Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Failed Inspection for Inner Tie-Rod?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i will never take my car to a pep boys again. there have been investigations done where a test car was taken in for oil changes and such and the drain plug and filter marked and no work was done...no oil change...no filter change...and were charged for it. then pep boys employees started saying that they have quotas set by district managers that they have to meet and they wouldn't have time to do all the work so they have to cheat people. can't remember if this was local or nation wide...but it was on the news a year ago or so

fuuucccckkkk pep boys!!!!
Old 10-03-2011, 12:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by guitarenvy
you fail, hard.
Not exactly... I have done this several times when my inner tierod tool couldn't get it done.

I am a certified tech, I have been to hunter alignment school, and I am an inspector.
To properly check the tierods, there is a specific amount of maximum play the the joint can have and it depends on the vehicle. You can use a dial indicator that is used for the play, but most guys have gotten a feel for how much is not enough and how much is too much.

I have to say, that pepboys place should have had you shake the side that was loose, then take you to the tight side and shake it. Then have someone shake the loose side while he had you put your hand on the inner tierod and have you feel it also.

Please get an alignment soon after you do the tierod
And I would not replace both sides, unless there is play on both sides. But since you got both ordered, might as well do it.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i agree with the pepboy mechanic on here that even i'm a little tired of people saying they are tired of the markup on parts supplied by shops. they are paid what they are paid and charge what they charge. if you don't want to pay that much for parts you can go and buy your own parts and supply them so then you are only paying for labour. its the same if anyone comes to any one elses company your going to be paying more because someone else is bringing in the parts and installing them.

and tie rods shouldn't have any play in them but thats my opinion on that and the way i was taught at the GM dealer i worked at. and i personally do hate when people fix their own cars, thats great that you are willing to fix your own car and are capable of doing it but as the other guy said don't come to a persons work and gloat that you fixed it for half the price. they are just there making a living.

now granted alot of smaller shops do try to rip you off in one way or another, where the bigger shops have such a higher volume of customers that its not in their best interest to try and scam you, they recommened repairs if you accept they will do them, if you decline they move onto the next vehicle.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Verbatim
Not exactly... I have done this several times when my inner tierod tool couldn't get it done.

I am a certified tech, I have been to hunter alignment school, and I am an inspector.
To properly check the tierods, there is a specific amount of maximum play the the joint can have and it depends on the vehicle. You can use a dial indicator that is used for the play, but most guys have gotten a feel for how much is not enough and how much is too much.

I have to say, that pepboys place should have had you shake the side that was loose, then take you to the tight side and shake it. Then have someone shake the loose side while he had you put your hand on the inner tierod and have you feel it also.

Please get an alignment soon after you do the tierod
And I would not replace both sides, unless there is play on both sides. But since you got both ordered, might as well do it.
Certified tech? Elaborate on that....

What kind of inspector are you?

You fail, hard.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:36 PM

I have my degree in automotive
I have both my state safety and emissions
I have several ASEs
And I am currently going to an advanced electrical diagnostic school...

Oh and to OP, The inner tierod should come with some red loctite, I would HIGHLY recommend that you use it.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:43 PM

I have several ASEs
Great to hear,can always use more knowledge on the site.

And dont bother justifying yourself to him,he claims to be a tech which he himself claims is better than a mechanic but........
Never offers any advice to a poster and just flames everybody elses post with a smart ass remark.
Help we need self-rightiousness we can do without.

See for youself
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/sear...archid=4399661
Old 10-03-2011, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Coblasts

And dont bother justifying yourself to him,he claims to be a tech which he himself claims is better than a mechanic but........
Never offers any advice to a poster and just flames everybody elses post with a smart ass remark.

See for youself
exactly, this site needs more guys that are willing to help and not just flame, i help as much as i can and to the best of my knowledge.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by outtamymind
exactly, this site needs more guys that are willing to help and not just flame, i help as much as i can and to the best of my knowledge.
Good to hear.
We can all Learn from each other and do without the flaming which just ruins the site for people looking for answers.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:02 PM

ya i spent 6 years at a chevy dealership and got fed up with them not signing me up for my apprenticeship so i said **** it and now do repairs and upgrades for friends on the side. i'm always willing to learn new things too

but i do agree, there are alot of places that will try and screw their clients by recommending work that isn't needed to be done. those are the tech's that give the good ones a bad name
Old 10-03-2011, 07:24 PM

Good to hear.
We can all Learn from each other and do without the flaming which just ruins the site for people looking for answers.
The only reason was on here is for cobalt aftermarket parts info.

After seeing how coblasts and a few other regulars were posting solutions that were severely uneducated guesses, I decided to post the actual fixes based on real experience, and none of which are related to my own car.

Seriously though, some of the stuff you say coblasts, its rediculous.

As for this thread, I gave my answer earlier and apparently you backyard mechanics use barbi tool sets and sledge hammers to repair your vehicles.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:27 PM

yes guitarenvy you did post the correct info to check for a loose inner tie rod but then you went and started bashing everyone and saying they failed hard.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:49 PM

A pep boys mechanic uses a pipe wrench to change a tie rod? Thats quite funny.
Plus, the OPs answers to him a page ago was pretty good too.

