Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Lost Intermediate/LOW gear, No Car Start, No Trunk Unlock

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lost Intermediate/LOW gear, No Car Start, No Trunk Unlock

Very odd day yesterday.

I woke up yesterday morning to get ready for my friends wedding, grabbed my keys and did my usual "remote car start" from the warmth of my room as I got ready. I walked outside to see my car never started. Hmm, wtf. I push it again and I here this electrical noise from the engine compartment as if it was trying to start but NOT STARTS. hmm

I unlock my car with the keyless entry, it works.

I started my car with the key and everything is fine. Hmm.

I then remembered that my other shoes were in the trunk and that I should at least bring them upfront to warm up alil. I pressed the trunk button on the dash and NOTHING. I then pushed the trunk button on the keyless entry on the keychain, AND NOTHING.

Wow things are f'd up.
Okay, so I then use the key to unlock the trunk.

I got in the car frustrated that I need to call the dealer up now and ask if they can help me out with my problem. Well I roll out from my parking place and drive into town.. my house is on top of a larger hill where I usually put it to intermediate gear to aid in the braking.. of course I do this at a low speed before I start the decend. NOTHING. I'm still in D or it feels as if I am still in drive. I get to the bottom of the hill by the stop sign as I approach 2-3mph my car goes into this JITTER state where it acts like it doesn't know what gear to go in. What is going on is all I can think to myself.

So guys/girls this is an 07 SS/NA. Has 4500 miles on it and really something is messed up. I figured it has to be something with a relay or a sensor telling the computer that the car isn't in gear and thus not allowing it to start or activate the trunk release.

I'm truely baffled to what happen? I dropped the car off this morning at the dealer around 1000am. and still no word from them yet.

Anyone else have an idea what this might be? I know quite abit about cars and this has be stumped to why this is doing this..

Wish me luck!!
Steve

Last edited by cobaltcruisin; 03-05-2007 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:11 PM

Could be a fuse. When I first took delivery of my 2.4 the traction control light would stay on and it would shift really hard... turns out a fuse was loose.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:54 PM

I just called the service department. The mechanics don't know what's wrong. They started working on it at 1pm. They said that they are trying everything. The mech. were in the process of reflashing when I called them.

Hmmm guess I'm carless.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hope that care starter was installed by gm ,I hear they like to blame them for everything electrical.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:41 PM

Ya it was an option by GM for 07 balts. Service called and said that there is problems reflashing??

What could this mean now? They said that they would call in the morning. wow.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:10 PM

Ive an 07 ss/na also and i have about 6300 miles on it, (i like to drive.) in any case, i am

also recieving the Service TC. i think i will check the fuses, but i thought that i would throw

my two cents in to this one. I havent yet taken it in to the dealer yet because i have a CAI

on it and i dont want them to tell me that it was the CAI that cause the problem. I plan on

reinstalling atleast part of the original intake. Call me stupid but w/e.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by cobaltcruisin
I just called the service department. The mechanics don't know what's wrong. They started working on it at 1pm. They said that they are trying everything. The mech. were in the process of reflashing when I called them.

Hmmm guess I'm carless.
Thats good it was a GM option. Other wise I'm sure they would of gave you a hard time and a hard bill to pay. Anyways, that is a awesome option, I wish my 06 had that. Good luck with everything I hope it works out for you. If they screw around to much demand for a GMP intake or exhaust or something.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by R&C_rallySS
Thats good it was a GM option. Other wise I'm sure they would of gave you a hard time and a hard bill to pay. Anyways, that is a awesome option, I wish my 06 had that. Good luck with everything I hope it works out for you. If they screw around to much demand for a GMP intake or exhaust or something.
Thank you for the advice. I just may have to do that. As of last night they were supposed to call me 30 minutes ago to discuss what the next step would be. Never received a call yet though. I'll keep my fingers crossed....

2.5 hours before I have to go to work... I think I might start pulling my bicycle out of the garage. I feel like i'm 15 again!
Old 03-06-2007, 10:41 PM

You guys aren't going to believe this...

The GM mechanics really had no idea as to what happened.

They are saying that something with the computer got fudged and somehow information got erased that controlled the transmission and something with the electronics module that controls the trunk/keyless/starter.

They have no clue and have never seen anything like this before. They had to reflash the ecu and said they had difficulties doing that. Since I'm 20y/o I'm one year too young to be allowed to have a loaner vehicle, wtf. But the said that they are ordering me new parts that will replace the defective components. I dont know much else since the car was delivered to me while I was at work. I told them I needed a vehicle for school and work since they can't give me a loaner.

I'm stumped and rather nervous about this car. Why did this happen and will it happen again someday while I'm on a long trip?

But after the reflash it is running amazing. WAY better then how it was when I bought it and after it's break-in. The shift points are tons better and feels way better driving. Odd... no flames please.

This has just been one weird ordeal.

Second note.. I told the dealership about the right hand grinding noise when accelerating.... well it did it when I took it to the dealer but afterwards they said nothing was wrong. And truely there isn't anything wrong now... umm they said they fixed nothing but it is fine now? Odd again.. guess my car has a mind of its own.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:23 AM

anyone know which fuse is for the trunk release?
Old 05-19-2008, 08:27 AM
Original Hayden Fanatic
Platinum Member

that too young stuff is B.S.

I was 19 and got a rental when my cobalt was in the shop. I just went in there said, look I have full coverage insurance, and the dealer is paying for the rental. I don't see what the issue is here, now give me a car.

I got me a car too
Old 05-19-2008, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by gtzjustin
anyone know which fuse is for the trunk release?
Under the hood fuse box, Trunk/Outlet fuse 20 amps there also is a relay you can reseat labled trunk release
Old 05-19-2008, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by REIGN SS
that too young stuff is B.S.

I was 19 and got a rental when my cobalt was in the shop. I just went in there said, look I have full coverage insurance, and the dealer is paying for the rental. I don't see what the issue is here, now give me a car.

I got me a car too

same here, i got a loaner when i was 17.