Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

HELP! Loud grinding metallic scrapping noise!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 07:02 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down HELP! Loud grinding metallic scrapping noise!

Ok so I've noticed noise a few times now. When I am driving and hit the brakes and make a turn suddenly (i.e. braking on a fast moving road to turn into my supermarket and then being free spirited in my parking lot and braking hard before hanging a right to turn myself out so I can back in) I get a loud metal screeching sound.

Now on the otherhand I have noticed (twice) that when I am backing up and am making a hard righthand turn and am bringing the wheel back to center i get a very loud rubbing sound (loud like over the stereo, loud).

Now for the facts.

The first time I head the metal screeching sound I was braking down from about 40 MPH and turning right into a driveway with a gentle apron. The second time I heard the screeching sound I was pulling into my parking lot going about 15 and braking while making a right hand turn.

the first time i heard the grinding sound I was backing through my parking lot because I forgot something. I had made a right hand turn, and then needed to back upand make the right in reverse and as i brought the wheel back to center I heard the rubbing sound. Tonight I was backing out of a parking spot and as I brought the wheel back to center i got the rubbing sound again.

Some more facts:

Car never ever made the sound until about 2 weeks ago and this was right after bringing the car home from the dealer.

Ok so the point of this thread besides the obvious venting is...what could be doing this. Duh I realize its somethign with the linkage/suspension/wheels/maybe brakes, but I am looking for a cause to which I can investigate and fix.

TIA.

edit; I'm going to try to get a sound clip of the rubbing sound. I don't think I can recreate teh grinding sound.

Edit2: Its from the right side.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:17 PM
Banned

Here are teh vids with sound. Please save-as each file. they are quicktime format.

Vid 1

Vid 2

Yes I know the 2nd one sounds like a really loud fart.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:17 PM

Thats what a warenty is for Take it to the dealer.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by That Cobalt LT Guy
Thats what a warenty is for Take it to the dealer.

**** the dealer. I brought my car to a ******* dealer for an AC problem and what did it get me? 4 trips to the dealer for the problem and they magically fixed it on the 4th trip so they could avoid teh lemon law claim that was coming right after; broken headlight housing and a dented and chipped hood that I can't claim happened there because they never logged any preexisting damage because it was too dark.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by e to the x
**** the dealer. I brought my car to a ******* dealer for an AC problem and what did it get me? 4 trips to the dealer for the problem and they magically fixed it on the 4th trip so they could avoid teh lemon law claim that was coming right after; broken headlight housing and a dented and chipped hood that I can't claim happened there because they never logged any preexisting damage because it was too dark.
Well then, i don't know what to tell you. Fix it yourself?
Old 12-07-2006, 07:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 05BlackCobaltSS
Well then, i don't know what to tell you. Fix it yourself?

did you actually read the end of the thread? Thats why I poseted here to begin with. To try to figure out what could be causing it and to see if anyone else is having teh same problem.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:43 PM
Banned

Forward moving sound and really really bad reverse sound...

Vid 3
Old 12-07-2006, 07:50 PM

That sounds really bad. I just cant come up with anything right now. In the last case, you are going to have to take it in, and let them tell u what it is so you can FYI.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:01 PM

sounds like gears grinding. I say turn your wheel all the way to one side and get out of your car to see if it is touching the wheelwell.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:10 PM
Banned

no idea right now
but BEFORE BEFORE you go to the dealer. Take pictures of your car indicating no scratches, dents, rips, tears EVERYTHING! Including engine and transmission. Well i would do this, it seems like the dealer is working on blazers all day they dont know what the **** to do on this car lol but really this is your only protection
Old 12-07-2006, 09:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mercury
sounds like gears grinding. I say turn your wheel all the way to one side and get out of your car to see if it is touching the wheelwell.

I thought of that but its not when the wheel is all the way over. Its about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way from hard right to on center. I will take a pic if I can but I don't think its a rubbing. I'm gonna agree with you Merc that its a gear thing. hope they don't **** me on my warranty becaue I have a CAI and the CA front mount. All those additional horsie musta really torn up the tranny. Oh and all that drag racing.

Please note muy extreme sarcasm Mr. chevy man who is watching this thread right now...
Old 12-07-2006, 09:40 PM

check you tires and body panel i had a sounds like that before and somehoe a nail got stuck in wheel well and ever so oftern or when i turned or revers it would make a sounds like that.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:56 PM

It sounds like your internal steering shaft is bad, the dealer just replaced mine on Saturday, have them check it out
Old 12-07-2006, 10:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NightriderCobaltSS
check you tires and body panel i had a sounds like that before and somehoe a nail got stuck in wheel well and ever so oftern or when i turned or revers it would make a sounds like that.

I was just under the car the other day trying to fix the fender covers that were also loose. I was checking the passenger side to see how much it moves compared to the driver side.

Originally Posted by Xavipheus
It sounds like your internal steering shaft is bad, the dealer just replaced mine on Saturday, have them check it out
Yeah I guess we'll see. Gotta wait till the weekend or next week to do that. Have work tomorrow and a part time job interview tomorrow night.

heres a vid from teh outside that my hot neighbor shot for me

Vid 4
Old 12-08-2006, 12:45 AM
Banned

bump for the ngiht owls
Old 12-08-2006, 10:22 AM

here's what i've experienced:

if braking and hearing a hard metal on metal sound, this happened to me in an older vehicle and what had happened was the piston on the brake caliper had blown through and was just hashing the rotor to shreds whenever i put on the brakes. This was on the front wheels, and I knew something was wrong, so I drove the car to the shop using only the e-brake to stop it (as that works the rear brakes).

