Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Key won't turn. Up shit creek.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 03:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Key won't turn. Up **** creek.

Okay so I tried to get start my SS/TC the other day and when I put the key in, it just didn't do anything. I tried to crank it forward and it just didn't move. Almost like something in the ignition is stuck or something. They key doesn't move at all. I tried wiggling the steering wheel and everything else. The steering wheel is completely locked up and so are the brakes. I have to get it towed to my house now. I really don't want to have to bring it to the dealer with the risk of my warranty getting voided.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 04-01-2010, 03:44 PM

happened to me before but try turning the wheel really hard , i mean harder then you first did.

Worked for when it happened to me, i freaked and was stuck in a parking lot for a hour then from being pissed i pulled and guess it unlocked the wheel and key was able to move forward
Old 04-01-2010, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shez
Okay so I tried to get start my SS/TC the other day and when I put the key in, it just didn't do anything. I tried to crank it forward and it just didn't move. Almost like something in the ignition is stuck or something. They key doesn't move at all. I tried wiggling the steering wheel and everything else. The steering wheel is completely locked up and so are the brakes. I have to get it towed to my house now. I really don't want to have to bring it to the dealer with the risk of my warranty getting voided.

Anyone have any ideas?

Dude try turning your wheel left or right.

You have to pull hard, mine did it once.
Old 04-01-2010, 03:47 PM

and if that doesn't work take it to the dealer theyre not going to void you warranty because the key is stuck
Old 04-01-2010, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by DjJoeski87
and if that doesn't work take it to the dealer theyre not going to void you warranty because the key is stuck
No but they will do the recall on the steering. Then they will.
Old 04-01-2010, 03:51 PM

yea try moving steering to left to right when it goes far enough you should be able to turn the key
Old 04-01-2010, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by crypticscifer
No but they will do the recall on the steering. Then they will.
but what does the power steering motor have anything to do with any mods? Ive taken my car in for rear brakes and headlights numerous times with my tune and boltons with nothing said. then earlier this month they dropped a brand new motor in there with no questions asked. it was a porous block, it cracked right in the coolant chamber.
Old 04-01-2010, 03:57 PM

your steering is locked. think of it as any extra security feature. you must of cranked on the wheel after turning car off. wow. cant believe you didnt know this. here's your sign.

Old 04-01-2010, 04:02 PM

happened in my ls..you have to pull thewheel against the steering lock to get the key to turn...pull HARD
Old 04-01-2010, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Dead Zen
your steering is locked. think of it as any extra security feature. you must of cranked on the wheel after turning car off. wow. cant believe you didnt know this. here's your sign.
Seriously, man... If you're not going to help me you can go hang yourself upside down from a tree and **** in your own mouth. Go troll some other threads and not mine.

The steering wheel locked me trying to move the wheel and turn the key and the same time which is pretty much the only advice I got. You can't blame me for trying it.

Boxxy can rot in hell, by the way.

Last edited by Shez; 04-01-2010 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-01-2010, 04:50 PM

well...that happened to me too... except when it did it wasnt that.. I was in the parking lot and my battery connection came loose and i had to have my dad bring me my spare keys to get into the trunk. Opened it messed with the connectors to my battery and sure enough it turned over... try that if it just is not ur steering wheel lock. that seriously might be it.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:52 PM

if it still doesnt work, you might have a bad lock cyl, try hitting the back of the key with the palm of your hand. but its probably just locked.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by SC cobaltss15
well...that happened to me too... except when it did it wasnt that.. I was in the parking lot and my battery connection came loose and i had to have my dad bring me my spare keys to get into the trunk. Opened it messed with the connectors to my battery and sure enough it turned over... try that if it just is not ur steering wheel lock. that seriously might be it.
Definitely not my battery. I disconnected and reconnected the battery in hopes of getting it working again. I can turn my headlights on and **** so I'm pretty sure it isn't dead. I'm stuck, man.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:58 PM

I had a problem with the lock cylinder in my brothers jeep. With the key in the ignition hit the back of the key a few times and then try to turn it.

Edit: with a screw driver or a flash light, but not a hammer.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:59 PM

Sounds good. I'll definitely try that. A couple friends as well as my friends dad who is a mechanic said to try WD40 in the ignition as well. Another Cobalt owner also told me that worked.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:00 PM

ours does that pretty regularly, if you are parking and you have the wheel turning when you turn it off, it can lock into the locked position (or if you turn the wheel while the Key is out of the cylinder) You have to really crank on the wheel to get the key to work again, try both directions and while pulling on the wheel turn the key. (We have a hill in the driveway that always makes the car move far enough with the wheel turned to lock the wheel and cylinder.) This is not a "problem" it's part of the safety mechanisim when the car is off.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:03 PM

pb blaster is better imho but wd40 will work too, if your tumblers(?) are sticking then you wont be able to turn the key, or if your key is worn/cut too far. did you try your spare?
Old 04-01-2010, 05:07 PM

Try inserting the key and pushing up while turning the wheel to the left. That worked the time this happened to me.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:12 PM

have you tried wrenching the wheel yet?

its happened to me many timmes. wrench wheel and turn key.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by DjJoeski87
but what does the power steering motor have anything to do with any mods? Ive taken my car in for rear brakes and headlights numerous times with my tune and boltons with nothing said. then earlier this month they dropped a brand new motor in there with no questions asked. it was a porous block, it cracked right in the coolant chamber.
Don't shoot the messenger, if you read the bulletin sent the the techs they are told to check the ECU, i believe.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by crypticscifer
Don't shoot the messenger, if you read the bulletin sent the the techs they are told to check the ECU, i believe.
Well, I have my stock ECU in now, so I should be okay with that one. I'm just worried about having charge piping and a catless dp and what not. I know those mods don't affect the ignition at all but still. Dealerships try to **** you any way they can.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:33 PM

Well, I have my stock ECU in now, so I should be okay with that one. I'm just worried about having charge piping and a catless dp and what not. I know those mods don't affect the ignition at all but still. Dealerships try to **** you any way they can.

No not related. And what dealer do you go to?
Old 04-01-2010, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by blackbolt89
have you tried wrenching the wheel yet?

its happened to me many timmes. wrench wheel and turn key.
Yeah, man. Tried it plenty. Tried using my spare, tried turning the key while a friend messes with the wheel, tried turning the wheel while a friend turns the key and another friend watches. I'm at a loss. I still have to try using some WD40 and then hitting the key in. I'll let you guys know how it works out.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:44 PM
Banned

Seriously, man... If you're not going to help me you can go hang yourself upside down from a tree and **** in your own mouth. Go troll some other threads and not mine.

The steering wheel locked me trying to move the wheel and turn the key and the same time which is pretty much the only advice I got. You can't blame me for trying it.

agreed if you dont got some good input dont say jackk at alll

agreed if you dont got some good input dont say jackk at alll and this has happened to me but the key got stuck inside and the whole car goes dead. You have to get it jumped and i have a brand new batt from the dealer in there so its not that maybe recall?

Last edited by rossshady120; 04-01-2010 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-01-2010, 05:49 PM

Yeah, man. Tried it plenty. Tried using my spare, tried turning the key while a friend messes with the wheel, tried turning the wheel while a friend turns the key and another friend watches. I'm at a loss. I still have to try using some WD40 and then hitting the key in. I'll let you guys know how it works out.
The one time this happened to me, I think I had to go back and forth a few times on the wheel and at the same time I was cranking.

Like try turning to the left and then cranking simultaneously, then try the right.

Quick Reply: Key won't turn. Up shit creek.