Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Low Coolant Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 04:09 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Low Coolant Problem

Hey Guys Please Help I've been having problems with the car it keeps saying low coolant everytime i start her up or when I'm up hill the dash starts flashing Low coolant. I've been trying to look it up saw a few thing about it. I know it could be my IC Pump does anyone have the part number for that. I've been checking my coolant it has plenty i notice that my Coolant temp stays steady at around 180 when crusing on the HYW. Now when I'm at a stop idle spikes to around 220 but stays around there till i start driving again doesnt go over that. Does Anyone else having or had this problem? What was your solution? Any help woud be Greatly appreciated Thank.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the 06 sensors seem to be faulty working half the time. did you even check the fluid level? or see if the rad hose is swollen? or did you just not open ur hood and posted a thread?
your coolant temps are normal.
ic pump has nothing to do with your coolant
Old 11-15-2011, 05:59 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Fluid level are good check them everyday almost coolant is full so is the resvior. Checked underneath the other day to see if anything looked different nothing no hose swollen or anything. Dont know what it could be. When i start the car shouldnt the fluids be flowing when the cap is off of the radiator when rev'd?
Old 11-15-2011, 10:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Murdered SS
Fluid level are good check them everyday almost coolant is full so is the resvior. Checked underneath the other day to see if anything looked different nothing no hose swollen or anything. Dont know what it could be. When i start the car shouldnt the fluids be flowing when the cap is off of the radiator when rev'd?
nope. fluid wont go through the radiator until the thermostat opens. so when you first start it it is still closed and u wont see any movement. now, if you let it warm up(with the radiator cap already off) and then check, you will see it moving
Old 11-15-2011, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
similar problem: i know my coolant is low, mine is getting up around 220 the entire time i'm driving, this is normal? i just had the thermostat replaced at the dealership too
Old 11-15-2011, 04:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

ok I'll check the thermostat see if thats it. I wil also check to see if the the fluids are flowing.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:26 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Hey also when you changed the thermostat did that clear up the low coolant problem?
Old 11-15-2011, 04:37 PM

Hey also when you changed the thermostat did that clear up the low coolant problem?
you've misunderstood i got a new thermostat THEN had low coolant
i was asking if 220 was normal?
Old 11-15-2011, 05:00 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Oh ok I get it now ok thanks
Old 11-15-2011, 08:03 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Anyone else having these problems?
Old 11-15-2011, 08:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have this on my LNf, on start up it will randomly flash low coolant but coolant tanks full
Old 11-15-2011, 08:20 PM

Had this problem recently....

I researched on here and didn't find much that helped me. Some people had porous blocks, some people had blown head gaskets, some people had bad water pumps, but I.....I had a cracked radiator.....and didnt know it.

Porous Block:
I don't know a whole lot about it, but I know if you got one.....it sucks. From what I understand, it allows your coolant to travel through the metal in your block and get burnt up in the combustion chambers (CSS chime in?). Cure is, well, to get a new block/engine

Head Gasket:
Your head gasket is allowing, once again, coolant to enter your combustion chamber and get burnt up. YOU WILL MOST LIKELY SMELL THE COOLANT BEING BURNT, if not see the smokey exhaust when you run the car. This is a relatively cheap fix if you do it yourself. If not, labor could be a bitch (not for sure never had it done for me)

Water Pump:
I saw a post on here (I'll try to find it), where the guy had a few loose bolts on his water pump cover allowing coolant to leak from the pump. This could be a gradual leak that evaporates before it accumulates enough to leave a "wet spot" on the ground. So if you think this could be your culprit, check your water pump.

Cracked Radiator:
Most of the time, you know when you crack the radiator. Its usually caused by hitting something or running over a large bump/pothole WAY TOO FAST (ask me how I know). USUALLY, you will see the crack/deformation that is causing the problem and acts as a dead giveaway. Catch is, if you run into a situation like mine, where the crack developed between the aluminum core and the plastic end-tank. You may not get any of the above symptoms. You will lose coolant, but it will happen so slowly (initially) that you won't know where its coming from. At first mine didn't leave "wet spots" but after time (and letting it sit for about a week) a significant spot developed at one side of the rad. Best way to check for a crack like this. Is to fill your overflow tank to the cold fill line (don't do it immediately after shutting the car off, but it helps if the car isn't completely cooled down), and leave the tank cap off. Let the car sit for a little while and see if a spot develops. If there is a spot, or coolant level is significantly lower, crawl under the car and see if you can't spot where the dripping is coming from.....and VWALLLAH! There's your leak.

Hope all of this was helpful. I let mine go way too long and had some close calls a few times. I actually had my water temp warning light come on once.....my butthole was about that big ->o when I saw my coolant temp above 250 while driving. Long story short, thoroughly investigate the issue and find it before it gets too bad, and ALWAYS....ALWAYS! keep your coolant topped off if you're losing it from an unknown source.

Happy Hunting haha!
Old 11-15-2011, 08:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
220 is normal temp (anything above isnt normal)

before i was tuned i would regularly get up to 220* and if i was hard on it on a hot day i saw 225 a couple times.

Tuned = fans 100% at 200
Old 11-16-2011, 03:59 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Jdam8139
Had this problem recently....

I researched on here and didn't find much that helped me. Some people had porous blocks, some people had blown head gaskets, some people had bad water pumps, but I.....I had a cracked radiator.....and didnt know it.

