Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Interceptor install problem Wahhh! :'(

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 02:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interceptor install problem Wahhh! :'(

OK I tried to install it tonight. It looked so simple. Once I got the pillar off I was like Holy **** this is easy. Well someone felt like smiting me and here I am 2.5 hours later and still a no go...

Basically I tried wiring it into the stock boost gauge cabling as many people have said they have already done. Red cable = 12 v power cable. Well I hooked it to that and no go. Basically when it was hooked that way the 2 lights on it lit red and just stayed that way. I tried starting the car etc and nothing woudl change. I finally got mad and decided to tap off of the radio fuse with an add a fuse I had. I installed that, hooked everything through that and tried again. Guess what? Still just two red lights. Its kinda strange cause even when I shut the car off the red lights usually stay and if you unplug the ODBII sensor cable at that point it will go out.

I cant think of anything else to try. I tried two difference sources of power and cant get this thing to work. radio worked fine through the add a fuse.

also they gave me 2 ODBII cables so I am assuming one was an extra given to me accidently, but I tried that other one too, and still nothing.

My bro "said" he had it in his redline and it was working fine. Could it have detected his car and now it dont want to work with any car but his or something like that?

This is a super easy job and I cant figure out what to do. Anyone have any suggestions?

Old 05-09-2006, 02:13 AM

I would contact Aeroforce bro, I tapped mine via radio fuse as well and it worked perfectly.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:26 AM

Thanks, I will try it in my bro's car again to see what happends and go from there. I hope i dont have to send it back, I couldnt wait to get this, and now i must wait longer, doh!
Old 05-09-2006, 02:32 AM

I think your wiring job is really ghetto from what I can see, so maybe your not getting power.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by AlphaJaguar5
I think your wiring job is really ghetto from what I can see, so maybe your not getting power.
why would I get red lights if no power was getting to it?

When I hooked it to the "add a fuse' I had maybe 2 feet of wire inbetween the gauge and the radio fuse outlet. I had about half an inch of cable from the interceptor end and the add a fuse end exposed wrapped them arround each other, then flattened and electric taped. I know they are making contact, so I dont know how that could be a problem :'(
Old 05-09-2006, 02:41 PM

Well I am making my bro put it back in his car, we will see if it works there.
Old 05-09-2006, 05:42 PM

my bro put it back in his car and it works fine.... IM taking off early to try to get it fixed. Maybe I have a bad ODBII port :'(
Old 05-09-2006, 05:52 PM

Did your brother get the knock issue fixed?
Old 05-09-2006, 09:10 PM

Well heres what I tried.

1.) tried connecting power to both my radio, sunroof, and center cluster fuses using add a fuse.

2.) also tried to connect to the stock boost gauge power cable.

3.) connected to my brothers verified working power cable from his radio using add a fuse and ran calbe from his car into my car.

4.) Tried 2 different ODBII sensors

5.) took my car to Autozone, and had them hook up an ODBII scanner to my car which did link and read no problems.

6.) Discoed my car battery and then reattached it.

7.) I tried different length cables, checked all connections, etc.

8.) tried connecting power first then odb, then tried ODB first then power etc.

9.) tried in my brothers 04 Redline, works perfect boots up does everything (but knock still messed up, he took his car to saturn and has a broken engine mount or leaking mount or something? thinks this may be why)

I even tried powering it from my car and hooking it to my bro's ODB sensor, and still no go. also tried powering from his car and hooking to my ODB still nothing. We tried starting the cars up in different order and even at the same time and nothing.

I cant figure this one out. Now IM curious if any 06 ss/sc's ahve these? Cuase it doesnt make sense.... I am very electritechnical I build computers for a living and know its nothing simple that I missed, as I wired it in my bro's car and had it working too boot.

I am going to contact (or already have as of last night but havent got a response back yet) aeroforce and look to get another one just to test and see if its the gauge some how. If the new one doesnt work I guess the aeroforce isnt for me and im screwed. Oh well this sucks *****. I will update more when I hear back from them.

My radio is still F'ed, gonna setup an appointment for that.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:14 PM

sounds to me like it's not getting signal, it lights up, verifying it has power but it's not changing because the signal is not changing. Be sure your signal connections are secure and then you are wiring it to the correct spot on the OBD-II port.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:27 PM

Its pretty fool proof. I feel you, it sounds like its getting power and just not reading my car. I know its not the port as autozone linked up fine. I also know its not the cable cause I tried 2 different ones, and they work fine when in my bro's car. So that leaves teh gauge and the ECU....

Old 05-09-2006, 09:30 PM

can someone who has this installed and working check the prongs you have on your ODB? cause I only have the ones circled above. Do you have the same ones or a diff pattern?

