Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

How to remove headliner and a-pillar

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 08:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation How to remove headliner and a-pillar

Hey Everyone, accidently put this same post in the "How To' thread... but I am looking for How To advice.

So my wife's 08 Sport is leaking water. I am pretty confident that it is the sunroof drain on the front drivers side. I want to drop the headliner down to assure that the drain line is still connected to the resevoir. Easy.

I havent taken her car apart at all and I am not sure how to go about the A-pillar since it has the Air Bag in it. I searched the forum but with no luck. Does anyone know what to do there? I am going to disconnect the battery just in case but is there anything i should know when pulling the cover off?

For now, I am going to check just the front drivers side, so I am going to try and pull down the corner of the headliner just enough to see in there. Any suggestions for that? Obvuiously the visor needs to come off but is there any hooks, tabs, clips, anything like that, that i should be aware/careful of? Really dont want to screw up the headliner.

Please let me know, I am really hoping for some good info and I am not taking it to a shop. Thanks all!!
Old 07-16-2012, 10:55 AM

A-pillar should have 1 screw holding it in. Remove that then gently pull on it the rest is held in by quick snaps ( same as dash plastics) .
Old 07-16-2012, 11:50 AM

A-pillar should have 1 screw holding it in. Remove that then gently pull on it the rest is held in by quick snaps ( same as dash plastics) .
Old 07-16-2012, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by big ben
Do you know what happens to the air bag cap? Does that come with the cover or does that stay with the pillar?
Old 07-17-2012, 11:53 AM

Any one have a clue as to what to do with the air bag cap on the a-pillar??
Old 07-17-2012, 12:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
very simple. NO clips to worry about AT ALL. my car didnt have a sunroof but its similar process
all screws are torx what number i forgot but smaller
1)remove the screw in the A pillar. says airbag on the tab, but to get to the screw just pull open the tab. undo the screw.

2)For the driver sunvisor there will be 3 screws holding the circle piece to the top of the car. and one holding the square piece. remove the screws and remove the sunvisor.

2)Go to the passanger side, remove the passanger pillar. same way you did the driver.
Remove the passanger sunvisor. same thing 3 screws on the circle piece. one on the square. the square pieces on the pass and driver side are deeper so you may need an extender.

3) Once the sunvisors are out work your way to the back little hanger things. those are 1 bolt each side you may need to pull down the rear pillars if needed. and the quarter window trims.

4) There will be a circle plug in the center of the back. i broke mine when i took it out. but you can either pry and try to get it out one piece. or break it like i did gu from under the headliner to try to remove it with plyers or a took like this http://www.autotoys.com/pics/doorpan...tooldeluxe.jpg
for your sunroof the headliner should fall around the roof since you dnt have a dome light

5) At this time the headliner (with sunroof) should be falling down since no bolts will be supporting it.

reverse the steps for reinstall. what i did was put the hanger things in first and screwed them in and that plug in the center of the back of the headliner. than i did the driver pillar and sunvisor than the passanger sunvisor and pillar. be careful with the tabs for the pillars. make sure they line up and all that because they break easy
your going to want to pull down the driver and passanger weather stripping that runs along the door to get the headliner to tuck underneath that.

hope this helps.

Last edited by Cobalt08LS; 07-17-2012 at 12:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ChazD (08-14-2021)
Old 07-18-2012, 09:19 AM

Dude, thanks for the head up on the air bag cap... wasnt sure what i was going to find behind it before you told me. All good though. Real easy fix. Secured both drain tubes in about 40 minutes and even got the water stain out of the headliner.

Thanks for the help

Originally Posted by Cobalt08LS
very simple. NO clips to worry about AT ALL. my car didnt have a sunroof but its similar process
all screws are torx what number i forgot but smaller
1)remove the screw in the A pillar. says airbag on the tab, but to get to the screw just pull open the tab. undo the screw.

2)For the driver sunvisor there will be 3 screws holding the circle piece to the top of the car. and one holding the square piece. remove the screws and remove the sunvisor.

2)Go to the passanger side, remove the passanger pillar. same way you did the driver.
Remove the passanger sunvisor. same thing 3 screws on the circle piece. one on the square. the square pieces on the pass and driver side are deeper so you may need an extender.

3) Once the sunvisors are out work your way to the back little hanger things. those are 1 bolt each side you may need to pull down the rear pillars if needed. and the quarter window trims.

4) There will be a circle plug in the center of the back. i broke mine when i took it out. but you can either pry and try to get it out one piece. or break it like i did gu from under the headliner to try to remove it with plyers or a took like this http://www.autotoys.com/pics/doorpan...tooldeluxe.jpg
for your sunroof the headliner should fall around the roof since you dnt have a dome light

5) At this time the headliner (with sunroof) should be falling down since no bolts will be supporting it.

reverse the steps for reinstall. what i did was put the hanger things in first and screwed them in and that plug in the center of the back of the headliner. than i did the driver pillar and sunvisor than the passanger sunvisor and pillar. be careful with the tabs for the pillars. make sure they line up and all that because they break easy
your going to want to pull down the driver and passanger weather stripping that runs along the door to get the headliner to tuck underneath that.

hope this helps.