Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Interior Noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Interior Noise

I have been constantly having a problem with interior. It seems to start when I back up or drive over my driveway or any other bump on the road (intermittent at times). It either rattles or pops in the right rear, just behind the front passenger seat (above on the roof) and in the right corner. I took the airbag plastic piece off in the back to see if that was the problem, but it wasn't. I also had the dealer look at the problem and they have replaced the rear suspension supports and absorbers. It still makes the popping noise - like a plastic to plastic popping sound. Thank you for any help.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:54 PM

do you have a sunroof?

If so is your sunroof cover thingy pushed back to where you can see through the sunroof?

If you answered yes to these 2 questions, try closing it and drive and see if it works, I know a lot of people have problems when you push it too far back and hit bumps its a loud noise, you have to push it all the way back then bring it back a couple inches and the noise goes away.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:56 PM

Nope...I tried it out, but it didn't work. The whole right side is making a loud popping noise. It sounds like the passenger and rear right doors...Could they be misaligned? Anyone else have this problem. Thanks
Old 08-25-2009, 06:36 PM

If the doors weren't lining up right you should be able to tell from looking at them when they are closed, or by opening and closing the doors they wouldn't really flow as smooth. I guess to be safe I would open them up and check out all the connections and see if anything looks off, I guess it is possible..

I'm not sure where acworth is but if it is really cold where you are our cars make very odd noises. I know once it starts to get into the 30's here in louisiana (since thats about as cold as it ever gets here) my car will make a lot of suspension noise especially in the rear. Just another thing I figured I'd throw out in case...

Anyone else want to chime in?
Old 08-25-2009, 06:41 PM

i had the same noise in my 08 sport its quite the loud popping sound isnt it....i never could figure out where it was coming from either.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:10 PM

My car spent 2 days at the dealer trying to find this exact same noise! They took the interior trims in the rear out, removed ALL trunk trims and spare and they even had the rear bumper cover off and re torqued the body seams to spec. Guess what, it's still there! If they have to go through that much trouble to find this rattle I would rather them not have my car raped like that again. If anyone finds the problem then please make sure to post the fix as the noise drives me nuts with no music on
Old 08-26-2009, 11:15 AM

Thanks for the insights everyone...I am still having the problem. I am going to take it back into the dealership and have an extended test drive with the technician on Friday. I'll let everyone know if anything comes out of it.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:21 AM

My 08 sport used to have a squeaking noise coming from the back right. Radio off, i almost wanted to kill myself.
It randomly disappeared one day.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:51 AM

Jhw82: I am having the EXACT same problem. I have an '07 SS/SC I bought brand new that currently has 43,000 miles...the noises started when the car got to around 3,000 miles and have not stopped since. Just like you said, I'm hearing a loud rattle, popping noise in the rear of the car from the b-pillar to the back on the passenger side. For me it happens over bumps (could be the slightest bump too), leaning into turns, going up or down my driveway, and even when I'm at a stop and gas up or comming to a stop.

Took it to the dealer twice in the past. First time they said they added extra padding in the rear panels...did not fix the noise. Second time they said it was the battery cable running from the trunk hitting the panels and that they repositioned the cable...no change either. Lately it's gotten worse. The noise is driving me nuts and I want to drive the car off a cliff. I'm thinking of taking it do the dealer one more time, but please let me know what you find.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:00 AM

I have a 09 ss and i got it as well /got approx 4000 miles and has a pop noise on slight turns when i hit a bump /didnt do it when new.Im a gm tech and i know that it will be a pita to fix ...if ever .I think that i will just deal with it .I have no idea what it is .I wont even try to fix it becouse it will take me a long time to locate it and gm will dick me on my time ....i dont want to spend 5 hrs to locate it and get paid 2 Thats why weird noises sometimes wont get fixed at a dealer becouse the car co dicks the tech......
Old 08-27-2009, 09:02 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Received 197 Likes on 175 Posts
my car makes the noise you are speaking of, but mine is on the drivers side. it sounds like something sticky is rubbing against a panel and when the car hits a bump it un-sticks making that poping noise. it doesnt happen all the time, nor is it anywhere near as bad as the back seat retainer clip squeak. thank God i fixed that problem.

if anyone figures it out, make a how to. until then ill just turn up the radio
Old 08-27-2009, 09:22 AM

Thanks for the input...I do want to get to the bottom of this. It is has the dealership right now. This will be the 3rd time. My dealer suggests that I call GM and declare it has a lemon. Perhaps they will either replace the car or make a couple of payments for me? I don't know, but I am going to get something out of them since I have been in a rental car everyone month and every week with different problems on this car.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:07 AM

There was a TSB about a loud "popping" noise coming from the rear of the cabin. It was caused by the rear seat bottoms' metal bracket coming into contact with the body mounting point. Might want to get it checked for that... I'll try to find a link to the fix...

