Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

engine (?) rattles

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Update #2

Finally got around to fixing my damn problem. Tore the valve cover off after work Tuesday night to find that my timing chain had a lot of slack. No big surprise there! I went ahead and ordered a new chain and chain tensioner since I found a bulletin on each. Tore the timing cover off the engine yesterday once the parts came in and replaced both. I did my car between other cars which limited me on time of course and caused me to go another day without transportation. The service writer was being a huge dick and wouldn't get me a rental on Tuesday or even Wednesday......yeah. After I almost had my car done last night he wanted to get me into a rental. What's one more day??

Oh and I'm the man.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mr_Slobalt
Finally got around to fixing my damn problem. Tore the valve cover off after work Tuesday night to find that my timing chain had a lot of slack. No big surprise there! I went ahead and ordered a new chain and chain tensioner since I found a bulletin on each. Tore the timing cover off the engine yesterday once the parts came in and replaced both. I did my car between other cars which limited me on time of course and caused me to go another day without transportation. The service writer was being a huge dick and wouldn't get me a rental on Tuesday or even Wednesday......yeah. After I almost had my car done last night he wanted to get me into a rental. What's one more day??

Oh and I'm the man.
Wait, so you had to replace your timing chain? Is that normal for a timing chain to just come loose? I think that is a little above my mechanical knowledge to do myself. It sounds like you work at a dealer, so do you think that I could get them to fix this problem with the service bulletin even if I cannot recreate the noise/problem? And if not, how much were the parts?

My car actually did it for the first time tonight, only for a minute or so, but like you said it sounds really bad as the videos show.

Also, you wouldn't happen to have poly engine/trans mounts would you? Just curious if that may be the culprit.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by N8s07SS
Wait, so you had to replace your timing chain? Is that normal for a timing chain to just come loose? I think that is a little above my mechanical knowledge to do myself. It sounds like you work at a dealer, so do you think that I could get them to fix this problem with the service bulletin even if I cannot recreate the noise/problem? And if not, how much were the parts?

My car actually did it for the first time tonight, only for a minute or so, but like you said it sounds really bad as the videos show.

Also, you wouldn't happen to have poly engine/trans mounts would you? Just curious if that may be the culprit.
Honestly I think it was just the tensioner, but since I had it apart and saw that there was a bulletin on timing chain rollers, I went ahead and did both. Warranty kicks ass.

Usually the only way they'll replace parts is if they can duplicate the issue. Bring it in immediately if you have the noise. It may take some time before it gets worse like mine. Approx. 16k miles before I could get it to rattle all the time. I have 17k now. There is a bulletin on the timing chain tensinoner that you might point them to. I don't have it on hand or I'd list the number for you.

No, I don't have any solid mounts on my car. Mine are actually still sitting in the trunk. I've been trying to fix this rattle pretty much since I've owned the car brand new and now that it's fixed I'm going to start putting on stuff.

Listen around the engine and tell me where you think the noise is coming from. You could hear mine around the back of the engine above the exhaust manifold and it amplified in the camshaft position sensor housing. I stuck a large prybar on the timing cover and on the head of the tensioner at the time of the rattle, and I couldn't hear a thing. Sound travels though.
Old 07-12-2008, 01:22 AM

Ok, well I have roughly the same mileage as you (19.5K), so I guess I'll just wait and see if I hear it again. I live pretty close to the dealer, so hopefully if it does happen again, I'll just run it up there real quick.

Now isn't that a fairly major issue? I mean if your timing chain was loose I don't see how that could not affect performance. Anyway, thanks for the helpful info. and I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Old 07-12-2008, 01:02 PM

Yeah if it gets worse you could destroy the motor.
Old 07-12-2008, 01:12 PM

Mine seems to make a nosie kinda like that, but only on hill on the first start up. once it runs for a lil bit it stops. and it dont happen all the time.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:08 PM

my cobalt did the same thing but it was from a bad take off when i was racing it only happen twise after that hasnt done it but it only happen to me from racing
Old 09-06-2008, 02:17 PM

mine sounded like that when my ac clutch went. I got a new one and the sound went away. That was 1000km ago, and I can start to hear the noise again.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:09 PM

I have an 07 and it started rattling somewhere around 10G. It does sound like a heat sheild, but sounds like a loose chain hitting the engine case. Dealer no frikin' help. No peformance problems though.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:39 PM

10g?
Old 04-08-2009, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by MikeyMo84
check the heat shield between the exhaust manifold and the steering shaft...mines snapped in half twice and rattles to ******* hell when it does...i think it snaps cuz of the torquing of the motor on full throttle launches...

i think my solution is gonna be to get a new shield and slot out the bolt holes and once i install it i wont tighten the bolts all the way...just snug with some loctite and hopefully it will allow for some movement under stress
mine rattles too some times, sunds like ti coming from the back on the engine, near the firewall, i'll check the heat shield. but mine only does it sometime so, dont no, thx for the idea though, i'll post if thats turns out to be the problem.