Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

First Date Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 09:58 AM

Received 291 Likes on 268 Posts
Which means, The potential of a cracked head, or block.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speaking of ladies on dates, I had my wife sanding down the paint on my buddies car with us in prep for paint. She loved it, and she looked good doing it. Serious winning was had that day.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:30 AM

I also cracked my radiator recently, my question is what's the best replacement other than the moshimoto? Just looking for something cheaper unless it's realllllyyyy worth it to get that one
Old 02-12-2014, 01:39 AM

Well just to keep everyone updated with what is going on. The car is at ZZP right now and at first they were just going to put a new oversized ZZP Radiator on the car but after further investigation they discovered the H/E was also bent and needed to be replaced. So then they also replaced the H/E and sice the car was all dismantled I also told Tim and the guys to replace the IC pump as well. So everything was finally good and back together then apparently when ZZP went and fired up the car the first time since they replaced everything, apparently the car immediately stalled out after being turned over and a **** ton of white smoke blew out the exhaust. So then after talking with Tim again he told me either the Laminova Cores were shot or the head gasket needed to be replaced. So I planned on the worst and expected the car needed a new head gasket. So Tim made sure to check the Intake Manifold first and the cores by pressure testing the unit and found out right away the cores in the manifold were shot. Apparently though the cores are not fixable which I was wondering is that possible? Can the cores not be fixable because now ZZP is telling me I need to purchase a brand new LSJ Manifold which will come with brand new cores but it seems like **** just keeps going wrong with the car. I trust ZZP and what Tim is telling me but can the laminova cores really be unfixable cause if so well then FML! and hello to a brand new manifold. Also since the car is already ripped apart would you guys recommend having ZZP also install the Dual Pass Endplate on the car as well or should I just wait till later and do the endplate myself? All in all a $600-$700 fix has now turned into about a $1400-$1500 fix. (If it has **** or tires, it will cause you problems and money!)
Old 02-12-2014, 02:22 AM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
hell might as well get the dual pass and call it a day.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:24 AM

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
Well...to be fair...you hit the rock...then dumped cold water(I imagine) into a warm engine...so I don't quite think this is the cars fault Maybe the seals around the cores are shot? if so you can prob go to the hardware store and get a couple of o-rings to replace them or go to GM. The only thing I would be concerned with is making sure the coolant won't eat the seal you replace them with. Not sure tho you'd have to pull out the cores and make sure they are reusable first
Old 02-12-2014, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by Haven07
Well...to be fair...you hit the rock...then dumped cold water(I imagine) into a warm engine...so I don't quite think this is the cars fault Maybe the seals around the cores are shot? if so you can prob go to the hardware store and get a couple of o-rings to replace them or go to GM. The only thing I would be concerned with is making sure the coolant won't eat the seal you replace them with. Not sure tho you'd have to pull out the cores and make sure they are reusable first
It wasn't a rock lol, but rather a couple chunks of snow of a snowbank on the side of the road after a snowplow was about 300ft in front of me. With this being said to you think ZZP would know by now if I have a cracked head or block. Also I think I got lucky because I only put in a tiny bit of water but the car was off and not running but it was like a second after I poured a little water in the coolant tank that it came pouring out from the drivers side of the radiator so I don't think any water even went into the motor or block but rather poured out before making it that far. With my job as a Firefighter/EMT I need my car back ASAP to run calls and get to work so I don't have the time to take it apart and not have a running vehicle. I think now with everything invested in ZZP I am just going to have them install the dual pass as well. Could I install the dual pass though when I do the Option B in a couple months? Will I need to take the blower off and have access to the side of the manifold when I install the dual pass anyway?
Old 02-12-2014, 02:54 AM

If you can spring do the option b as well as the dual pass.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:22 AM

You think I should wait till Spring time then to do the dual pass and Option B?
Old 02-12-2014, 03:29 AM

I'm no authority on the matter but I do know option b will do a lot more for your car than dual pass would do. Option b bleeds air bubbles out the coolant system which would do more for your coolant system then dual pass would.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:34 AM

Ya good call on that Haven, I think I am going to hold off on the dual pass till Spring when I have some more funds lol. Thanks for your input and I will keep you all updated on the final outcome.