Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

HELP - spoiler problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 02:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP - spoiler problem

Hey guys,

So, I bought a high-rise spoiler off of a member here, and I have a bit of a problem. I went to bolt the thing on yesterday when I got it, and I noticed that it wasn't sealing too well around the mounting base. No big deal - I'll just remove it soon, toss a few pieces of that strong double-back tape type adhesive stuff, and be on my way. So, I just did this, and it didn't really help at all. And I used almost the whole roll of tape. Which is like 6 bucks. It's not really "sticking" to the trunk that well. It's just kinda sitting there, held in my the bolts. There was already some adhesive on the spoiler, so I left it on and added to it, figuring that when I bolted it in, it'd just squish the tape more and be good to go. False. Didn't do a damn thing. So I still have a spoiler that is just kind of sitting there that vibrates when you close the trunk or hit a bump. I'd hate to see what it's doing while on the highway.. So, I figured that maybe I simply wasn't tightening it enough.. False. I was. so of course I tightened the one too tight and snapped the top off. Now, it's still in there, and sealed, so I'm not quite sure what happened there.. Can I replace that bolt if needed? It's just my luck that I'd break the ******* thing.. What can I use to really seal this thing down in place like the factory? I'm not gonna pull it off again once it's in good, so I'm not worried about that.. I don't really even care how much it costs - so long as it works. I'm tired of ******* with this, and I want to finish this and move on to the next waste of time.

Any help would be great.. Thanks!

By the way, the car had a factory low-rise, then I swapped trunks for one with a factory high-rise, and then pulled the high-rise off and went wingless. Now, back to high-rise. The other high-rise didn't seem to hold perfectly either, but it also seems like it had been removed before..
Old 02-17-2010, 02:13 AM

the bolts dont do toooo much. its the tape thats important. r u using 3m car adhesive tape??? that **** is retarded sticky. i left a roll of that stuff sitting on my laptop overnight and it was a PITA to get the roll off the next day (the adhesive from just the side of the tape)

the tape on my wing douched out and my wing flops around in normal wind and the bolts are as tight as possible. i took my car to a couple good autobody shops when when i wanted to get it fixed and all of them said the tape is the most important part for the spoiler. id try cleaning all the old tape off ur highrise and cleaning the decklid dam good. and apply the tape when ur decklid is NOT cold. that will also help it stick
Old 02-17-2010, 02:18 AM

Yeah, the 3M what what I used. It took retardedly long to remove the backing from each piece. I was so pissed when it didn't work. Although, I did try to do this outside, with it being in the mid-20's. lol. I didn't really think of that as being a problem, but I suppose that makes sense. Should I for sure try to remove all of the old stuff?

Any other suggestions to get this to work?
Old 02-17-2010, 02:24 AM

ya get rid of allllll the old tape. that tape isnt designed to stick to old dried up POS tape. its meant for car body part materials. also removing the old tape will make it sit more flush and in the end look better cus theres a possibility that it could sit on a weird angle.

also are you having problem with the tape sticking to the wing or to the deck lid
Old 02-17-2010, 02:29 AM

The ultimate problem is with the spoiler sticking to the deck-lid. The more I think about it, the cold thing does make sense..

Should I simply try to remove all old tape, then re tape the spoiler super intense-like, then clean the trunk-lid and possibly heat it, then go ahead and try again?

Also, is that broken bolt a problem? I'm kinda worried about that..It seems to be sticking for now, but I'm worried that it'll rattle or something when I'm on the highway.. But it seems like it's the tape more-so, so the bolt shouldn't matter TOO much once I get the tape straightened out..
Old 02-17-2010, 10:18 AM

Anyone else..??
Old 02-17-2010, 10:30 AM

had the same problem. I heated the surface of my deck lid, removed all the crap on the spoiler, and cleaned the hell out of it & the wing. Then reapplied it with 3m tape...after 3hrs of labor I took it off again
Old 02-17-2010, 09:26 PM

Mine did the same thing when I put it back on to swap trunks with someone.I put a few towels on the spoiler and threw a case of aquafina water on each side for a day or so and it stuck good after that.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:54 AM

^^ And that's for a low-rise too.. I was worried it was just the high-rise..

So, I got some of this stuff today.. Loctite Automotive Adhesive.. It's some liquid adhesive.. I figured that as long as it bonds, I'll be good.. But I also bought more double-back.. So I'm gonna use both.. Several strips of double-back, and liquid adhesive throughout.. It better work, because if not - it'll cause a BIG mess.. lol

Would anyone suggest their Plastic Epoxy or just stick with the Automotive? Think that'll even work?

Thanks!
Old 02-18-2010, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by averagewhiteboy
^^ And that's for a low-rise too.. I was worried it was just the high-rise..

So, I got some of this stuff today.. Loctite Automotive Adhesive.. It's some liquid adhesive.. I figured that as long as it bonds, I'll be good.. But I also bought more double-back.. So I'm gonna use both.. Several strips of double-back, and liquid adhesive throughout.. It better work, because if not - it'll cause a BIG mess.. lol

Would anyone suggest their Plastic Epoxy or just stick with the Automotive? Think that'll even work?

