Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Key won't turn. Up shit creek.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 05:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by crypticscifer
The one time this happened to me, I think I had to go back and forth a few times on the wheel and at the same time I was cranking.

Like try turning to the left and then cranking simultaneously, then try the right.
Tried it. I even tried turning the keys around and even cleaning the keys off. I thought maybe some dust or something could have screwed it up.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shez
Tried it. I even tried turning the keys around and even cleaning the keys off. I thought maybe some dust or something could have screwed it up.
Where in Hudson Co you @? I can maybe stop by on my way home from work.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:03 PM

Where in Hudson Co you @? I can maybe stop by on my way home from work.
PMd.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:04 PM

PMd.
not me you didn't
Old 04-01-2010, 06:06 PM

not me you didn't
Haha. I made the post before I sent the PM. Ma bad.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:06 PM

Haha. I made the post before I sent the PM. Ma bad.
Oh I thought it was another great feature this site offer's......... snail mail.

OK, I'll call you when I'm on my way.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:10 PM

Awesome. I'm stuck in work until 8 by the way so I won't be out until then.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:17 PM

Awesome. I'm stuck in work until 8 by the way so I won't be out until then.
No worries that's the time i was figuring anyway. Commuting into the City FTW....
Old 04-01-2010, 06:20 PM

You are a woman correct?
Old 04-01-2010, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by ecotecturbo
You are a woman correct?
You kiss your mother with that mouth?
Old 04-01-2010, 09:19 PM

I had the key get stuck while the car was running, beat that! Sure you can turn the wheel, but what the hell is that gonna do for you? It turned out both my ignition lock and BCM were bad, a short occured in the PASSKEYIII+ system, I was issued new keys, the lock cylinder, ignition switch passkey module, bcm and a steering lock pin were all replaced. (please do NOT wrench on your steering wheel too hard, it makes it 100 times more likely to occur again, it's a tiny little thing inside the column and once it gets to looking ugly it gets stuck.)

If all else fails I would simply jack the front of the car up until the tires are off the ground, then try working at the steering wheel, if there is/was tension from it's position that will relieve it.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:12 AM

Goooooood news! Getting my car back from the dealer today. Had it towed there Friday, I think. Bad ignition cylinder. They said it was binded up or something. Replaced it free of charge under warranty. I guess they didn't check under the hood and see my intake, charge piping, or look under the car and see my catless dp. Haha. Thank god.

I've been driving this shitty loaner Aveo for the last two days. Embarrassing. I miss my car so much.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:16 PM

Same thing happens to me...it's happeend about 5 times now. But for me, the wheel isn't locked and my wheels aren't turned. I have to get the wheel to lock first, and then try to unlock it which is extremely difficult. I am able to get it unlocked every time but it's a huge pain. Guess I gotta bring it into the dealer. Weird thing is my ignition was replaced a year ago.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:04 PM

I did not go through and read the thread. I work at a Gm garage and i believe that there is a recall out there for this on the lock cyclinder.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:09 PM
Vtec Rep
Platinum Member

theres not a recall but if you have problems before january 2013 it will be replaced. I got a letter for it though.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by BPacak
theres not a recall but if you have problems before january 2013 it will be replaced. I got a letter for it though.
I wasnt sure if it was a recall. I just know i have to do like 5 lock cylinders a day. Coding them things sucks.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:14 PM

there was a recall for it recently, the dealership did it to mine last time i was in there
Old 06-13-2011, 07:16 PM

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/reca...56-new-239650/
Old 12-20-2011, 01:59 PM

I had the same problem with my 09 cobalt. I had to kill it and then disconnect the battery each time I wasn’t using it. When it first happened I didn’t have another key with me and I was forced to leave my car unlocked (with the key stuck in the ignition). All you had to do to start it was wiggle the key. It was really unsafe since a little child could have gotten in my car and injured or killed someone. The defect is even more unsafe in automatic cobalts; if someone crashed their car and gasoline was leaking, then the car could explode since there is no practical way to kill it. I informed GM about their manufacturing defect but they did not seem to care. They have a "service bulletin" at Document ID: 2552146, but they only honor certain 2009 cobalts with certain VIN #s (I'm guessing very few, since my car wasn’t one of them and it had the exact same defect as described on their service bulletin). Since GM wasn't very helpful for me, and I bet they will treat you similarly, I would suggest filing a recall complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) at https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ to inform them of the common problem people are having with the ignition lock cylinder and to tell them of your safety concerns and GMs failure to truly remedy the situation. If the defective part is put on the recall list then GM will be forced by the government to replace the item that they negligently put into our cars in the first place and the government will force them to make our car as safe as what it should be. Please contact NHTSA if you have had a similar incident, otherwise GM will once again get away with screwing over their customers and disregarding their customers' safety.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Rustychief
I had the same problem with my 09 cobalt. I had to kill it and then disconnect the battery each time I wasn’t using it. When it first happened I didn’t have another key with me and I was forced to leave my car unlocked (with the key stuck in the ignition). All you had to do to start it was wiggle the key. It was really unsafe since a little child could have gotten in my car and injured or killed someone. The defect is even more unsafe in automatic cobalts; if someone crashed their car and gasoline was leaking, then the car could explode since there is no practical way to kill it. I informed GM about their manufacturing defect but they did not seem to care. They have a "service bulletin" at Document ID: 2552146, but they only honor certain 2009 cobalts with certain VIN #s (I'm guessing very few, since my car wasn’t one of them and it had the exact same defect as described on their service bulletin). Since GM wasn't very helpful for me, and I bet they will treat you similarly, I would suggest filing a recall complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) at https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ to inform them of the common problem people are having with the ignition lock cylinder and to tell them of your safety concerns and GMs failure to truly remedy the situation. If the defective part is put on the recall list then GM will be forced by the government to replace the item that they negligently put into our cars in the first place and the government will force them to make our car as safe as what it should be. Please contact NHTSA if you have had a similar incident, otherwise GM will once again get away with screwing over their customers and disregarding their customers' safety.
Did you just copy and paste this in like 6 different threads? Gotta get your post count up I guess?