Old 05-10-2006, 03:11 PM

So can someone with this installed verify the prongs in the above picture, and anyone with an 06 with this installed can you say so?
Old 05-10-2006, 03:27 PM

VERIFIED - my prongs are exactly the same - 5 on top and 2 on the bottom. I just ordered my gauage and by the sounds of it, may have to cancel if you don't get yours up and running. Let us know if you get good service from the vendor you bought it from and that would be.......????
Old 05-10-2006, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by 2006ArrivalBlueSS
VERIFIED - my prongs are exactly the same - 5 on top and 2 on the bottom. I just ordered my gauage and by the sounds of it, may have to cancel if you don't get yours up and running. Let us know if you get good service from the vendor you bought it from and that would be.......????
So far I emailed their server dept twice no response. I am looking to send it back for a replacement, if that one dont work then for a refund.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:48 PM

Looks like they got back to me. here is the email trail..

Our address is:

Aeroforce Technology Inc.
3967 Truxton Place
Avon, OH 44011

Hmmm, these are all tested before going out, and we have several local '06 Cobalt SS's using them.

Sorry for the trouble but you should send it back and we'll repair/replace it if necessary. We'll refund your UPS ground or USPS Priority shipping charges.

Todd
Aeroforce

Does his gauge work on your car, and you gauge does not work on any car right? I think I need to get it back, sorry.
Todd

Is your car a supercharged SS or the 2.4L?
Todd

Jeremy Monaco wrote:
OK, I did all the testing I can and cannot get this thing to work. I took my car to autozone today and had them test the ODBII connector with their data logger and it worked fine. I tried to tap off 3 different fuses my sunroof, my radio, and my gauge cluster fuses as well as a direct tap off of the stock boost gauge power cable which was verified working. I even tried to run a long power cable from my bro’s verified working interceptor power connector in his car which he has uses with his for quite some time. Still nothing. I get two red lights all the time, but the screen never boots up. I know many people who have this installed in their cobalts and it works flawlessly for them. I don’t see why I am having these issues as its not a hard install, would have taken 10 minutes had it worked. Hardest part is getting it to stay sturdy in the stock gauge pod. Wireing is simple.

I was hoping to be able to send this one back for a replacement as an RMA so I can try a new one?

Also I am curious if you have tested this on 2006 cobalt SS’s? I have a supercharged SS from 2006 and I cant get this thing to work 

Please get back to me and let me know what can be done.

Thanks.

Sent: Tuesday, May 09, 2006 4:37 AM
To: 'service@aeroforcetech.com'
Subject: Recieved aeroforce today and doesnt appear to work?

Hi, I recently placed an order with you guys for a Cobalt SS Interceptor and it was delivered today. Today I attempted install and no matter what I do I get 2 red lights, and no screen. Originally I used “add a fuse” and spliced off of my radio fuse. I verified this config many times over but would get nothing but the 2 red lights. I then decided to splice into a red 12 volt cable from my original boost gauge that I knew worked without a doubt, and still received the same thing. 2 red lights up top and nothing else. I tried starting my engine, I tried driving, I even tried 2 different cables for the ODBII sensor. I read the full manual on your site, as well as followed the directions to a T as far as the mini manual that came with it was concerned. IM not sure what else is left to try. Are you familiar with just 2 red lights, and what that may mean? Please any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Jeremy Monaco
Old 05-10-2006, 08:35 PM

Good luck with it...let us know how everything turns out. I cancelled my order anyway, not to mention they were out of stock of the black faced gauges. Now if I could only get so luck with Stage 1....hmmmm
Old 05-18-2006, 12:24 AM

a/f ratio

does anybody know how to hook up the analog wire to get a/f ratio?????
Old 05-18-2006, 01:59 AM

[QUOTE=Xenozx]

We have one of those on our cars. What is that!!??
Old 05-18-2006, 11:36 AM

Anu updates? I just wanted to let you know that I got mine and installed it without any problems. I didn't use the "add a fuse" thing - just spliced into a 12V acc wire in the fuse box which I find has been very reliable over the years, not to mention cleaner looking with the proper splice part. I love the gauge BTW
Old 05-18-2006, 11:44 AM

Maybe since it was for the redline it might not be able to read the cobalt, because i just installed mine in my 05 ss/sc and i spliced it it the 12v power for the boost gauge and it comes on with no problem.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:50 AM

Call Todd from Aeroforce. He is a great guy and will help you out as best he can. My back light died and he had it fixed and sent back out asap. I pm'd you his phone number. Leave him a message with your phone number and he will get back with you within a day or two.

Or not because your pm box is full. I'm not posting his number so you will have to clear your box and pm me for it.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:51 AM

i spliced it into the red wire from the old boost guage. worked great had it installed in 10 minutes. anyone hook up the analog wire for the a/f ratio yet? i'm going to try it today... i believe you can splice it in the yellow wire from the old boost guage. i'll have to check the volts first.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by AlphaJaguar5
lol he said ghetto
Old 05-18-2006, 02:57 PM

I sent it back and it was delivered to them on the 15th. I just sent an email asking where we go from here. I hope they dont try to fix it as I dont believe that will ammount to anything hence it worked in my bro's car and not mine.

And I bought an SS version, and it worked fine in my brothers redline. the SS version didnt work in my cobalt SS lol???

Quick Reply: Interceptor install problem Wahhh! :'(