Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

instrument cluster going crazy

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
instrument cluster going crazy

i got my cobalt back in january and just recently the needles on the instrument cluster bury themselves and my security light comes on and stays on. also the message center cycles through eveything like; low fuel, power steering, door ajar, brakes. sometimes it will do it once and other times it will just keep doing it for a few minutes then stop. after it does stop my security light stays on and the needles go back to normal or will start to jump up and down. does anyone know what would cause this. i know darn well if i take it to the dealer their just going to tell me we don't notice anything wrong or can't find anything wrong at all.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:44 PM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You are going to have to take it in. It sounds fried. The cluster is controlled by the ECM, but is has it's own flash PROM in it. I'd bet it's shot.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the security system was after market I would go see them first,could be a bad connection.
Most likely the cause of the issues your having,plus they will blame it on it any way.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:52 AM
Vin

Sounds like something fried. If the security system is aftermarket you better start looking at the aftermarket people first. You should probably have it taken out before going to the dealership or they might make you pay for it after they fix it and you do not want to know how much that would cost. If it isn't aftermarket then take the car into the dealership ASAP. If the problem persists you could be left on the road.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:06 PM

Take is to the dealership. My car had a similiar problem when the car had about 8k miles. It took the dealership 3 visits and almost 3 weeks to find the problem. The main wire harness runs behind the radio, and the bundle was chafting on the radio support brackets. It was shorting out several of the wires causing weird **** to happen. My power steering would go out, running lights, tach, speedo, security light would go come, and pretty much everything you explained. The ended up pulling the entire interior out of the car, as well as the dash. Found & fixed the problem, have been good ever since.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:15 PM

yeah its so random too, like it won't do it for awhile and then it will start up again. i don't have an aftermarket security system on it, its the factory one. for some reason i think it does it more often after i wash my car because that's when it did it again. thanks for the tips though, i'm definitly going to make an appointment to get it fixed, its still under factory warranty.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:05 PM

Yeah, I have the same issue and my dealership can't fix it.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:10 AM

I have an 06 Supercharged SS and you can forget about your dealer fixing this. They had mine 3 days, drove it 150 miles, say there is NO codes for this, and they cannot fix what they do not know what it is. Last time mine went out, I lost all gauges and power steerring for more than 24 hours straight. These cars have serious defects that at some level need to be dealt with, not brushed to the side like a bad vegetable at GM's dinner plate.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by pont3800
i got my cobalt back in january and just recently the needles on the instrument cluster bury themselves and my security light comes on and stays on. also the message center cycles through eveything like; low fuel, power steering, door ajar, brakes. sometimes it will do it once and other times it will just keep doing it for a few minutes then stop. after it does stop my security light stays on and the needles go back to normal or will start to jump up and down. does anyone know what would cause this. i know darn well if i take it to the dealer their just going to tell me we don't notice anything wrong or can't find anything wrong at all.
im doing some thread digging

but im having the same problem