Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Gauge cluster issues?!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 06:54 PM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Gauge cluster issues?!?

I did several searches, and am no better off - so I'm reaching out the the community for help.

Please keep all tune related scoffing to yourself, as I am legitimately looking for opinions based on fact rather than conjecture.
Ok, here it goes;

I updated the tune on a local's car the other night, when my laptop flat out died (I totally missed that the battery was nearly dead).

After a brief period of panic, I retrieved a power converter, restarted my laptop, and was able to restart, and complete the reflash.

We were out of the woods... or so I thought.

The next day I recieved a message that the fuel gauge was not operating - but the fuel range warning had not popped up.
Later that night I yet again reflashed the car, and upon completeion the fuel gauge appeared to work just fine.

Today I got a message that the gauge appears to be working erratically.

I messaged my tuner, and he suggested to me that this was probably an unfortunate coincidence, as the tune does not affect the readings of the fuel gauge.

I feel for the guy, and don't want to leave him hanging - can someone suggest what might be going on?

How does the fuel gauge get input to the gauge cluster? ~ is it possible that reflashing the ECM could in ANY way fudge up the gauge's reading?

It might be worth noting that we're getting over a nasty cold snap here, and one of my freinds had a similar issue with her car - but in her case the electronic speedometer was pegged wayyyy past it's reading ~ just from the car being on...

Incase it matters, the car in question is a 2008 Cobalt SS.

I sincerely appreciate, and look forward to any insight that any of you might have.