sounds sort of like a timing chain noise. ive brought it in to check it out time after time and can never get it to act up when i want to check it. i know its not the technician blowing me off because, well, i am the technician. ive heard about the internal service bulletin on the timing chain not going through the heat treating process. ive called and been told im just out of the build date and it may still be possible however. ive also read about the s/c couplers making noise. i tried to download a video posted a while back of the noise but never got it to work for me. im new the s/c thing, and am not sure whats normal noise. the other ss s/c's ive worked on dont have this noise as far as i know. i have no driveability issues or codes stored. just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and can help me out here. thanks in advance for any help.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:02 PM

What year is your car ? And there are a couple of threads that has a answer to this just look under the 2.0 performance section its a few things and its easier just to read the other threads
Old 05-06-2007, 06:05 PM

if you have an ss/sc are yousure your not hearing the suppercharger?
Old 05-06-2007, 06:19 PM

its a 2006 w/ 15k on it. ive read thread after thread and none of them really describe what im looking for. im not sure if it s the s/c or the timing chain. everyone else seems to complain about a constant rattle. mine only acts up every few days and like i said if i take it the slightest bit off idle it goes away. ive listened to the s/c and timing cover with a stethoscope many times and heard nothing similiar to my noise. but like i said it isnt acting up at all when ive been able to check it.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:30 PM

Well there is a sensor for air i believe that makes a loud ticking noise when you first start it up in the cold but it goes away after being warmed up
Old 05-06-2007, 06:36 PM

yeah, theres an evap solenoid on the driver side of the valve cover that has a light tap noise but that noise isnt rpm sensitive. thats the biggest difference ive seen between my problem and others. mine will go away with the slightest increase in rpm. kinda like the hydraulic timing chain tensioner isnt getting pumped up enough and causing the chain to rattle. im not really looking for a concrete diagnosis of the problem, just seeing if anyone else has a similar issue. if it does turn out to be the couplers making the noise, will any damage result from not replacing them?
Old 05-06-2007, 10:28 PM

i have it with my 07', i had it since 1200miles. The dealer told me im crazy, my noice is coming from inside the timing chain cover area aswell. A few people have had tensioner problems on here but their chain will break. now i have 9k onit and i see 7000rpm casually and it still strong. ALso check your betl tensioner pulley, mine has alot of slop init. I have complained about this problem for months now. So let is explode, i have 2 service papers saying i brought it back to the dealer compalining of a knock.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this sounds like what happened to me! i have a 05 s/c and i just got my car back b/c i had the same problem! but the s/c dont have timing chains they have a timing belt and pully!! and mine was the pully wore out they had to replace mine! and like you said i had a hard time getting them to catch it when it was doing it so best of luck to ya buddy!
Old 05-07-2007, 08:17 PM

this just happened to me, the dealership replaced the timing chain and a tensioner pulley, it runs smooth now
Old 05-07-2007, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by tREBs
this just happened to me, the dealership replaced the timing chain and a tensioner pulley, it runs smooth now
thats what im leaning towards doing. good to see the dealer ignored the build dates on that internal bulletin and did it for you anyways. i get tired of hearing people bash the dealer. makes people like me look bad ha.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:50 PM

Mine does this also on occassion. I thought it was the belt tensioner because I had heard that the bushings go bad, had it replaced under warranty and still get the noise once in awhile. The worst part is, that it doesn't happen often enough to where you can take it in to have it pin-pointed. It doesn't seem to effect performance at all, but it sounds like ****, when it does happen.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:44 PM

well i finally got it to act up on me at work and its definately coming from the s/c. now its just a matter of deciding whether to ignore it since nobodys had one crap out yet, buy some new couplers, or see if i can warranty it at work. i dont really want to take my hub off again tho. it was a pain to get on because of the crappy tool we had.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:24 PM

