Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Idle problems, White Smoke. Help Please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Idle problems, White Smoke. Help Please!!!

OK guys here it is from the begining.

3 1/2 weeks ago i got a CEL. P0172 SYSTEM TOO RICH (BANK 1) I did a lot of reading on the problems i could be having and what i need to do to fix it. However my car was idling fin at about 800 and everything was perfect no issues. so i figured it was a bad sensor. I change my aem filter to be on the safe side and clear the code just to see if maybe that was the issue before i changed the 02 sensor or maf. the code comes back on at a stop light about 1 1/2 later. but goes away about 30 seconds later. I check the code when i get home and its the same thing. well the next day i drove it for about 20 mins and everything seemed fine. So in the garage it went for the night. i did not drive again til sunday which was three days later. everything seem fine but if i gave it to much gas it would kinda bog out but as soon as i let go of the gas it went back to being fine and i could kind of feather touch the gas and be fine. So i get back home and i open it up on my back road and it opened fine so i thought it was just a little bit of bad luck or something. haha. so i park it. My wife just had a baby so my car sat from sunday to the following sunday. ( 1 week later) in the garage and i went out to start it early in the morning and as soon as i did this is when it started acting dumb.

It will start up instantly and rev real crazy sometimes reaching 2500 rpm. it revs twice then stalls out. In addition to that it is blowing out white smoke. A lot. after it stalls out i can start it again instantly and it keeps doing this over and over. Now if i give it gas it will putt and if i try to floor it for a second it won't let me it just bogs down. i can give it a steady gas but it just runs sloppy very sloppy and nothing but white smoke is poring from my exhaust. And my exhaust is straight black. usually it is nowhere near that bad but its pretty dark.

So after much research i have done pretty much the main things. I did a compression test and got 170-178 across all four coils. I changed the oil thinking it may have the been the problem and it wasn't and also there was not anything mixed in the coolant. so with those two test i pretty much think for the time being my head gasket and #4 cylinder thing is in tact ( not counting it out though) i Changed my 02 Sensor today as well and installed a Bosch One.
I am going to try to clean out the throttle Body tomorrow and see if that helps.

So i am sorry to write so much however i feel like i wanna give you guys as much information as possible. The last thing i can tell you is that my father in law seems to think my spark plugs are soaked. the all four are black on bottom and it reaches about 3-4 threads up. I am not sure if that matters or if that is even not common.

So i guess i am looking for some input as to what other ideas or things i should try? Couild i have faulty gas? I am really puzzled as to where i should even Start. Also would a video of both the smoke and the idle from inside and outside of car help? and specific pictures i should post to help? Please let me know as much as possible to help me in this situation.

Thanks
Old 02-07-2012, 08:59 PM

check your fuel pressure, low pressure can cause rich codes due to injectors not being able to mist

just a total guess
Old 02-07-2012, 11:24 PM
Banned

Check your intercooler system to make sure that it still has all it's fluid in it. My intake manifold sucked all the fluid from my IC system in through a hole that developed in my endplate. That could be the cause of the white smoke and the running bad once you try to rev it up because I had these same symptoms
Old 02-08-2012, 08:50 AM

im pretty sure i dont have an intercooler. My car is supercharged. probably should have stated that earlier. Unless i do have one and i am just stupid. HAHA. i am not the brightest with cars, but i can kinda know some stuff. but that would have made sense.

My car is a 06 Coablt ss/sc
Old 02-08-2012, 10:53 AM
Banned

Technically the thing on the car that cools the fluid is a heat exchanger and the actual intercooler is inside the intake manifold. Unless you've done option b there should be a filler neck between the supercharger and the radiator support. Check to see if there is fluid there. If not and you don't see any on the ground, there's a good chance it's in the intake manifold and being sucked through the engine. When your car is blowing out white smoke, does it smell sweet almost like pancake syrup?
Old 02-08-2012, 01:55 PM

Cool! I will check that when i get home. if it is not that or the throttle body or bad gas i will post a video when i get home and when im done.