Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

fog lights won't turn off

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fog lights won't turn off

the other day when i parked my car i noticed that my fog lights were still on. I tried turning the light on off a few time pressed the fog light buttun but they would not turn off. i tried everything i could think of but it did not work. so i ended up pulling the fuse for the fog lights. does anyone know what would cause this my car is completely stock no after market radio or lights its an 07 ss/sc any help would be great thanks.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there's a short somewhere. thats all i can think of off the top of my head. where the short is i haven't the foggiest
Old 12-22-2009, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by outtamymind
there's a short somewhere. thats all i can think of off the top of my head. where the short is i haven't the foggiest
Nice Pun !!!!!

Try putting on your high beams and let me know if they go out like they should.

You could try tapping the relay in the under hood fuse box for the fog lamps(labled Fog LP Pcb)

Is there any signs of moisture in your fuse box under the Hood ????

Last edited by Coblasts; 12-22-2009 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-22-2009, 06:45 PM

hahaha i didn't even think of that lol just put that there. but chances are its a short to open and agreed the fog lights should turn off when the high beams are turned on. you might have a bad swich that isn't recognizing the off part of the circuit
Old 12-23-2009, 04:37 PM

the fuse box is dry, there are no leaks. and the fog lights stay on when the high beams are on
Old 12-23-2009, 04:41 PM

When you find out tell me I want mine to never turn off
Old 12-23-2009, 04:50 PM

Sounds like the relay is staying on,Have some one place there finger on the fog light relay.
then turn them on and off and they should feel the relay switch both times if it wont switch off try tapping it.
What you can also do is pull the relay while they are stuck on and if you feel the relay transition when you pull it (relay isnt stuck on then)then the trouble is between the bcm and the relay but then I would think its still a fuse box problem(could be condensation underneath).

Heres a discription on how they work
Might help you figure it out.

With the ignition switch in the ON position, and the park lamps or low beam headlights ON, the fog lights will illuminate when the driver presses the fog lamp switch. The FRT FOG fuse in the underhood fuse block supplies battery positive voltage to the switch side of the FRT FOG relay. When the fog lamp switch is pressed, the body control module (BCM) fog lamp switch input is grounded. Ground is provided at G203. The BCM will then energize the FRT FOG relay control circuit. The current flow is now from the FRT FOG relay to both front fog lamps and to ground. Ground is provided at G101 and G102. The state of the fog lamps , either ON or OFF, will remain the same until the fog lamp switch is pressed again, or the ignition switch is cycled OFF and ON. Fog lamp operation will be cancelled whenever the park lamps, are turned OFF or the high beam headlights have been selected.

Found this trouble shooting procedure

Fog Lamps Always On
Step
Action
Yes
No

Schematic Reference: Fog Lights Schematics

Connector End View Reference: Master Electrical Component List

Did you perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle?
Go to Step 2
Go to Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle

•Turn the ignition to the ON position.
•Press the fog lamp switch to the OFF position.
Are the fog lamps OFF?
Go to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections
Go to Step 3

Using a scan tool, command the fog lamps OFF.

Are the fog lamps illuminated?
Go to Step 5
Go to Step 4

•Disconnect the scan tool.
•Disconnect the fog lamp switch.
•Connect a 3-amp fused jumper wire between the front fog lamp switch signal circuit and a good ground.
Are the fog lamps illuminated?
Go to Step 6
Go to Step 9

Test the fog lamp voltage supply circuit for a short to voltage. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs .

Did you find and correct the condition?
Go to Step 13
Go to Step 7

Test the front fog lamp switch signal circuit for the following:

• An open

• A high resistance

• A short to ground

Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs .

Go to Step 13
Go to Step 8

Inspect for poor connections at the harness connector of the underhood fuse block. Refer to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs .

Go to Step 13
Go to Step 10

Inspect for poor connections at the harness connector of the body control module (BCM). Refer to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs .

Go to Step 13
Go to Step 11

Inspect for poor connections at the harness connector of the fog lamp switch. Refer to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs .

Go to Step 13
Go to Step 12

Replace the underhood fuse block. Refer to Underhood Electrical Center or Junction Block Bracket Replacement .

Did you complete the replacement?
Go to Step 13
--

Replace the BCM. Refer to Control Module References for replacement, setup, and programming.

Go to Step 13
--

Replace the fog lamp switch. Refer to Fog Lamp Switch Replacement .

Go to Step 13
--

Operate the system in order to verify the repair.

Did you correct the condition?

Last edited by Coblasts; 12-23-2009 at 05:05 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:17 PM

Any updates on this, my car recently started having this probklem. Stock fog lights, they come on soon as I turn the key and wont turn off till I pull the fuse. The fog relay is part of the fuse box so I was curious if anyone has any incite...

-Alex
Old 12-22-2011, 06:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
bad relay or bad switch
Old 12-23-2011, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Sevensix9
Any updates on this, my car recently started having this probklem. Stock fog lights, they come on soon as I turn the key and wont turn off till I pull the fuse. The fog relay is part of the fuse box so I was curious if anyone has any incite...

-Alex
Sevensix9,

There's already great information in the thread, and I understand that dealership visits aren't for everybody. If you were to visit a dealership for a diagnosis on this, please let me know as I would like to follow up with you (and the dealership).

Best,
Sarah
GM Customer Service
Old 12-26-2011, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Cust Svc
Sevensix9,

There's already great information in the thread, and I understand that dealership visits aren't for everybody. If you were to visit a dealership for a diagnosis on this, please let me know as I would like to follow up with you (and the dealership).

Best,
Sarah
GM Customer Service
I was more so curious as to how much of a pain was it to replace the fusebox or BCM as I couldn't find info on the process.

Also the dealer here is the worst place ever, I had boost issues when I first got the car where she only made 5psi, I took it into the dealership and they were pretty positive that is all the boost the TC's would make, it took them 3 months of having the car, calling me every day saying it was fixed only for me to pick it up drive it and find it was broken. In the end it took a GM rep to get them to fix it.

-Alex