Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

grinding noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
grinding noise

first off hello everyone
i have a 2006 colbolt and i hear a funny grinding from front end,so i thought i needed brakes .well i was wrong the pads are in mint shape,by he way the car has 54k on it,my buddy is a airplane mech and he said i need LEFT FRONT WHEEL BEARING,opps.anyway i spoke to a few people and i am being told that wheel bearings should last a very long time,please if you have any ideas it would be great,also if it is that can i repack them? thank you in advance

someone must have some ideas,help me out

Last edited by lennyg; 09-07-2009 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-07-2009, 08:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The front hubs going premature is quite common.
And No you cant repack them.
And just so you no you have a 60,000 5 year powertrain warranty that does cover the wheel bearings as part of the powertrain.
Bring it in and ask the dealer !
Old 09-07-2009, 08:12 PM

I had my front right bearing go at 50k miles.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:31 AM

thanks guy

Originally Posted by Coblasts
The front hubs going premature is quite common.
And No you cant repack them.
And just so you no you have a 60,000 5 year powertrain warranty that does cover the wheel bearings as part of the powertrain.
Bring it in and ask the dealer !
even if i am the second owner of car.does the powertrain warranty still cover
Old 09-08-2009, 06:04 PM

well just got back from chevy dealer.at first i was told only 3 36k.but then i told ,well ask him to look again and sure enough the 2006 models do have a 5/60k powertrain.aslo the tech drove it ,it seems i need both sides done in the front,will drop off in morning and will be ready by 2 :00 pm thanks for the info COBLASTS
Old 09-12-2009, 05:37 AM

hello ,well i dropped car off at 6:00 am and at noon got a cll from dealer to pick car up.they replaced both hubs free of charge that aweful noise is there.now i just hear tire wear,which i find funny.my back tires are choppy looking on inside.going this weekend to get 4 wheel alingment,but i think it is the junk firestone tires.anyone tell me what goodyear tires are best to put on,not for racing guys,i drive 2 lil kids home from school,i dont need eagle gts like on the iroc ,,thanks for all the info
Old 09-12-2009, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by lennyg
hello ,well i dropped car off at 6:00 am and at noon got a cll from dealer to pick car up.they replaced both hubs free of charge that aweful noise is there.now i just hear tire wear,which i find funny.my back tires are choppy looking on inside.going this weekend to get 4 wheel alingment,but i think it is the junk firestone tires.anyone tell me what goodyear tires are best to put on,not for racing guys,i drive 2 lil kids home from school,i dont need eagle gts like on the iroc ,,thanks for all the info
Hi, I was wondering how long have you had you LS? just curious if you had just bought it.
The description of the tire wear is funky, there is no real adjustment for the rear tires,
just thought that maybe if the previous owner rotated the fronts to the back. If that
is the case, that choppy look to the inside of tread could mean it needs a toe adjustment
and or the strut cartriages are bad.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:41 AM

I had an eclipse that would wear through all four tires in less than a month. Turned out the unibody was bent. Are these cars unibody? I havent even looked at mine, havent had it too long and my wife drives it.
Old 09-12-2009, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Jeffs 06SS 2.4
I had an eclipse that would wear through all four tires in less than a month. Turned out the unibody was bent. Are these cars unibody? I havent even looked at mine, havent had it too long and my wife drives it.
Yes uni-body
Old 09-12-2009, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by fjordbosun
Hi, I was wondering how long have you had you LS? just curious if you had just bought it.
The description of the tire wear is funky, there is no real adjustment for the rear tires,
just thought that maybe if the previous owner rotated the fronts to the back. If that
is the case, that choppy look to the inside of tread could mean it needs a toe adjustment
and or the strut cartriages are bad.
hello,i bought the car used when i moved to knoxvile last year,it has 26k i paided i think 8,200 for it from a nissan dealer.and yes toe adjustment is what the guy said,i just did not say it that way,like tonight coming home from smokie baseball game on i 40,real quiet .i can hear it is now from the rear the noise,the tires on car have 30k miles on them i put them on a weel after i got car last june.i like the car it has enough pep for me,i am done with hot rods,loli just cant stand noises in my car.in my head well,i hear plenty of voices.so to make this short lol, i am going sunday for a oil change and tire rotation at firestone.and next week wheel alignment and toe adjustment so after next week i will update

LETS GO SMOKIES AA FOR CUBS