Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

humming that gets louder with speed, not wheel bearing

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
humming that gets louder with speed, not wheel bearing

Hey guys, any idea what might be causing this?

Car is a 2006 SS/SC with 58K miles.

I have a humming coming from (I think) the rear of the car that becomes audible at about 40mph and gets louder with speed. At first I thought it was just my exhaust but I've ruled that out. I just replaced the rear axle and the hubs on it only have 35K miles on them so I'm doubting it's a wheel bearing. I also just changed my brakes all around and checked all the hubs and they were fine (no play at all).

I was thinking maybe something I did with the brakes is causing the issue? I used drilled and slotted rotors and Hawk HPS pads all around. Each wheel spins freely and there's no resistance or dragging, but I didn't notice the noise until I changed the brakes. I changed the axle the week before and didn't notice any unusual noises until today.

I know the alignment was off because the axle that was on the car was bent causing it to eat up rear tires. I haven't gotten an alignment yet, could the noise possibly be from the tires?

Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

-Kyle
Old 10-27-2010, 03:18 PM

No idea, but in mine i noticed letely that there is a rattle noise that sounds like it is coming from my drivers side air vent by the drivers door. Not sure if its the same noise we are talking about but im in for an explnation as well if it is.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:20 PM
AWD > FWD

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When was the last time you rotated your tires, it could be them. I had the same issue, and rotating my tires helped. They were starting to chalk up on the inside. But then again my tires suck.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by TommypSS/TC
When was the last time you rotated your tires, it could be them. I had the same issue, and rotating my tires helped. They were starting to chalk up on the inside. But then again my tires suck.
Haven't rotated them since I got the car, but then again that's only been a little more than a month. I'll give that a shot. The car does have one mismatched tire, but I never noticed noise when it was put on. It has 3 Goodyear Eagle F1 a-s/c's in 215/45/18 and one Pirelli PZero Nero in 215/45/18. I'd like to get the set back to matching but getting laid off a few weeks back threw a big wrench at everything. Once I get a job I'll be swapping the mismatched tire out for a matching one. They all have pretty even tread left though, probably about 7-8mm each.

Originally Posted by 09Sp0rt
No idea, but in mine i noticed letely that there is a rattle noise that sounds like it is coming from my drivers side air vent by the drivers door. Not sure if its the same noise we are talking about but im in for an explnation as well if it is.
It's not a rattle really, it's more like a hum you would hear from a wheel bearing that's bad, but it's not the wheel bearings. Sounds like you're just experiencing some crappy gm interior rattle :P
Old 10-27-2010, 03:52 PM
AWD > FWD

I'd just leave all the tires mismatched since the treadwear is all about the same. Then just buy a full new matching set at once, that way you don't have one tire with new tread and three partially worn ones. You never know how long it's been since the previous owner rotated them too, so they could be going off-round (or whatever that's called). That's what happened to mine when I didn't rotate them for about 6000 miles.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:10 PM

I'd just leave all the tires mismatched since the treadwear is all about the same. Then just buy a full new matching set at once, that way you don't have one tire with new tread and three partially worn ones. You never know how long it's been since the previous owner rotated them too, so they could be going off-round (or whatever that's called). That's what happened to mine when I didn't rotate them for about 6000 miles.
Yeah good point. I'll rotate them and see what happens, the previous owner didn't take good care of the car, so it's a fairly safe bet that he didn't rotate the tires very often, if at all. Thanks man.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:13 PM

definitely a wheel bearing. mine front driver's side wheel bearing went with 25k on it. so its possible.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by samsumthing
definitely a wheel bearing. mine front driver's side wheel bearing went with 25k on it. so its possible.
The wheel bearing on my dad's 07 silverado went out with 28K on the truck, I know it's possible but it's hard to believe. The hubs have no play and spin perfectly freely, I've dealt with and changed many bad wheel bearings on other vehicles before and it doesn't a seem the same. The noise started after I replaced the brakes, not the axle. I mean it's always possible but it's highly unlikely. If it is the hub I have 2 spares sitting in the garage off my original axle, but still. Definitely something I'll look into if rotating the tires doesn't do anything.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:33 PM

I would say wheel bearing also.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:13 PM

Ive had the same problem with my car. I was driving home from work and I hit a small crack in the concrete.. the car sounded like I was J-Braking (Semi Truck Engine Breaking) down the hill. I put new wheels bearings and it still does it. I've thinking mine is now the Inner CVs but they usually click.. mine howls like mud tires do on big trucks.