Thanks!
Ya mine was a low rise.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:01 PM

I'm gonna pull the entire trunk on Saturday morning and bring it into my house. Let it heat up from being inside with a space heater on it. Clean and prep it. Then remount it with adhesive double-back AS WELL AS automotive glue epoxy, bolt it in, then apply correctly. Correctly being hold in place hardcore for 7 minutes, then I'm gonna use your idea with the towels and some type of drink case. Leave that on until the next morning, then re-install the trunk.

I think that'll be solid. Since Pittsburgh has become Antarctica anymore.. Quickly getting tired of it rattling and letting water in the holes. lol
Old 02-18-2010, 07:04 PM

I'm gonna pull the entire trunk on Saturday morning and bring it into my house. Let it heat up from being inside with a space heater on it. Clean and prep it. Then remount it with adhesive double-back AS WELL AS automotive glue epoxy, bolt it in, then apply correctly. Correctly being hold in place hardcore for 7 minutes, then I'm gonna use your idea with the towels and some type of drink case. Leave that on until the next morning, then re-install the trunk.

I think that'll be solid. Since Pittsburgh has become Antarctica anymore.. Quickly getting tired of it rattling and letting water in the holes. lol
See if you can find a little thicker 3m tape for emblems and that will fill the gap.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:10 PM

Yeah, I have the proper tape, but my problem was that I didn't remove the old adhesive..

Well, and that I tried to install it while the trunk was cold and it was 25 out.. lol

Last edited by averagewhiteboy; 02-18-2010 at 08:07 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:22 PM

doesnt sound like a good thing..im planning on getting a high rise to replace my low rise so will i have to go through this also?
Old 02-18-2010, 08:10 PM

Likely. I'll post up what I did so you can do the same and be good to go. lol

But if you have a 2.4, watch out because the high-rise looks kinda funny with the 2.4 rear bumper. Spoiler-less is best with the 2.4 rear. But I have the full s/c kit, so it looks way better..

Nortybignort, should you apply the adhesive all the way to the outside of the spoiler base or only on the inside? I don't want the adhesive to be visible, however I want it to be out enough that it hold properly..
Old 02-18-2010, 08:17 PM

i have a 2.4 and am getting a highrise during the summer sometime and then i am going to look for the sc rear lip hpw hard was it to take off the low rise spoiler
Old 02-18-2010, 08:21 PM

I have no idea how hard it was. lol My friend who bought it from me took it off..

The actual bolts are simple, but the factory adhesive sucks apparently.. Heat gun and tear.. lol

how much weight about can the high-rise support? Don't wanna put too much on it..

Last edited by averagewhiteboy; 02-18-2010 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-18-2010, 08:33 PM

Likely. I'll post up what I did so you can do the same and be good to go. lol

But if you have a 2.4, watch out because the high-rise looks kinda funny with the 2.4 rear bumper. Spoiler-less is best with the 2.4 rear. But I have the full s/c kit, so it looks way better..

Nortybignort, should you apply the adhesive all the way to the outside of the spoiler base or only on the inside? I don't want the adhesive to be visible, however I want it to be out enough that it hold properly..
I think i took it to the edge and cut it off with a razor blade right at the edge.

Originally Posted by kissrocker52
i have a 2.4 and am getting a highrise during the summer sometime and then i am going to look for the sc rear lip hpw hard was it to take off the low rise spoiler
Take the bolts off and use some thick fishing line and a hair dryer if you dont have a heat gun.

Last edited by Nortybignort; 02-18-2010 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-18-2010, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Nortybignort
I think i took it to the edge and cut it off with a razor blade right at the edge.
That's what I was considering doing.. Maximum clearance..

How much weight do you think this thing can hold with the cases of beverages on it? I'll probably pop a few 6 packs on it.. lol
Old 02-18-2010, 08:46 PM

That's what I was considering doing.. Maximum clearance..

How much weight do you think this thing can hold with the cases of beverages on it? I'll probably pop a few 6 packs on it.. lol
Not sure with the highrise.You need something pretty heavy to smash it down until it grabs and then leave it on for a while.I think I left the cases of water on there for like two days.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:33 PM

sounds kind of like my problem, when i slam my trunk it kinda wiggles just cause of the size of the dam thing im assuming. and it kind of shakes around 70-85...... it is a GM part not a knock off. anyone else with a factory highrise have shakin issues?
Old 02-19-2010, 08:39 AM

yeah it would look a little weird i guess but im having a hard time finding a ss/sc kit
Old 02-19-2010, 09:16 AM

It look me forever to piece my front lip and full s/c rear bumper.. lol
Old 02-20-2010, 02:34 PM

yeah i know how much did it cost you?
Old 02-20-2010, 02:56 PM

Rear bumper was like 350, and the front lip was 130-ish. Side skirts were stock. Then I just got another high-rise at 160.

Quick Reply: HELP - spoiler problem