Edit: Here's the link with the TSB: https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/show...+bracket+noise
Old 08-27-2009, 10:16 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Received 197 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by Illini_06SS
There was a TSB about a loud "popping" noise coming from the rear of the cabin. It was caused by the rear seat bottoms' metal bracket coming into contact with the body mounting point. Might want to get it checked for that... I'll try to find a link to the fix...

Edit: Here's the link with the TSB: https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/show...+bracket+noise
that's not the same thing we are talking about. that's the fix for the rear seat retainer clip squeak. thanks for looking though
Old 08-27-2009, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by jhw82
Thanks for the input...I do want to get to the bottom of this. It is has the dealership right now. This will be the 3rd time. My dealer suggests that I call GM and declare it has a lemon. Perhaps they will either replace the car or make a couple of payments for me? I don't know, but I am going to get something out of them since I have been in a rental car everyone month and every week with different problems on this car.
I don't think you can declare a car a lemon over interior rattles, unfortunately. If the car is not breaking down and runs fine it's not a lemon...unless I am mistaken. But that's the thing that sucks about this problem. If it weren't for these noises, the car is fine. But these damn noises make me want to get rid of the car. And that's a major concern, who would buy the damn thing if it's making all this noise? I know if I test drove a car and it was making sounds like this I'd say no thank you. Going to be hard to sell it to someone.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

I have two interior noises in my 2009. I currently have 6,000 miles on it.

I have this tink tink tink somewhere in the dash lol... and it is driving me nuts. I am going to have to get someone to ride with me to listen around in there.

I too am having the popping noise in the rear seat or pillar area like you guys are mentioning. Please, if anyone knows what it is, let me know!

I'm going to have to get someone to ride back there as well.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:25 AM
Premium Member

I have this aswell with my 09 @5K miles . I think it's body flex with the door frame hitting something as it only happens when i'm turning or hit a bump. Almost like a door isn't shut all the way kinda sound . My 06 with 30K on it didn't make this noise. It's driving me nuts.

MORAL of the story.............NEVER buy a car when the UAW is giving concessions or is pissed at the car companys
Old 08-28-2009, 03:29 AM

rattles check in. glove box and cowl rattles galore. but i just crank up the music to fix it
Old 08-28-2009, 09:19 AM

i get the popping noise behind my passenger door somewhere when the body flexes.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by rckrz6
i get the popping noise behind my passenger door somewhere when the body flexes.
I kind of thought it could be due to body flex. But how much do these car flex? Because the smallest bump, or just pulling away from a stop sign causes the noise. I can't imagine the body is flexing too much in those cases. If the problem is body flex, are there sub-frame connectors available for these cars somewhere?

Last edited by LS1Hawk; 08-28-2009 at 02:51 PM.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by rukkee
I have this aswell with my 09 @5K miles . I think it's body flex with the door frame hitting something as it only happens when i'm turning or hit a bump. Almost like a door isn't shut all the way kinda sound.
This is a better written, explanation of what is happening on my car.
Old 08-29-2009, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by LS1Hawk
I kind of thought it could be due to body flex. But how much do these car flex? Because the smallest bump, or just pulling away from a stop sign causes the noise. I can't imagine the body is flexing too much in those cases. If the problem is body flex, are there sub-frame connectors available for these cars somewhere?
poorly made car.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:27 PM

I had a strange noise from that area, and it was actually the bottom of the trunk rubbing on the trunk stops. Look for worn paint. I adjusted the stops and lubed them.

Also, I think GM has a bulletin on door latch strikers making noise over bumps. Replace the striker(s).
Old 08-29-2009, 11:54 PM

I got my car back from the dealership and they fixed the top roof (under the headliner). They stated they "tighten some brackets," but I still have the noise. I will ask the about the strikers though...

That same day I received word from GM that someone has been assigned to my case and unofficially I should up having a new car replacement by the end of this month sometime. I will find out on Monday.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by jhw82
I got my car back from the dealership and they fixed the top roof (under the headliner). They stated they "tighten some brackets," but I still have the noise. I will ask the about the strikers though...

That same day I received word from GM that someone has been assigned to my case and unofficially I should up having a new car replacement by the end of this month sometime. I will find out on Monday.

Check your split fold down seats (if you have them) and make sure they are locked.
I had a noise like that and thats what it was.

Quick Reply: Interior Noise