Put brand new Toyo all seasons on the car today and it still is doing it, so I ruled Tires and Wheel Bearings out on mine... Grr!
Old 11-06-2010, 09:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check the back end of the car to see if the rear bumper is loose.
Those black push in things tend to break and your wheel well could be vibrating.
Look at the driver side first.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:16 PM
AWD > FWD

To those saying a wheel bearing. That's exactly what I thought when I had the same issue. So did everyone else, especially after I took a video of te sound. I put it up on the lift at the dealership the mechanics and I determined that the wheel bearing was fine and it was uneven tire wear due to not rotating the tires enough. Op also when you get new tires be sure to get an alignment.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:30 PM

I tried rotating the tires but it didn't make a difference, I'm starting to think it could be a wheel bearing. Apparently these cars have a 60K mile powertrain warranty so I'm dropping it off at the dealership on Tuesday and letting them take care of it. Going to see if the IC pump and timing chain tensioner will be covered as well.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:22 AM

Just got back from the dealership, you guys that said wheel bearing were right. They replaced the right front hub assembly under the 60K mile powertrain warranty and the humming is completely gone.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:30 AM
AWD > FWD

Originally Posted by Kyle_06_SS
Just got back from the dealership, you guys that said wheel bearing were right. They replaced the right front hub assembly under the 60K mile powertrain warranty and the humming is completely gone.
Good, glad to hear I was wrong. Warranties wheel bearing is cheaper than new tires.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:08 AM

Good, glad to hear I was wrong. Warranties wheel bearing is cheaper than new tires.
Yeah, I'm just glad it was covered. I was convinced it wasn't the bearing but I was wrong too.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:53 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
might just as well get as much fixed before the warrenity is up
Old 11-11-2010, 09:49 PM

I had that humming noise when I changed all four rotors and pads. The rotors took about 3-4 days to settle properly on the car. Test it by pushing the brake all the way down hard and then release. Drive fast and you shouldn't hear the hum for a little bit. It will come back until its finally settled on the car.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:44 PM

It turned out being a wheel bearing. right front, had it replaced under the powertrain warranty.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:08 PM

You mentioned that you have 3 Goodyear F1 tires on there? I would check with Goodyear too, even though you found the wheel bearing as being bad.

A co-worker just had all of his replaced under a silent recall for noise.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:04 AM

Glad to hear powertrain covers that. I was thinking I need to get mine in asap. I'm at 35950 and I thought that would be bumper-bumper. Will wheel bearings make a roaring noise when you brake? I've got a humming but I honestly can't tell if it's the tires(they've always been loud) or something else, but there is a very audible roar when I hit the brakes at highway speeds. Sounds like it's from the left front. Thought it was brakes so I replaced rotors and pads and it didn't fix it. Kinda helped but it still roars pretty loud.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:55 AM
Premium Member

Good thing it wasn't a 2010 model ..... GM has removed wheel bearings from the power train warranty from 2010 and above.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by black67
You mentioned that you have 3 Goodyear F1 tires on there? I would check with Goodyear too, even though you found the wheel bearing as being bad.

A co-worker just had all of his replaced under a silent recall for noise.
Interesting..do you have a link or anything with any more information on that?
Old 11-23-2010, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by JL-KA
Glad to hear powertrain covers that. I was thinking I need to get mine in asap. I'm at 35950 and I thought that would be bumper-bumper. Will wheel bearings make a roaring noise when you brake? I've got a humming but I honestly can't tell if it's the tires(they've always been loud) or something else, but there is a very audible roar when I hit the brakes at highway speeds. Sounds like it's from the left front. Thought it was brakes so I replaced rotors and pads and it didn't fix it. Kinda helped but it still roars pretty loud.
Bumper to bumper is 36000 right? or is it 3 year? The wheel bearing went bad on my dad's 07 silverado with ~28,500 miles on, they covered it under the powertrain warranty because the bumper to bumper coverage was up. Or is it different with a leased vehicle (his truck was leased, the wheel bearing went bad 2 months ago and he turned it in 3 weeks ago lol)?
Old 11-23-2010, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by rukkee
Good thing it wasn't a 2010 model ..... GM has removed wheel bearings from the power train warranty from 2010 and above.
Maybe because they're getting tired of replacing their crap wheel bearings that go bad at 60K miles and less

Quick Reply: humming that gets louder with speed, not wheel bearing