Porous Block:
I don't know a whole lot about it, but I know if you got one.....it sucks. From what I understand, it allows your coolant to travel through the metal in your block and get burnt up in the combustion chambers (CSS chime in?). Cure is, well, to get a new block/engine

Head Gasket:
Your head gasket is allowing, once again, coolant to enter your combustion chamber and get burnt up. YOU WILL MOST LIKELY SMELL THE COOLANT BEING BURNT, if not see the smokey exhaust when you run the car. This is a relatively cheap fix if you do it yourself. If not, labor could be a bitch (not for sure never had it done for me)

Water Pump:
I saw a post on here (I'll try to find it), where the guy had a few loose bolts on his water pump cover allowing coolant to leak from the pump. This could be a gradual leak that evaporates before it accumulates enough to leave a "wet spot" on the ground. So if you think this could be your culprit, check your water pump.

Cracked Radiator:
Most of the time, you know when you crack the radiator. Its usually caused by hitting something or running over a large bump/pothole WAY TOO FAST (ask me how I know). USUALLY, you will see the crack/deformation that is causing the problem and acts as a dead giveaway. Catch is, if you run into a situation like mine, where the crack developed between the aluminum core and the plastic end-tank. You may not get any of the above symptoms. You will lose coolant, but it will happen so slowly (initially) that you won't know where its coming from. At first mine didn't leave "wet spots" but after time (and letting it sit for about a week) a significant spot developed at one side of the rad. Best way to check for a crack like this. Is to fill your overflow tank to the cold fill line (don't do it immediately after shutting the car off, but it helps if the car isn't completely cooled down), and leave the tank cap off. Let the car sit for a little while and see if a spot develops. If there is a spot, or coolant level is significantly lower, crawl under the car and see if you can't spot where the dripping is coming from.....and VWALLLAH! There's your leak.

Hope all of this was helpful. I let mine go way too long and had some close calls a few times. I actually had my water temp warning light come on once.....my butthole was about that big ->o when I saw my coolant temp above 250 while driving. Long story short, thoroughly investigate the issue and find it before it gets too bad, and ALWAYS....ALWAYS! keep your coolant topped off if you're losing it from an unknown source.

Happy Hunting haha!
It doesnt sound like any of these i was thinking maybe the IC pump or a sensor dont know which one hopefully thats it. Cause i cant go without a car thanks for the info though.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:20 PM

It doesnt sound like any of these i was thinking maybe the IC pump or a sensor dont know which one hopefully thats it. Cause i cant go without a car thanks for the info though.
The IC system and the Engine Coolant System are two SEPARATE sytems... so if you're losing coolant out of your reservoir, you're either burning it or leaking it. IC system leaks would be seen in high iat's, empty filler neck, and, if you had really-mega-super-accurate hearing, excess IC pump noise
Old 11-17-2011, 11:55 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The IC system and the Engine Coolant System are two SEPARATE sytems... so if you're losing coolant out of your reservoir, you're either burning it or leaking it. IC system leaks would be seen in high iat's, empty filler neck, and, if you had really-mega-super-accurate hearing, excess IC pump noise
See my reservoir is still the same since i filled it up more months ago it hasnt changed. It doesnt look like i losing any fluid at all so idk it just keeps flashing low coolant everytime i start the car after it sits for awhile. I might go take it to the dealership just to make sure everything is ok but thats a last resort. I dont have a good track record with them since all the issues that happened last time with the recall work they did.

Last edited by Murdered SS; 11-17-2011 at 12:02 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:58 PM

If the DIC is saying "LOW COOLANT", it's referring to your ENGINE coolant....not IC coolant.

Now, if you're getting low coolant messages, and your reservoir is at the cold fill line when the car is cooled down, the sensor is probably bad
Old 11-17-2011, 08:39 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

What sensor do i need would u happen to have a Part#?
Old 11-17-2011, 08:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just add a bit more coolant and see if the issue goes away,if it does and comes back in a while then you are losing it somewhere.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:27 PM

Here....I'm pretty sure this is what you need

ACDELCO Part # PT374

Just google it
Old 11-19-2011, 02:01 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

ok coo thank for the part number. I also check the fluid level and there the same so i'm not losing any.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:48 PM

I dont agree with 220 being normal temp. My car runs at 168 no higher no lower. But anyways, I am getting Low Coolant message when I start up my car. I am about .5" below the fill line, I went to add more coolant to the resevoir, all though I cannot for the life of me open the resevoir. I dont know if it is because it is so cold, but I broke my whole coolant resevoir off just trying to loosen the lid...

Last edited by Lone1305; 12-12-2011 at 12:59 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Lone1305
I dont agree with 220 being normal temp. My car runs at 168 no higher no lower. But anyways, I am getting Low Coolant message when I start up my car. I am about .5" below the fill line, I went to add more coolant to the resevoir, all though I cannot for the life of me open the resevoir. I dont know if it is because it is so cold, but I broke my whole coolant resevoir off just trying to loosen the lid...
220 is definitely normal for certain conditions like: High ambient temps + mild driving, Average temps + slow driving, or cooler temps + a lot of slow high RPM driving.... all of which build a considerable amount of heat and provide relatively inadequate airflow to the radiator.

As for the low coolant message, .5" below cold fill will give you "low coolant on the DIC" its close to the threshold, trust me I know, but if you're not losing any coolant, and you know its that close, I personally wouldn't worry about it. Sure, it gets annoying, but its not going to hurt anything.

BTW IIRC we have 180F thermostats, so if your coolant temp doesn't even break 170, you might have a bad thermostat.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:51 PM

not sure if ours do but I know lots of coolant overflow tanks have a sensor at the bottom of them....they will say low coolant when they go bad...check for wires underneath your overflow
Old 12-14-2011, 05:54 AM

Now, if you're getting low coolant messages, and your reservoir is at the cold fill line when the car is cooled down, the sensor is probably bad
IN NO WAY AM I TRYING TO BE A DICK!
Just pointing out that we already said that....

Quick Reply: Low Coolant Problem