Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

High RPM After Cleaning Throttle Body

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I cleared mine already, I also disconected my batery for a hr and its still the same. I just dropped it off at my local performance shop tonight, and he said the same thing majourpain said, that the sensors were thrown off so it defaults to the warm up idle.
When I get my car back tomorow I'll let you know what he comes up with.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:33 AM

If you used WD 40 to clean the TB then it has most likely coated the TPS and MAP sensors. Remember that whatever you squirt into the TB will hit the SC, intake manifold and straight into the motor. Cleaning the TB does not require you to remove the unit itself! Squirting TB cleaner into the intake is sufficient and removing the TB only increases the chances of you ruining the TB by moving the plate. I did it 3 times with my 05 SC and never once had a problem.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:16 PM

has anyone tried a reflash yet?
Old 06-09-2009, 09:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'm gonna try a TAC module update tonight and i will let you guys know how it goes.

nope, didn't give me the option to do a TAC update. and i've already got the latest ECM update. sorry guys

Last edited by outtamymind; 06-09-2009 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-09-2009, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by ninja44
If you used WD 40 to clean the TB then it has most likely coated the TPS and MAP sensors. Remember that whatever you squirt into the TB will hit the SC, intake manifold and straight into the motor. Cleaning the TB does not require you to remove the unit itself! Squirting TB cleaner into the intake is sufficient and removing the TB only increases the chances of you ruining the TB by moving the plate. I did it 3 times with my 05 SC and never once had a problem.
I used WD-40 to clean mine and it's fine. The reason I know it's fine is because I bought a new TB, and had the exact same problem with the new one.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:28 PM

out of curiousity how many of us are using CAI or SRI and having this issue and how many of us still have the stock intake and are having this issue. its something that hasn't really been asked. off had i'm using a CAI and i can't remember if it did this when i had my stock intake on. and i'm too lazy to put the stock one back on to find out if its the cause.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by outtamymind
out of curiousity how many of us are using CAI or SRI and having this issue and how many of us still have the stock intake and are having this issue. its something that hasn't really been asked. off had i'm using a CAI and i can't remember if it did this when i had my stock intake on. and i'm too lazy to put the stock one back on to find out if its the cause.
I have the stock intake.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:38 PM

k that rules that out then lol
Old 06-10-2009, 01:21 AM
Banned

Your PCM will need to be reflashed. Just resetting it will not work. Trust me, it took the dealer 16 hours to figure that out.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:09 AM

This might be a dumb question, but is a ECM reflash the same thing as a PCM reflash? The guy at my shop said he would try reflashing the ECM.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:33 PM

the pcm and ecm are one in the same. thursday i will try a reflash of the ecm and see if that helps as one guy said it helped
Old 06-10-2009, 08:55 PM
Banned

Yep, correct me if Im wrong but i think this is what they stand for.

PCM- Powertrain Control Module

ECM- Engine Control Management

Its close I know LOL.

But yes, the computer will need to restored to its defualt state so it will relearn the new air/fuel ratio values instead of compensating for the crud in the TB and increasing idle.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:05 PM

my mechanic is telling me that the sensors in my throttle body are toast because they are sensitive to carb cleaner. He hooked a meter to the sensors, and he said the readings were speratic. Also when he put it to full throttle the blade only opened half, but the computer still read %100 throttle.... so I dont know what that means, but he told me I need a new tb.
Does any of that make sence to you guys?
Old 06-10-2009, 09:44 PM

its possible that thats just a random thing. my driveability techs at work have been using carb cleaner to clean throttle bodies for years with no ill effects. but its definetly something to look into. i'll ask my guys tomorrow and see what they say.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:50 PM

thats what I thought. I've always used carb cleaner on all my cars and never had anything like this happen.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Smiles
my mechanic is telling me that the sensors in my throttle body are toast because they are sensitive to carb cleaner. He hooked a meter to the sensors, and he said the readings were speratic. Also when he put it to full throttle the blade only opened half, but the computer still read %100 throttle.... so I dont know what that means, but he told me I need a new tb.
Does any of that make sence to you guys?
My mechanic charged me $500 for a new manifold and gaskets. That had nothing to do with the problem. I had to MAKE him reflash my ECU. Im 17, and he said that Im just a kid and hes the mechanic..

Yep I proved the idiot wrong. It just needed to be reflashed to reset the TPS. I hate stubborn fools.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:09 PM

Talking

When I cleaned my recently for my supercharger build I sprayed the carb cleaner on the rag and then cleaned out the TB. Maybe people might want to try doing that.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by MyCobaltGetsMeCooter
My mechanic charged me $500 for a new manifold and gaskets. That had nothing to do with the problem. I had to MAKE him reflash my ECU. Im 17, and he said that Im just a kid and hes the mechanic..

Yep I proved the idiot wrong. It just needed to be reflashed to reset the TPS. I hate stubborn fools.
why were u messing with ur TB anyways, you're obviously the one who messed it up. this issue has been going on for awhile with no fix, so dont knock on the mechanic for trying something else
Old 06-11-2009, 09:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by shawn672
why were u messing with ur TB anyways, you're obviously the one who messed it up. this issue has been going on for awhile with no fix, so dont knock on the mechanic for trying something else
Did you even read what I wrote? Ill write it so even a baby with down syndrome could understand it, hopefully you will be able also.

Cold starts, stuttering and stalling. BAD.

Clean throttle body with TB cleaner on micro fiber rag. GOOD.

Fix problem. GOOD.

Computer had to be reset so it would stop opening the throttle body more to compensate for carbon deposits. BAD.

Stupid mechanic who wouldnt listen to me. BAD.

He finally listend to me. GOOD.

Good boy.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:14 PM

the pcm and ecm are one in the same. thursday i will try a reflash of the ecm and see if that helps as one guy said it helped
So did it work? If it did I'm going to get mine re-flashed asap. I can't stand this anymore.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't see how it would hurt if you got a reflash...there's an 08 SS/TC around here that has had to get 2 reflashes because his TPM quits working?
Old 06-11-2009, 11:48 PM

if your referring to the tire pressure monitors, having a relearn done for that and this issue are 2 totally differen't things. and no i didn't. i've got a buddy with a 2.4 that doesn't do this, so him and me are gonna swap throttle bodies and see if his does it or not before i do the reflash. if his starts doing it and mine stops then i know its the throttle body or one of its components that are failing. if everything is still the same then i will continue on with the reflash
Old 06-12-2009, 12:15 AM

I can save you the work of swapping throttle bodies. My shop just put a brand new one in today, and its still acting up
They're going to do a reflash tomorow to see if anything changes.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:52 AM

hmm interesting. this issue is messed right up.
Old 06-13-2009, 03:06 AM

if your referring to the tire pressure monitors, having a relearn done for that and this issue are 2 totally differen't things. and no i didn't. i've got a buddy with a 2.4 that doesn't do this, so him and me are gonna swap throttle bodies and see if his does it or not before i do the reflash. if his starts doing it and mine stops then i know its the throttle body or one of its components that are failing. if everything is still the same then i will continue on with the reflash
I can also save you the trouble. If you read earlier in this thread you'll see that I have tried a total of three different throttle bodies on my car. Two of which were clean, one of which was all carbon'ed up. The dirty one made my car run normal again, the clean ones were both the same (high idle). The problem is definitely the computer not accounting for the extra air flow which occurs with a clean throttle body as apposed to a dirty one.

Quick Reply: High RPM After Cleaning Throttle Body