Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   Problems/Service/Maintenance (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/problems-service-maintenance-69/)
-   -   loosing boost in M62 @ WOT (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/problems-service-maintenance-69/loosing-boost-m62-%40-wot-315367/)

Spawne32 01-27-2015 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by southal cobalt (Post 7480723)
i wasnt very clear on what i was trying to say. the end all be all solution would be to ditch the m62 if he wants to make power to 8k rpm. but if he went up in pulley size, the max power point of the powerband would move more towards redline and not drop off as badly near redline. it may make less power, but id be suprised if there was much of a loss. a 3 inch pulley would spin the m62 to 17000 rpm at 8 k rpm of engine speed

That power drop off is not bad at all, have you seen small turbo car's? My brothers speed6 will drop over 5 pounds of boost from 5500 to 6500rpm's. lol

southal cobalt 01-27-2015 12:55 AM

i believe it, but it made max power at 6800 rpm. stock cam 2.8" pulley cars do that. unfortunately, all of the efficiency and flow charts provide data to a blower speed of 14 k rpm. without real world testing, we cant know how the blower flows at 18 k rpm that hes spinning to.

youre right though, its not that bad

Staged07SS 01-27-2015 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Shanman (Post 7480443)
Ive known about your H65 for a while, very respectable for all GM parts, also my header compared to your GM honed mani might be the difference in boost drop off.

Overall I thought something was wrong as I thought the car was supposed to make more power at higher engine speeds especially with the Stg2 cams, but I am in essence past the M62's efficiency range, anyone know the guy who does the porting to the blower, I would be interested in getting mine done and seeing if it makes a difference with E50.

Nah, the gmpp manifold has nothing to do with me not dropping boost. That little ported manifold flows just fine. Take a look at my flat torque curve in my dyno thread.

Like spawne said.... its the H62 that helps me out.

09CobaltSS1 01-27-2015 11:15 AM

I still think he's a tad bit down on boost from where he should be, however. Someone had made a good point about the added efficiency of the cams, which would completely makes sense and is likely the culprit here. Stupid little m62.. lol

Staged07SS 01-27-2015 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by 09CobaltSS1 (Post 7480875)
I still think he's a tad bit down on boost from where he should be, however. Someone had made a good point about the added efficiency of the cams, which would completely makes sense and is likely the culprit here. Stupid little m62.. lol

Yep. I saw 1 psi drop with my cams.

armcclure 01-27-2015 02:27 PM

My car did the exact same thing with my zzp s2 cams, and they did in infra's car also. It's what was said earlier: their most efficient point is at high rpm, letting more air in and out.

09CobaltSS1 01-27-2015 03:34 PM

Right. Which is why I said I agreed with it and made complete sense once it was mentioned. :)

Shanman 01-27-2015 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by armcclure (Post 7481074)
My car did the exact same thing with my zzp s2 cams, and they did in infra's car also. It's what was said earlier: their most efficient point is at high rpm, letting more air in and out.

Great news! But will one of your ported blower be able to help me flow more cfms at the 7-8k RPM range? right now it seems my higher redline is not utilized as well as id like. already have heard good things about the ported blower from 09cobalt.

blueLNFftw 01-27-2015 05:48 PM

Amclure or something does them here.

Originally Posted by armcclure (Post 7481074)

Don't you do the ported blower casings? Or does MrBelvedere?

09CobaltSS1 01-27-2015 06:20 PM

A ported m62 definitely isn't going to give big numbers by any means, but CobaltSS 16's setup yielded some good results with it, although I'm not sure who did his blower porting. Hopefully we can get back on the dyno soon to compare against his previous setup. We WERE supposed to do that this past Saturday, but of course, it snowed Friday into Saturday here so that got the big ol' fat axe.

Shanman 01-27-2015 06:49 PM

^ Yeah Alex over at Granite State Dyno who did my pulls was bitching at me cause I didnt call before coming over on Saturday.
Alex: 'Well looks like we wont be able to do it today' he's looking at the car through the shop window... 5 mins later 'Well I guess since you drove all the way up here' as hes's pulling the car in... 5min later. 'You need to call me first so im not risking my equipment with a dyno pull' as he's strapping my car down! LOL

In my defense tried to get as much snow from the fender wells i could. haha

CobaltSS 16 01-27-2015 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by 09CobaltSS1 (Post 7481218)
A ported m62 definitely isn't going to give big numbers by any means, but CobaltSS 16's setup yielded some good results with it, although I'm not sure who did his blower porting. Hopefully we can get back on the dyno soon to compare against his previous setup. We WERE supposed to do that this past Saturday, but of course, it snowed Friday into Saturday here so that got the big ol' fat axe.

I know too bad.

Alan (armcclure) ported my blower. I picked up 1-1.5 psi on my E85 2.7" setup in the upper RPM range until where I shift at ~7K rpm (i think my rev limiter is at 7.2k though.) Blower sounds money too lol

Definitely think it would be beneficial on Shanmans setup.

armcclure 01-27-2015 09:25 PM

Quick tip: watch maf lb/min or freq instead of boost when judging airflow.

There's blower info here: arm-performance.com

Shanman 01-27-2015 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by armcclure (Post 7481398)

Well i requested to be a groupie :twothumbs

09CobaltSS1 01-27-2015 10:32 PM

Way ahead of you arm. ;)

I know I'm not as well known in the lsj area but cobalts aren't my first rodeo. :)

Good job on the blower btw.

Staged07SS 01-28-2015 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by armcclure (Post 7481398)

This.