Question Engine Rattle Noise

I too have the same rattly noise coming from the timing chain area, started last winter and was intermittant at idle, you could sit there and listen to it come and go, well now it is quiet and has been good since then. I too am a tech, here in whitehorse yukon canada. I have another one in the shop right now and the kid describes it just like mine but I have yet to hear his make the noise. I have checked the timing chain and rollers etc as per tac line and all looks ok, his does fall into the internal bulletin. tac line also told me to check the oil pressure to see if it is dropping pressure when it makes the noise but I still have not been able to duplicate it. Driving me up the wall. Anyways thats my 2 cents on the deal. Hopefully something comes of this soon.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by 95cobra68camaro
i have it with my 07', i had it since 1200miles. The dealer told me im crazy, my noice is coming from inside the timing chain cover area aswell. A few people have had tensioner problems on here but their chain will break. now i have 9k onit and i see 7000rpm casually and it still strong. ALso check your betl tensioner pulley, mine has alot of slop init. I have complained about this problem for months now. So let is explode, i have 2 service papers saying i brought it back to the dealer compalining of a knock.
you guys aren't nuts... My 07 SS/SC does it every now and again. It sounds like a ******* diesel and the i give it a little pedal and it quiets down, drops to idle and the noise comes back until I take off from the stop sign... My brother thinks it's a chain tensioner, or something in the timing chain area.

Scott
Old 07-25-2007, 09:06 PM

Try clutch chatter. The factory clutch on the sc is a load of crap. Go aftermarket clutch and flywheel. Make sure u break it in proper (I cannot stress that enough) and u will have no more rattle. Good test to make sure we are talking about the same problem, when the rattling starts pull the e-brake, put it in 1st and pop the clutch a couple of times. Not enough to kill it of course, but just enough to feel some stress on the tranny. The noise should stop.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Sean
Try clutch chatter. The factory clutch on the sc is a load of crap. Go aftermarket clutch and flywheel. Make sure u break it in proper (I cannot stress that enough) and u will have no more rattle. Good test to make sure we are talking about the same problem, when the rattling starts pull the e-brake, put it in 1st and pop the clutch a couple of times. Not enough to kill it of course, but just enough to feel some stress on the tranny. The noise should stop.
I may try this, but not sure if that is the issue at hand. This noise comes on only when the vehicle as quite warm and the temp outside is pretty warm as well. It kinda sounds like a rod knock in a matter of speaking, but as soon as you blip the throttle slightly it goes away. I had my belt tensioner replaced and that wasn't it. It sounds like **** and is embarrasing to hear.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by 1gmfanatik
I may try this, but not sure if that is the issue at hand. This noise comes on only when the vehicle as quite warm and the temp outside is pretty warm as well. It kinda sounds like a rod knock in a matter of speaking, but as soon as you blip the throttle slightly it goes away. I had my belt tensioner replaced and that wasn't it. It sounds like **** and is embarrasing to hear.
happened to me once, i could hit the gas and it would go away. hmmmms. car probably only had 1k miles on it at the time, havent heard it lately tho.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:28 AM
JMH

Originally Posted by vacobaltss
im wondering if anyone can help solve this problem. from time to time, hot or cold, my engine makes a weird rattling noise at idle. if i rev it up to even 1000rpm it goes away. it sounds sort of like a timing chain noise. ive brought it in to check it out time after time and can never get it to act up when i want to check it. i know its not the technician blowing me off because, well, i am the technician. ive heard about the internal service bulletin on the timing chain not going through the heat treating process. ive called and been told im just out of the build date and it may still be possible however. ive also read about the s/c couplers making noise. i tried to download a video posted a while back of the noise but never got it to work for me. im new the s/c thing, and am not sure whats normal noise. the other ss s/c's ive worked on dont have this noise as far as i know. i have no driveability issues or codes stored. just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and can help me out here. thanks in advance for any help.
Well I just got mine back today, and it's the tensioner. It makes a helluva racket between 3-4000rpm, but maby it's the same problem.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:35 AM

Im experiencing the same issue.. dealer thinks its my belt.... Says it looks alittle dry.. ordered me a new one going in tomorrow to have it replaced... ill keep ya posted.. anyone have a listing of those build dates with the fucky tensioners.. mine is an 05 built in may i think...
Old 08-01-2007, 10:31 AM

UPDATE....!!

Took it in them still swearing its the belt, after telling them i thought it was the timing chain tensioner, left it there for that noise and another exhaust noise.. Low and Behold get it back today.. Timing chain Tensioner..!! WOW.. how did they know? lol also replaced my Cat,(components inside were loose) it was making a rustling noise between 60-80 km/hr.. Also had my head unit replaced, would not let me eject CDS.. So thank god for extended warrenty, cause that just got paid for...lol
Old 02-04-2015, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by tREBs
What tensioner pulley the one rrunning on the beLt?
Old 02-04-2015, 04:24 PM

Received 417 Likes on 341 Posts
He hasn't made a post in over three years, so you'll have to assume yes is your answer.

Just remember tensioner pulley is not the timing chain tensioner.