Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

GM F**Ks another customer again!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sneaky
yep. I seen you had to do the same thing I did

Was any of my information helpful a week or two back? That's about how my car looked. Also, when you hook the steering wheel back up your going to need to get an alignment cause the steering wheel will never go back on without looking like it's turning when it's straight.

It's sad that it has to come down to this. All this just to reach a few god damn bolts that I wish they would have put on the OUTSIDE of the firewall not the inside.
Yep, your right. Two f'in bolts. Should have the car back today. The dealer did the work. I have a couple of buddies that work at Shaginappi Chev. I would of done it myself but just don't have the time.

Originally Posted by Coblasts
What was the original problem that led to this. Symptoms etc that made them look at the master cylinder mounting hole.
Just curious for future reference.
Start at the beginning of this thread. There are a couple of pics I created that show the problem plus Sneaky has a link (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/show...aster+cylinder) that explains what happened really well.

Few updated pics of my car. As of today they were at 14 hours labour. I will have the car back tomorrow so I am at least looking at a hefty bill.

The old plate with the damage.

Interior of the car.

Under the Hood.

I hope this does not happen to anyone else cause it's nasty.

Last edited by Kaisoboy; 04-17-2008 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-18-2008, 09:03 AM
Banned

that's the same damage my plate had. I just don't understand how the clutch master cylinder jump out? It's a plastic ******* part for christ sakes.

metal > plastic.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:05 AM

sounds like a dealer issue... Not really GMs fault..
Old 04-18-2008, 09:19 AM
Banned

I thought so too until I seen he has the same breaks that I did in the firewall plate.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:26 AM

yeah, people i know that have the same problem in my area, the dealer fixes it for them... under warranty...
Old 04-18-2008, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by 07SSCharged248
yeah, people i know that have the same problem in my area, the dealer fixes it for them... under warranty...
Maybe if you could get copies of their invoices and fax them to Kaisoboy he could get in touch with GM customer service and they might be able to help him. Proof that other people are having the same problem goes a loooong way with GM. Just a thought. I know my dealership will fix things once as a goodwill warranty even if the vehicle has 80,000 miles on it, if the problem is a known product problem. It's worth a shot to save him some cash.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:58 AM

The thing here is that even with a stiffer clutch throw this should never happen. When I bought this car it had 19000 km on the clock. The guy that owned it before me had a first gen. CM FX 400 paird with a fordanza flywheel and used to race it but the dealer does not know that. Those first gen CM clutches were pourly designed and the clutch prety much fell appart and he did not change the slave/throwout bearing when he did it either. So when that clutch was going I used to have to push it in quite hard to get it to ingauge so this problem could have been compounded from last year and it decided to give up the ghost.

I really feel like I can't trust this car anymore so I have booked an apointment to test drive a Golf GTI 2.0T. I need a car that I can rely on.

I have spent almost 5000 CAD on this clutch alone.

Cheers
Old 04-18-2008, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by chipsgt
Uh.... lemon that car.
I think you qualify.
Yeah definetely lemon that.

I had my 08 since Oct 2007 and except for the powersteering having problems starting in cold weather; my car has been doing fine w/5895 miles.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Kaisoboy
I really feel like I can't trust this car anymore so I have booked an apointment to test drive a Golf GTI 2.0T. I need a car that I can rely on.
Ummm....have you checked out Consumer Reports? I was looking at the GTI before the Cobalt...and I bought the Cobalt. Trust me it has nothing to do with money....I make more then enough.

The GTI is known for having a lot of issues....so you might want to check into it before buying the car.

Originally Posted by Blue_Balt
Yeah definetely lemon that.

I had my 08 since Oct 2007 and except for the powersteering having problems starting in cold weather; my car has been doing fine w/5895 miles.
Canada does not have a lemon law....so we can not go that route.

Last edited by DoubleLP; 04-18-2008 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-18-2008, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by DoubleLP
Ummm....have you checked out Consumer Reports? I was looking at the GTI before the Cobalt...and I bought the Cobalt. Trust me it has nothing to do with money....I make more then enough.

The GTI is known for having a lot of issues....so you might want to check into it before buying the car.

No I have not checked the consumer reports but I will. I only talked to the guy yesterday on my lunch break. If I decide to buy a new car I do my research. It is the same with the Cobalt. Did the consumer report search and they said it was a overall good car. With all of these fixes though I just feel like I don't trust it anymore. I know the car is modified but when others, including the Techs have said this also has happened on the stock setup I feel that GM should warranty it or at least half. I am not blaming GM and know it is at the dealers discression whether to grant warranty. I know that Cody raced this car before I owned it so this problem could be compounded from back then like I mentioned in my post above.

I put a call into GM Customer care and they are going to phone **** and see if we can come to a compromise.

I'll keep you posted.

Last edited by Kaisoboy; 04-18-2008 at 11:56 AM.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Kaisoboy
No I have not checked the consumer reports but I will. I only talked to the guy yesterday on my lunch break. If I decide to buy a new car I do my research. It is the same with the Cobalt. Did the consumer report search and they said it was a overall good car. With all of these fixes though I just feel like I don't trust it anymore. I know the car is modified but when others, including the Techs have said this also has happened on the stock setup I feel that GM should warranty it or at least half. I am not blaming GM and know it is at the dealers discression whether to grant warranty. I know that Cody raced this car before I owned it so this problem could be compounded from back then like I mentioned in my post above.

I put a call into GM Customer care and they are going to phone **** and see if we can come to a compromise.

I'll keep you posted.
Yeah I completely agree that GM should definitely do something for you. This is not a "wear and tear" item.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by DoubleLP
Yeah I completely agree that GM should definitely do something for you. This is not a "wear and tear" item.
I just got off the phone with GM customer care and well that did not get me anywhere.

I even explained to them that I have proof that this happend to numerous cars with OEM parts. It's tough when you are talking to someone who really does not care hundreds of miles away.

17 hours labour + parts = Cost for this failure = 2520.10 CAD
Old 04-18-2008, 04:06 PM

Ouch! That sucks. I know the feeling. To have the clutch replaced in my old Matrix was $1600 and some change.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:12 PM

Well it's part and parcel to owning a performance vehicle I guess.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:33 PM

See i feel it 90% dealer... My dealer is going to replace my rubber for me in a couple of weeks, and i mean tire ware isnt usually sumthing done under warranty but Wally Edgar (Best in Mich according to GM) is all about customer satisfaction..
Old 04-18-2008, 10:39 PM

Get anything but a VW. You're just asking for problems.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Drakonen2000
burn the place down and demand your stapler back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That was a good movie dude!!