Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Jerking, loss of power while accelerating, rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jerking, loss of power while accelerating, rough idle

Ok so first off, I'd like to say that I did search for this issue and I only found one other post from someone that seemed to be having this issue and it looked like everyone was just accusing them of not knowing how to drive a manual, which is not the case for me, as I've had this car (2006 LS) for almost 8 years.

I'm having three issues. The worst thing is after driving for a few minutes, while cruising at any speed, the car will jerk/buck. Sometimes it's a subtle jerk, other times it's rather violent. It's not a constant jerk though. It will happen once and then will wait a few seconds, maybe a few minutes, and then jerk again. It used to only do this at high speeds but now it does it around town too. And it only happens if I maintain a set speed for a little while, not when I'm accelerating.

I did have an acceleration issue a few days ago though. I was accelerating pretty hard (didn't have the pedal to the floor, but pretty close) and shortly after shifting into second gear, I lost a LOT of power and it idled really rough for a few seconds before finally pulling itself together. I haven't driven it hard since then, as I'm afraid I might kill my car.

The third issue is idling. When I first start it up, it tends to repeatedly rev itself (between 800 and 1200 RPMs) for a few seconds. If I give it some gas during this time, as soon as I let off of the pedal, the RPMs will dive down to about 500. A couple days ago, I started it and it immediately stalled. On the rare days that it does start up without any issues, it only lasts until I cut on the fan and then it starts idling rough again.

So far, I've replaced the fuel filter, MAF sensor (or is it MAP sensor?), catalytic converter (because I had a CEL for it from a misfiring issue I had a few months ago), spark plugs, boots, coil pack and I've tried using a fuel treatment. Every time I think it's fixed, it proves me wrong. Also, the CEL isn't on. I wish it would come on and tell me what's wrong so I can stop replacing random items and crossing my fingers. I feel like Dr. House...
Old 01-28-2014, 06:40 PM

stuck injector?
Old 01-28-2014, 06:42 PM

or maybe a throttle body issue??? Those would be my guesses
Old 01-28-2014, 07:19 PM

I also thought it might have something to do with the throttle body. Maybe the throttle position sensor? I Googled the signs of a bad TPS earlier and from what I saw, it can cause all three of the things I'm experiencing.