Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Failed Inspection for Inner Tie-Rod?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil424
And I bet when your done the toe on that side will be fucked up beyond epic propulsions, and you'll end up towing the car to a shop and ranting again how they are ripping you off for bringing the car in in pieces.
I'm not interested in getting between you guys, but if I could get some epic propulsions for my HHR SS, I'd give Pep Boys or anybody else a thumbs-up. That's my kind of repair!
Old 10-05-2011, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by ATLsilverSS
i will never take my car to a pep boys again. there have been investigations done where a test car was taken in for oil changes and such and the drain plug and filter marked and no work was done...no oil change...no filter change...and were charged for it. then pep boys employees started saying that they have quotas set by district managers that they have to meet and they wouldn't have time to do all the work so they have to cheat people. can't remember if this was local or nation wide...but it was on the news a year ago or so

fuuucccckkkk pep boys!!!!
You mean Jiffy lube..... Jiffy Lube Scam Caught on Tape! - YouTube
Old 10-07-2011, 07:38 PM

Received 190 Likes on 150 Posts
So I changed out the inner tie rods today, at the autp hobby shop on Naval Air Station Oceana. I rented the inner tie rod tool set from auto zone. The tool rental from auto zone is free. How that works is that ytou pretty much buy the rental tool (roughly $60 for the inner tie rod tool), and when your done you return it and get a refund.

Like I said in an earlier post, the hardest part of this was finding my lug nut lock key. Took about 15 mins, because my wife stashed it in a kitchen drawer. Well, I paid $2 for an hour on the lift and 3 for the shop fee. It took me a total of 32 mins in the shop. I was pretty much right on about how long it would take to change the inner tie rod. It took me about 7 minutes on each side. I kept track of how much time it tool from after the tire was off until everything was torqued and the tire was ready to go back on. Air tools and a lift made this very easy. I ended up spending about 70 for parts and intalling them my self. The alingment at the hobby shop was 15. 85 Total for 2 inner tie rods

Now I was wondering... How can a shop, that says they are professionals, charge for 1.5 hours for installation, when I did this in 32 minutes start to finish? This is how shops rip people off. They tell you it takes 1.5 hours when it really takes 45 mins. They still charge you for the full 1.5 hours. using that you could easily do 10 to 11 hours work in 8 hours on paper.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:53 PM

good job. any pics?

yeah, shops always charge alot. was told about 4hrs($450 total) on my 06 wrx rear wheel bearing, just one side. took me about 40mins. lucky i had a press for the bearings. bearings cost me only $55
Old 10-07-2011, 09:49 PM

Received 190 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by ben_gary
good job. any pics?

yeah, shops always charge alot. was told about 4hrs($450 total) on my 06 wrx rear wheel bearing, just one side. took me about 40mins. lucky i had a press for the bearings. bearings cost me only $55
No I didn't take pics. I didn't really think about it untill I was leaving the shop.
Old 10-08-2011, 12:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by blu3_v1p3r
So I changed out the inner tie rods today, at the autp hobby shop on Naval Air Station Oceana. I rented the inner tie rod tool set from auto zone. The tool rental from auto zone is free. How that works is that ytou pretty much buy the rental tool (roughly $60 for the inner tie rod tool), and when your done you return it and get a refund.

Like I said in an earlier post, the hardest part of this was finding my lug nut lock key. Took about 15 mins, because my wife stashed it in a kitchen drawer. Well, I paid $2 for an hour on the lift and 3 for the shop fee. It took me a total of 32 mins in the shop. I was pretty much right on about how long it would take to change the inner tie rod. It took me about 7 minutes on each side. I kept track of how much time it tool from after the tire was off until everything was torqued and the tire was ready to go back on. Air tools and a lift made this very easy. I ended up spending about 70 for parts and intalling them my self. The alingment at the hobby shop was 15. 85 Total for 2 inner tie rods

Now I was wondering... How can a shop, that says they are professionals, charge for 1.5 hours for installation, when I did this in 32 minutes start to finish? This is how shops rip people off. They tell you it takes 1.5 hours when it really takes 45 mins. They still charge you for the full 1.5 hours. using that you could easily do 10 to 11 hours work in 8 hours on paper.
see this is where people don't understand. fully licensed mechanics are flat rate which means if they charge you 1.5hrs for the job and it takes them half hour then you are still billed for the 1.5 hrs but if they don't have any jobs come in they don't make money and they don't make money on come backs. hourly techs it doesn't matter if it takes them 1hr or 8hrs they still make the same amount of money as they clock in and out for the day.

its the same if you take say your computer in for repairs. yes we can do things extremely quick but we're still going to charge you the flat rate.

and its not the shops that make up the flat rates its the vehicle manufacturer engineers that tell you how long it should take. and the flat rate times are adjusted once a year based on repair orders and how much time the tech is actually taking to do the repair. so if alot of tech's are doing the repair in half the time then the manufacture updates their flat rates and will make them less.

this urks me to no end that people don't fully understand it
Old 10-08-2011, 03:41 AM

this is why im happy i have friends who are mechanics if i ever have something go wrong i can get it fixed for the cost of subway lol, and i usually learn a thing or two in the process.

i took my car to mavis to get new tires (i bought the tires and brought them there) and after they gave me the car back they tried to tell me that i needed new brakes and pads and wanted to charge me a few hundred$$ to replace them my car had like 18k on it at the time (i was replacing the tires bc i wanted to i still had another 10k from the stockers) i thought this was pretty strange a week later i bought some hawk ceramic pads and taught my self how to change my brake pads and it turns out my pads were fine they still had about 60% of life left in them

im not saying all techs are bad and i know everyone has to make money but alot of people will try to rip you off bc they hope you dont know anybetter
Old 01-24-2012, 10:58 PM

Your seriosly going to tell me you didn't ask the Oceana Hobby Shop for a tool? .FAIL X.X

I have rebuilt an entire drivetrain at that shop, if you happen to need special tools for like VW I could understand, but all else was provided...

I have to have this fixed too, not for state, but to remove this annoying thud that is destroying my cobalt addiction. Good that it's fixed, there is a meet 2nd weekend of Feb at the Oceana Nex...