However, for other grinding sounds when turning (not using the brakes) I got this when i added a solid motor mount to my setup, the engine leans to that side when I turn (left, in my case) and therefore i get a "grind" because the mount isn't giving and the engine is leaning on it (the slightest bit) and pulsing the vibration thru the cabin.

just a few suggestions for you. could be engine mounts and/or brake calipers, in short.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:36 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Damn man... for somereason Q,T, freezes my comp.... but I f you have a chance I can meet up with you this weekend to take a look at it....
Old 12-08-2006, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by 06blackg85ss
Damn man... for somereason Q,T, freezes my comp.... but I f you have a chance I can meet up with you this weekend to take a look at it....
that's cuz QT sux donkey ballz.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bc3tech
that's cuz QT sux donkey ballz.

Well thats the only format my camera records video with soooo too bad.

here's what i've experienced:

if braking and hearing a hard metal on metal sound, this happened to me in an older vehicle and what had happened was the piston on the brake caliper had blown through and was just hashing the rotor to shreds whenever i put on the brakes. This was on the front wheels, and I knew something was wrong, so I drove the car to the shop using only the e-brake to stop it (as that works the rear brakes).

However, for other grinding sounds when turning (not using the brakes) I got this when i added a solid motor mount to my setup, the engine leans to that side when I turn (left, in my case) and therefore i get a "grind" because the mount isn't giving and the engine is leaning on it (the slightest bit) and pulsing the vibration thru the cabin.

just a few suggestions for you. could be engine mounts and/or brake calipers, in short.
I don't have solid mounts in so that is not the issue. And its not a vibration it is quite literally a loud grinding or scraping sound. I thought about it being the brakes, but like you said that would have no bearing on the noise that occurs when i am in reverse and not using teh brake. I'm gonna toy around during lunch to see what causes the sounds. See if it happens when I am out fo gear and going backwards. So far I have only made the sound while in reverse and off the clutch so I am fearing a tranny problem (what else is new with this car). We'll see.

I am currently getting all my info together from the dealer here in NY and the dealer I bought the car from. Right now after 5 months and 7 days of ownership my car has been into the dealer for 17 calendar days. that leaves 13 more calendar days for this issue and any other issues that pop up to be fixed, within the next 19 months or until I reach 18k miles before my car officially becomes a lemon by NYS law.

Those 17 days include:

-1 day for reflashing the PCM for the stalling idle TSB
-2 days in for the initial AC problem where the compressor was diagnosed as worn
-3 days in for what was supposed to be the AC compressor being replaced but turned into a "there is a leak that we can't find" issue w/o the compressor ever being replaced.
-4 days in again after having to take my car back because I did not make plans to keep a borrowed car through the weekend 3 days after dropping the car off to get teh compressor replaced. They kept searching and then blamed a bad vacuum hose as the problem, again w/o ever replacing the compressor they diagnosed as a problem the first time.
-7 days in after the blow up at the dealership for 3 previous trips w/o a resolution and a meeting with the owner to get down to the nitty gritty where we found out that the compressor was never replaced to begin with. The car was later diagnosed as having a bad evaporator, bad vacuum lines, and the bad condensor. See the images below for the full diagnosis

Ughh. ok done venting.

Paul I may hit you up this weekend. The gf is visiting for my birthday (yeah its still over a week away but its the only time she can get here) but needs to be doing work, so maybe I can shoot down to you where ever you are...Queens or C-A. I'll give ya a ring if I have the chance.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:23 PM
Banned

I am thinking of popping the front end up onto jackstands and putting her into reverse and doing the reverse turning thing to get a better idea of where its coming from. Anyone think thats a good idea. I'd be block both rear wheels forward and back so no worries about hopping the jack stand.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:57 PM

i'd pop the whole thing up on blocks, level, so you don't get some "it has to be level else fluids..." bullshit when u take it in w/ your findings.

i'd block the jack stands too, would hate to have one roll over on u and the car don't move while it's in gear and *snap* goes the tranny
Old 12-08-2006, 02:03 PM
Banned

i'd pop the whole thing up on blocks, level, so you don't get some "it has to be level else fluids..." bullshit when u take it in w/ your findings.

i'd block the jack stands too, would hate to have one roll over on u and the car don't move while it's in gear and *snap* goes the tranny

good point. 4 jackstands then.

Another idea that wasbrought up was the differential crapping out. No LSD in this car so i bet it could be this. Please note i've never ever drag raced or abused my car....
Old 12-12-2006, 08:21 PM

I get a grinding noise once in a while due to this:

If you can't tell what's going on, the front of the sideskirt is being grabbed by the wheel. I only get the noise when reversing and turning since it pulls the skirt down farther and off the wheel tread.

It is pretty damn loud.

I'm thinking a heat gun should be able to fix this, but I haven't gotten around to it seeing as I don't have a heat gun...
Old 12-12-2006, 11:19 PM
Banned

ist a metal sound as far as i can tell. we'll see soon enough.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:51 PM
Banned

And it was the wheel hitting the side skirt. Damn...Paul made me feel dubm tonight. I'm gonna see about remolding the edge like in the pic above. Damn crap...

Quick Reply: HELP! Loud grinding metallic scrapping noise!