Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Interior Noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 12:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check your link pins in the rear they might have play !!
Old 08-31-2009, 11:21 AM

What and where is the link pins?
Old 08-31-2009, 03:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine is making the exjact same noise. The creeking and little dumb noises are very VERY annoying. It started making these right after they replaced my whole sunroof.
Old 08-31-2009, 03:42 PM
Vtec Rep
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kinda stupid but i heard a noise the other day when i was driveing and looked over to the passanger side and it was the seatbelt hiting the door from the wind. i just put it in the little holder/slot. other than that i havent had any noises
Old 08-31-2009, 04:14 PM

Yeah I don't know what is going on...I took the whole deck lid apart today and tried looking for the source, but didn't do anything. Noise is still there! The lemon law attorney contacted me today and I am going to pursue and car re-purchase and go get myself a Toyota (which I never had problems with).
Old 08-31-2009, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by jhw82
I got my car back from the dealership and they fixed the top roof (under the headliner). They stated they "tighten some brackets," but I still have the noise. I will ask the about the strikers though...

That same day I received word from GM that someone has been assigned to my case and unofficially I should up having a new car replacement by the end of this month sometime. I will find out on Monday.
It seems the dealers are just as clueless as we are as to what is causing this noise, which is why I don't want to waste my time taking the car to them again. It's nice that they are going to potentially replace your car with a new one, but honestly I wouldn't want another one of these. You're likely to have the same issue.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:51 PM

Yeah, I hear you...I don't want another Cobalt...I don't mind another GM like a Malibu or a new Equinox or a Camaro would be nice...

I have a noise in the front passenger side door as well that is sounding like the rear noise...I haven't heard the rear noise yet again today though strangely.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by jhw82
Yeah, I hear you...I don't want another Cobalt...I don't mind another GM like a Malibu or a new Equinox or a Camaro would be nice...

I have a noise in the front passenger side door as well that is sounding like the rear noise...I haven't heard the rear noise yet again today though strangely.
Do you have a 4 door? I was thinking of getting some of that 3M tape and putting it on the door strikers and seeing if that helps the noise at all, because at times it sounds like its coming from the doors.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:15 AM

I tried the 3M tape yesterday on the strikers and it didn't do the trick...It is definitely coming from the right passenger and right rear doors and also in the right rear corner as well.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:34 PM

Does anyone know if GM people frequent this board? Being it's a dedicated Cobalt forum with a lot of traffic, I would imagine there's got to be some Cobalt product managers checking in to see what people are saying. If we could maybe find a contact and get their email and send them our complaints maybe we can get somewhere.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:53 PM

The only other time i had a noise it was coming from the rear of the car.It seemed to happen when i hit a speed bump or a bump in the road at a slow speed.The car went into the shop at least four times before they figured it out .It was the emergency brake, it had seemed to be hung some how. they released it and ever since then no problem.I know it sucks when things like this happen but not every car is without problems.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:08 PM

I have a GM contact and he has been working with me...I am awaiting to her official word on getting my car bought back by Chevy and getting a credit to go pick out another car. I have been to the dealership over a dozen times for this same problem and now it is coming from the doors as well...They have replaced and e-brake and it is tightly snugged.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:22 PM

Jhw82 ... Have you told your contact that many other owners you have spoken to are experiencing the same problem? Did they say anything if GM is looking into what the cause of the noise is and how to fix it?

It's good to hear they they are helping you in terms of getting a new car. But in some of our cases our cars are a few years older (mine's an '07) or have more mileage so they probably wouldn't be worth a buy-back. I'm hoping that they can find a fix for this and perhaps issue a recall. Perhaps you could email them a link to this thread to show how everyone is disgusted with this and having no luck with dealers.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:10 PM

Check the door striker. If it's greasey, put a glove on and push and pull on it in every direction to see if it makes any kind of sound. With the door closed, it can really transmit sound in weird directions. I had my passenger side replaced under warranty.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:17 PM

i get the same clunk/pop in the back right of the vehicle
Old 09-03-2009, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by LS1Hawk
Does anyone know if GM people frequent this board? Being it's a dedicated Cobalt forum with a lot of traffic, I would imagine there's got to be some Cobalt product managers checking in to see what people are saying. If we could maybe find a contact and get their email and send them our complaints maybe we can get somewhere.
It would certainly make sense for them to do that. Likewise the people that are designing future models, marketing people etc. It would make sense for them to find out what problems "customers" are experiencing, positive and negative about "their" product.

Because it makes sense, I'm pretty sure they don't do it. I've been pleased with the car but the Stealership has done nothing but **** me off. After each service, I would get a survey from GM, and despite comments that certainly should make someone in "customer satisfaction" (...if that exists) to do some follow up. But it never happened. Since the car is now out of "warranty" (for what the GM warranty is worth at some (not all) dealerships) it goes elsewhere for service.

So...no...I'm pretty sure they don't want valuable feedback like they would find in here.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:48 PM

I've tried the passenger door striker plates and did what you described and no noise. Tomorrow at 1:30pm I hear of GM's final decision. I have told them that many (like here on this forum) are having same or similar problems with their Cobalt SS. I'll let everyone know what I find out tomorrow.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:09 AM

Talking

All I know is Tuesday I drove my 2008 Hummer H3 to work (40 miles) without the radio on and I didn't hear one noise.

I drive my car to work without the radio on and it sounds like it is 20 years old. WTF.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by Gene Culley
All I know is Tuesday I drove my 2008 Hummer H3 to work (40 miles) without the radio on and I didn't hear one noise.

I drive my car to work without the radio on and it sounds like it is 20 years old. WTF.
Seriously, the noise is so embarrassing I don't like taking people out in my car. It literally sounds like the car is going to fall apart on the road. My Trans Am is 7 years old, doesn't make one squeak. This car was not even a year old and started making these noises and hasn't stopped since.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:12 AM

It is official, I am getting my car repurchased on Wednesday on next week!
Old 09-06-2009, 08:28 AM

That's awesome! What are you going to get? BTW, what number did you call to get in touch with GM?
Old 09-06-2009, 09:14 AM

I called 1-866-790-5600 to speak w/ a customer rep and then they assigned a case manager to my case. They are really nice and fair about everything.

I don't know what I'll be getting next, perhaps I'll get the wife and car and take her lease (08 Nissan Rogue SL) since I think I want to try to drive a SUV for a while (until April '11) or I may just say heck with the wife and go get back an Acura.
Old 09-06-2009, 05:14 PM

Thanks for the phone #. I think I might give them a call and see if there's anything they can do. I don't expect a buy back given mine is an '07 with 44K on the odometer, however I still have a warranty because I bought an extra two years. But what were the conditions you had to meet for them to buy back your car?
Old 09-06-2009, 09:01 PM

GA lemon law says 3 attempts to repair a single problem and then after that it is a lemon. I just told the person to contact my dealer and see the long list of repairs that I've had and the # of rental cars I've been in. I just followed the law and stated to them what I wanted and what the law says that I am entitled too.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:23 PM
Premium Member

If you want a print out of the warranty claims send me the vin and i'll pull the service history for you .

Quick Reply: Interior Noise