Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Finally brought my Cobalt in..

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 03:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Finally brought my Cobalt in..

I was having warped rotor issues, the infamous brake pedal squeak, and my suspension would make a "clunking" noise when at very low speeds, or when completely stopped.

- Warped rotors: They cut/resurfaced them, under warranty.

- Brake pedal squeak: The Tech said it was coming from the rear of the car, and they said they would - clean the rear drums and manually adjust them, for $45.00; I told them - No thanks.

- "Clunking" noise at very low speeds or completely stopped: The Tech said it is possible that it could have something to do with the vibration from the warped rotors. Basically I think he just made up bullshit because I had "modified lowering springs" on the car.

Shouldn't that brake pedal squeak be under warranty though.. I mean what the ****, the car did not do that when I got it. I've seen many threads on here about it, it is a known problem; just like the "clunking" noise.

I'm sure it will only be a matter of time before the rotors are fucked again, too.

For reference, I go to the Bill Jacobs dealership in Joliet, Illinois.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have them check the control arm bushings for the clunking.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:27 PM

Sway bar links caused me to have the clunk,I thought it was the control arm bushings but it turned out to be the sway bar links instead.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:28 PM

Sway bar links caused me to have the clunk,I thought it was the control arm bushings but it turned out to be the sway bar links instead.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just had my rotors turned and my rear drums turned/adjusted as well for the same noise. But my dealer warrentied it I'm only at 17,500 miles thought.

Also, How did you do your catch can?
Old 07-01-2009, 06:45 AM

it should be bumper to bumper if you are still under warranty.i just brought mine in for the same thing.i had my brakes done under a year ago and the steering wheel shakes again when i brake.i also have the steering column clunk and front end clunk.when i went to the dealer last week the service guy said basically i am **** out of luck.he said its my driving style that warped the rotors.fast forward to yesterday when i brought it in for the "service airbag" light for the 2nd time.i talked to another guy who informed me that the person i had talked to had been fired.he printed up a work order for all the problems i am having.he said he would check everything and see what he could do on his end.he told me he would also give me a number to call GM directly and explain the problems.its worked in the past he told me as they picked up the tab.rotors are going to be resurfaced for free.also have a bent rim he is gonna try and replace.guy was real nice.i just took this car over from my wife and have realized it feels like im driving a 10 yr old car.if i could get all these problems taken care of i may start modifying.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by bigmd
it should be bumper to bumper if you are still under warranty.i just brought mine in for the same thing.i had my brakes done under a year ago and the steering wheel shakes again when i brake.i also have the steering column clunk and front end clunk.when i went to the dealer last week the service guy said basically i am **** out of luck.he said its my driving style that warped the rotors.fast forward to yesterday when i brought it in for the "service airbag" light for the 2nd time.i talked to another guy who informed me that the person i had talked to had been fired.he printed up a work order for all the problems i am having.he said he would check everything and see what he could do on his end.he told me he would also give me a number to call GM directly and explain the problems.its worked in the past he told me as they picked up the tab.rotors are going to be resurfaced for free.also have a bent rim he is gonna try and replace.guy was real nice.i just took this car over from my wife and have realized it feels like im driving a 10 yr old car.if i could get all these problems taken care of i may start modifying.
Don't you love how GREAT the quality is in the Cobalt
Old 07-07-2009, 10:33 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
hell yeah that should all be under warranty unless they can prove somehow that the springs caused something. My ms3 had squeaking issues from the downpipe and windshield and I just kept bringing it in until it was fixed. That is covered. If they say it isnt, talk to their boss, then that boss and keep going up.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:56 PM

are you talking about the noise where your drum makes a squeak noise when you let off the petal? i had that to and the place that did my brakes adjusted them a little tighter and they went away, its only been about a week so it might come back..

they said this happens cause for some reason my brakes get realllllly hot really fast

btw i PMd you