Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Help for a first timer! Supercharger oil, tranny fluid, fuel filter, high/low beams!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help for a first timer! Supercharger oil, tranny fluid, fuel filter, high/low beams!

So I've been using these forums like crazy while I'm fixing up my salvage 2006 LSJ Cobalt. But i have a couple of questions that I can't seem to find the answer to or I don't quite understand them. So I apologize ahead of time.

1. Supercharger oil
There is so many different opinions on this. I've heard that some people never change it. But I just want the peace of mind. Some say fill it until it overflows, others say that will blow seals. Some say to top it off, others to drain the whole thing. What's the correct answer on this? I think I'm going to take the supercharger off, drain it, measure the fluid, and then fill it with the same amount....

2. Transmission Fluid
There is finally a thread for which is the correct fluid to use. I settled on RedLine MT-90 because they said it was the only aftermarket fluid acceptable and ZZP sold it, so I figured it was good to use. BUT, which is the correct way to fill it? People have said that there is a fill hole in the engine bay but i can't seem to find it. Is it fine to fill it in the "level hole" or whatever the hole above the drain plug is called or do I need to fill it above that hole?

3. Fuel Filter
People say to unplug the fuel pump fuse and let the car stall. Will this harm the car in any way? I've heard it isn't good to run a car out of gas. What will happen if I just change it without starving it?

4. High/Low beams
I have hids and I hate to flicker them on and off. I'm in need of some real help with these. I want all of my lights to stay on with the highs. So when my lows are on, I get my lows and fogs. When my highs go on, i lose my lows and fogs. I really need them all to stay on. I found a thread that showed you how to keep lows on with highs, but it said that you can only do it that way if you used a relay harness, which I didn't.

If anyone can help me in any way, please do!
I appreciate any help that you guys can offer!
Old 10-28-2012, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. Depends on the condition of it really. If it's making noises, etc. I'm at 158k and haven't changed the SC oil once.. Use that as a rule of thumb. Check out ZZP's rebuild kit for that.

2. Yes that oil is fine. I would take off drive tire, and do it by fill and drain holes. You should level all four sides of the car.

3. Just let the car sit for a minute instead of doing all that fuse bs.. I didn't get any fuel out when changing the filter.

4. Dunno about this.