Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Help! Supercharger Discoloration

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 06:04 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! Supercharger Discoloration

Hey guys popped the hood today to look at the beast and clean her up a bit under her skirt and noticed that the supercharger has some discoloration on it like a light light grey to a darker grey around the throttle body I've seen some of you guys' superchargers and they look so clean I tried engine degreaser and sos pad but did not help how can i fix this thanks.
Old 07-05-2006, 06:05 PM
Premium Member

mine is doing the same thing and also turning a kind of gold color all over.
Old 07-05-2006, 06:06 PM

its kind of like a woman, as long as she keeps blowing, dont matter what she looks like. lol

(laugh, it was funny)
Old 07-05-2006, 06:07 PM

if its turning a gold color it almost sounds like it got a little too hot.. idk, just guessing
Old 07-05-2006, 06:13 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
yup.... I know a certain someone running the bottle through his, gold color is what he got, mine only a little discolored, but I don't know what caused that
Old 07-05-2006, 06:33 PM

Something I thought about... if the ambient air temp entering the intake is too high it would heat a little more in the supercharger that could get hot enough to get a slight discoloration. That, or if the actual "blowers" inside the supercharger could be rubbing against their housing. The friction produced from this would DEFINITELY heat the casing up enough to discolor it, although i would imagine it owuld probably discolor it signifigantly more than jut a gold color
Old 07-05-2006, 06:38 PM

That was funny Big Mike Anyways you might want to try orange cleaner, I have been able to clean things that didn't seem cleanable. However you also have to remeber that a super charger does heat up from friction, also compressing the air heats it up as well. I am sure the coating GM used was not top of the line on the SC so it's possible it could cause discoloring with continious use. A good example is look at some one's after market headers they some times change to gold/yellow depending if they are coated or not.

http://www.b16sentra.net/pics/headr22.jpg
Old 07-05-2006, 06:38 PM

mines dark grey now
Old 07-05-2006, 07:27 PM

ok here is the deal, that supercharger casing is close to 3/4 inch thick, and the impellers inside are nearly a full 1/4" thick. If they are getting hot enough to cause discoloration, one of two things is happening. (1) They were misaligned from the factory and are rubbing together causing friction or (2) there is not enough lubrication on the impellers.

Take it back to the dealer, have them check it out, report back to the board.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:46 AM

Supercharger Golden Color

I am new to these forums, an I just saw this topic. I picked up my 2006 SS/SC from the dealer thursday and today when i popped the hood i noticed a golden tint to the supercharger. The car only has 170 miles on it. Do you think I should have this looked at by the dealer, or is this normal.

Thanks in Advance

Mike
Old 07-09-2006, 01:47 PM
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The discoloration being described is totally normal and has nothing to do with heat. Just normal oxidation that will darken in time and may be slightly different depending on humidity, proximity to salt water etc.
Nothing to worry about.
If you dont like it your might want to look at coatings
WopOnTour
Old 07-09-2006, 02:22 PM

Has Anybody been to the dealer. If so, what did they say? I don't want this to become a problem in the near future, I rather have this taken care of Now.

Mike
Old 07-09-2006, 02:30 PM

It shouldn't be heat if it is around the throttle body. That is the coolest part of the entire S/C.
Old 07-09-2006, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Cobalt_Supercharged
It shouldn't be heat if it is around the throttle body. That is the coolest part of the entire S/C.

I didn't notice any discoloration around the throttle body, just the supercharger. It has turned golden.
Old 07-09-2006, 02:41 PM
Banned

take it to the dealer would be the dumbest thing to do mine at least seems to be the most retarded people i have ever met in the world. the are a bunch of hippie burnouts who never finished college. they tried to tell me that my warranty was voided b/c i put the gm stage kit on the car. enough said.
Old 07-09-2006, 02:51 PM

Your described dealership does sound really bad. I thought the whole point of the GM Stage kits is so they are covered by the warranty. I am going to check with a couple of local people who have the same car and see what they say about the discoloration. In the mean time, if anyone finds out any information, let us know.

Mike
Old 07-09-2006, 09:41 PM
Banned

thats only the begining of the nonsense that goes on there, when i asked them how much it would be to install my stage kit they quoted me 2.5 hours of labor to change out the injectors,i did it myself with the instructions provided and it took me half an hour not ever doing anything like that before another story is when i got my oil changed and on the invoice they tried to tell me my car needed 7 quarts of mobil oil! I took my owner's manual out and read to them word for word that the ss requires around 5 quarts to put this in perspective an avalanche i beleive takes 6 quarts of oil. Another problem was when i had sporatic idle issues and they told me the cut wires from the rev it up kit (which was no longer on the car)were the cause b/c they had been split. I am dead serious none of these stories are false all true, oh and another good one was right b/f i replaced my clutch I took it in b/c it was slipping from 1st to second on agressive shifts i took the tec out for a drive in it and he said that since it was only happening when i was "racing" and not any other time there was nothing he could do (1500 miles on car at that point) when I asked them to replace my rotors b/c of the deep grooves they told me that it was acceptable (1000 miles on car). My dealer is absolutley retarded sorry for the long rant but I would like to tell you the nonsense that goes on at maroone chevrolet in greenacres.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:59 AM

Supercharger Color

I called my dealer this morning, they have to see the car to verify the problem with the supercharger discoloration. I made an appointment and I will see what they say. I have only had this car since last thursday. I was also told by another person if they say it just needs oil, thats B.S. because these eaton superchargers are essentially fill for life. Others have also told me these are not serviceable at all and have to be replaced as a whole unit.
If anyone has any additional information, let me know.

Mike
Old 07-10-2006, 09:03 AM

Do they sell covers for the supercharger?
Old 07-10-2006, 09:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine is the same way. Just take a brillo style pad, some goo gone and some elbow grease. It will go away. It will come back later on so just clean it again.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by CTCOBALTSSS
Mine is the same way. Just take a brillo style pad, some goo gone and some elbow grease. It will go away. It will come back later on so just clean it again.

Yes, it will go away if you clean it, but the golden color is a sign of Overheating and or warpage of the metal inside the supercharger. It might be fine for now, but I am having mine looked at while still under warranty.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Spike 15
Yes, it will go away if you clean it, but the golden color is a sign of Overheating and or warpage of the metal inside the supercharger. It might be fine for now, but I am having mine looked at while still under warranty.
Good call. I hope its not a big problem. Let us know what the dealer says. If its covered under warranty I'm all about getting it replaced.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:26 PM
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Spike 15
It is NOT a sign of excessive heat. Please read my previous post. I realize you're a new owner and paranoid about your ride but it's really nothing to worry about. You're just wasting your time taking it to the dealer, unless you just want the visit for KYA
Wop
Old 07-13-2006, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by WopOnTour
It is NOT a sign of excessive heat. Please read my previous post. I realize you're a new owner and paranoid about your ride but it's really nothing to worry about. You're just wasting your time taking it to the dealer, unless you just want the visit for KYA
Wop

Well I just got back from the dealer and they said the supercharger is fine. In my case, I just found out the car was sitting on the lot for a long period of time and the cause of my discoloration could be oxidation. The dealer told me I should Have no problem, but if any thing goes wrong, I will take it in under the remainder of the factory warranty. Thanks for everyone's input and suggestions.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by glockglade
My dealer is absolutley retarded sorry for the long rant but I would like to tell you the nonsense that goes on at maroone chevrolet in greenacres.

Go to Roger Dean in WPB on Okechobee Blvd. they're pretty good, or take the drive to Bill Shultz in Ft. Pierce (my favorite). They're both pretty good.

Quick Reply: Help! Supercharger Discoloration