Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

I think my car was stolen/attempted to before I bought it...

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 10:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I think my car was stolen/attempted to before I bought it...

So I had my service air bag light popping on and off repeatedly to the point I was going nuts. I replaced things that should have fixed it (passenger seat belt stuff) and no dice. Hearing advice it was the clock spring, I opened up the steering column to inspect.

I found the main tightening bolt to be loose. Upon inspection it was filed down to make a slot and beat up by what appeared to be vice grips. Needless to say I thought it was odd. The thread with that info is here:

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/prob...-ss-tc-307068/

After buying a new bolt, I installed it and my airbag light only came on during corners where I would have to turn the wheel sharply. So I tore into the column again to see if I could figure out how to access the clock spring, as it was most likely the culprit.

I looked at the lock tumbler and noticed it is marred up. Both sides of the metal disk that covers the tumbler have been flattened and beat up by what looks to be vice grips and behind it is pretty rough looking metal. The plastic piece that bolts up to it is loose. I actually was able to turn the car to accessory and ON with NO KEY but was not able to start it. I was just gripping the tumbler cover. It definitely looks like someone tried to force it to start with vice grips/pliers.

My question is: I know I am going to need a clockspring at least and possibly the new lock/tumbler assembly. How much of that can I do myself? Or is this a whole dealer job? Also, if someone has the ability to do a carfax for me that would be awesome. When I bought the car it looked and performed (what I thought) well and was from a reputable dealer so I didn't bother. I'm curious if it has a record...
Old 02-22-2014, 10:21 PM
Platinum Member

Received 584 Likes on 519 Posts
Theres a recall for the lock cylinder that just came out, maybe its your lucky day.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
That doesn't apply to 2010's sadly. I'll probably be coughing up the money for a new assembly... I wish this was visible from inside the car before I bought it, not hidden under covers.