I will refrain from any further bashing in this thread and a few select others.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:58 PM

we don't have pepboys up here. and i've personally seen some really stupid apprentices that shouldn't be anywhere near a car. i prefer to do things the right way and if i don't know how to do it i sure as hell will find out how. but thats just how i am
Old 10-03-2011, 10:11 PM

The only reason was on here is for cobalt aftermarket parts info.

After seeing how coblasts and a few other regulars were posting solutions that were severely uneducated guesses, I decided to post the actual fixes based on real experience, and none of which are related to my own car.

Seriously though, some of the stuff you say coblasts, its rediculous.

As for this thread, I gave my answer earlier and apparently you backyard mechanics use barbi tool sets and sledge hammers to repair your vehicles.
At least Im trying ,and Im sure youve never done work on a guess because you werent 100%
Sure and then not have the client charged for the time spent on it when it didnt solve the problem.
There all kind of posts on here about dealerships changing things out and not solving the problem!
Most guys are lucky it under warranty but not everyone.

We all dont have money for expensive tools or can afford the rates the dealerships charge
and alot of times its cheaper to throw parts at it on a guess ,rather than pay someone else to do the same.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:56 PM

A pep boys mechanic uses a pipe wrench to change a tie rod? Thats quite funny.
Plus, the OPs answers to him a page ago was pretty good too.

I will refrain from any further bashing in this thread and a few select others.
Whats wrong with using a pipe wrench to change a inner tie rod? The OP is a ******* loser POS moron. He has something against people who work on cars for a living which is disturbing. You want to buy me an inner tie rod removal kit for 200 bucks when a pipe wrench does the same thing?
Old 10-03-2011, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Phil424
Whats wrong with using a pipe wrench to change a inner tie rod? The OP is a ******* loser POS moron. He has something against people who work on cars for a living which is disturbing. You want to buy me an inner tie rod removal kit for 200 bucks when a pipe wrench does the same thing?
or go to any auto parts store and rent one for the day seeing as the first day is free and you get your deposit back when you bring it back
Old 10-04-2011, 12:01 AM

See for youself
Lmao, I "claim" Are you implying that I'm pretending to be a tech? I don't give 2 ***** if you believe me or not. Point is your a ******* douche bag moron who hates mechanics for outrages reasons. Yeah everyone in this trade is a thief scammer and every pepboys out there scams people right? Get a ******* life. I've helped plenty of people on this website and I make it my business to "flame" people like you that deserve it. You idiots need to be exposed.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by outtamymind
or go to any auto parts store and rent one for the day seeing as the first day is free and you get your deposit back when you bring it back
I've used one before its not really a big deal. Yeah it makes things a little easier, but its not worth 200 bucks. A pipe wrench does the job just fine. I've even seen people use channel locks to do innner tie rods which is funny as hell BUT it also works.

Also someone mentioned red lock tite on the threads of the inner tie rod? I hope your joking. If your going to use it, you use the blue one, the red one is for permanent locking and sealing of a fastener.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:07 AM

there's lots of little tricks of the trade that experienced techs have used. i don't recommend those tricks to people just starting to work on their vehicles as it can potentially damage other things.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:47 AM

Received 190 Likes on 150 Posts
I have several ASEs

Oh and to OP, The inner tierod should come with some red loctite, I would HIGHLY recommend that you use it.
Thanks for the heads up. I have blue loctite. I've been told red loctite is not what I want to use.

Edit: After reading through this I see Phil finally decided he would post something useful. Now if he would have done that from the begining I wouldn't have had to pick him apart in a previous post.

Last edited by blu3_v1p3r; 10-04-2011 at 12:59 AM.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by Phil424
LMAO Another Pepboys mechanic that uses a pipe wrench for an inner tie-rod... seems to be a common thing among you guys. While I may not be an auto mechanic, the Navy's avation structural mechanics school I went through taught me to use the right tool for the job, thus eliminating the need to go back and do rework when you screw something up using the wrong tools.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by blu3_v1p3r
LMAO Another Pepboys mechanic that uses a pipe wrench for an inner tie-rod... seems to be a common thing among you guys. While I may not be an auto mechanic, the Navy's avation structural mechanics school I went through taught me to use the right tool for the job, thus eliminating the need to go back and do rework when you screw something up using the wrong tools.
Using a pipe wrench for an inner tie rod doesn't screw anything up. Its a common thing because it get the job done and works. It is the right tool for the job. There a number of different ways to do an inner tie rod, so don't try to talk **** telling me a pipe wrench is the wrong tool and can mess it up. Complete BS.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:25 AM

I'm just saying... a pipe wrench is for pipes... it says so right in the name of the tool. Thats kinda like using a screw driver for a nail....
Old 10-04-2011, 07:43 AM

well, I wouldn't call it the "right" tool; But quite often in the automotive business, you wont always have the right tool for the right job, and you have to use what you have and make it work.

Oh and for the record...I do not work for Pep Boys...
Old 10-04-2011, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Phil424 - Ok I'm going to vent. I'm tired of seeing threads bashing mechanics. I myself am a tech at pepboys. We get customers like you all the time who come, get there car inspected, then get mad thinking that we are ripping them off and talk **** as we throw you out the door.
He said the pep monkey tried to sell him parts without even inspecting the ones that were on the car first. That's a rip off in my books.

Go play with your pipe wrench...

Last edited by SuperchargedSS; 10-04-2011 at 08:24 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quick Reply: Failed Inspection for Inner Tie-Rod?