Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Headlight went out

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by metroplex
The OEM rated lifespan for 9007 low-beams is in the range of about 800-1300 hours. That is usually when the bulbs start to drop in light output enough to warrant replacement. Unless you are using your low beams 24/7, they should last longer than 4 months. I wonder if your SilverStar failures have anything to do with your DRL's. Did you disable the DRL?

The SilverStars aren't that much brighter than stock according to Sylvania! The bulbs cannot be brighter in order to comply with FMVSS regulations. The biggest difference with the SilverStars is the gas mixture. It is closer to a white light (4000K or so) and as such, it burns hotter which contributes to a MUCH shorter lifespan (about 400 hours IIRC). The SilverStar Ultra is supposed to be better but even Sylvania recommends their XtraVision if you want more light with the same lifespan as stock bulbs.

As for the light output, the XtraVisions are still a 3200K halogen white light (slightly yellow) but they're noticeably brighter than stock Sylvania LongLife (LL) or standard. The SilverStars trick your brain into thinking it is brighter because of the white color (4000K). The human eye perceives white light quite differently from yellow light.

PIAA, Nokya, and other manufacturers of tinted bulbs are just selling you overpriced junk. I would recommend you give the Sylvania XtraVision 9007 a try since they're generally available at Wal-Mart for under $20/pair. When I last saw them they were about $18/pair. Make sure you clean the glass with isopropyl alcohol, make sure it is free of lint, and AVOID TOUCHING the glass at all costs. I would also look at the headlight alignment and consider disabling the DRL's to reduce the wear on the low beams.

Great info.

Also everyone should know that Silverstars have a guaruntee (6 months I think) so hold onto your receipts in case yours go out early.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:55 PM

The OEM rated lifespan for 9007 low-beams is in the range of about 800-1300 hours. That is usually when the bulbs start to drop in light output enough to warrant replacement. Unless you are using your low beams 24/7, they should last longer than 4 months. I wonder if your SilverStar failures have anything to do with your DRL's. Did you disable the DRL?

The SilverStars aren't that much brighter than stock according to Sylvania! The bulbs cannot be brighter in order to comply with FMVSS regulations. The biggest difference with the SilverStars is the gas mixture. It is closer to a white light (4000K or so) and as such, it burns hotter which contributes to a MUCH shorter lifespan (about 400 hours IIRC). The SilverStar Ultra is supposed to be better but even Sylvania recommends their XtraVision if you want more light with the same lifespan as stock bulbs.

As for the light output, the XtraVisions are still a 3200K halogen white light (slightly yellow) but they're noticeably brighter than stock Sylvania LongLife (LL) or standard. The SilverStars trick your brain into thinking it is brighter because of the white color (4000K). The human eye perceives white light quite differently from yellow light.

PIAA, Nokya, and other manufacturers of tinted bulbs are just selling you overpriced junk. I would recommend you give the Sylvania XtraVision 9007 a try since they're generally available at Wal-Mart for under $20/pair. When I last saw them they were about $18/pair. Make sure you clean the glass with isopropyl alcohol, make sure it is free of lint, and AVOID TOUCHING the glass at all costs. I would also look at the headlight alignment and consider disabling the DRL's to reduce the wear on the low beams.
Great post! thank you, DRL means day running lights im assuming? the only thing I have is the orange markers going during the day I put my switch on auto on the column
Old 04-13-2009, 04:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep, my theory is that the Daytime Running Lights (DRL) keeps the SilverStars running in low beam, and since it already has a low rated lifespan, the DRL's cause them to fail much quicker.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:16 AM

ya makes sense but if my headlights werent on during the day then those bulbs just suck haha
Old 05-17-2009, 03:25 AM

Sorry to bump an old thread, but, i just bought some silverstars from walmart, and i agree, they arent much brighter at all, BUT, the main thing i noticed is the area of the road that is lit up, these light up the sides of the road WAY better then the oem bulbs, and thats mainly what i wanted. For anyone tearing up backroads and worried about deer, these are a MUST HAVE, or any other aftermarket bulb that is shorter i assume would do the same thing... by shorter i mean literally the bulb sits back farther changing the angle a little which puts the light to the sides more... not to mention the white looks cooler than the stupid yellow oem....
Old 05-17-2009, 10:19 AM

you can get crystal visions at Strauss Auto parts.