Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Low Oil Pressure!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Low Oil Pressure!!!!

Just bought an 06 ss/sc with stage II, 35k miles. car checked out perfectly. drove it for 1k miles...oil was clean, but decided to change it. assuming previous owner(no contact, bought from dealer) was running full synthetic...oil/filter change...used 5-30 full syn...oil pressure light wont go off, the longer i let it run the louder the valve tapping gets!! no leaks....one guess is that previous owner didnt use synthetic, and now the engine isnt happy with synthetic.....ever happened to anyone? going to change it to no sythetic today see what happens.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Change the oil filter again especially if its not a oem filter,that will most likely solve your issue.
And dont drive the car if the oil pressure light is on .
Old 05-10-2009, 12:03 PM

How much oil did you put back in? I own same year ss/sc stage II and it took 6 1/4 quarts . Had same problem but, its cause the stealership only put 4 1/2 quarts in. Just a thought nothing against you.
Old 05-10-2009, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by marty20sc
How much oil did you put back in? I own same year ss/sc stage II and it took 6 1/4 quarts . Had same problem but, its cause the stealership only put 4 1/2 quarts in. Just a thought nothing against you.
That could be an issue but I would of assumed that he check the oil level on the dipstick
when he changed the oil.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:38 PM

yea, the filter is next...has to be junk een know it was high dollar aftermarket. going to oem filter. noticed it too 6.25 also to get full.

not driving at all.

thanks folks..trying it tonight!
Old 05-11-2009, 09:28 PM

crap...went back to oem filter..still no pressure...went to chevy, talked to mech...doubts its oil pump cuz there's no clankity clank...just lifter tapity tap...thinks something is clogged or pressure relief valve on engine cover outside of oil pump is stuck...either way..towing her to chevy and praying my aftermarket warranty comes thru. i did get the bumper rebars cut out and new brakes and fixed the he coolant leak though..see my drag race build thread..gettin slammed by the peanut gallery over there....hahaha....any more ideas guys?
Old 05-12-2009, 10:41 AM

Possible the previous owner bagged the living **** out of the car, started having oil pressure problems, dumped a load of STP (or similar) into it to quiet it down and traded it in. Would explain why it started when you changed the oil.

Would not be the first time it happens, doubt it will be the last.

Be curious to hear what they find when they tear into it......
Old 05-12-2009, 10:55 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by DaBuzzard
Possible the previous owner bagged the living **** out of the car, started having oil pressure problems, dumped a load of STP (or similar) into it to quiet it down and traded it in. Would explain why it started when you changed the oil.

Would not be the first time it happens, doubt it will be the last.

Be curious to hear what they find when they tear into it......
this is my guess too. Previous owner probably fubar'd the car so he put a crap load of oil additive and maybe even some 20w50 in to keep it quiet until after it was sold.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:50 PM

always a possibility, but had good pressure and normal clean looking oil when i drained it...ran great for 1,000 hwy miles. good thing i got that extra warranty from the seller...good for only $1,000 in engine repair, we'll see what chevy has to say.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:17 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by turbodog
always a possibility, but had good pressure and normal clean looking oil when i drained it...ran great for 1,000 hwy miles. good thing i got that extra warranty from the seller...good for only $1,000 in engine repair, we'll see what chevy has to say.
But if it had additive or heavy oil in it, it would seem to have normal pressure. You cannot tell anything from oil just by looking at it, regardless of whether it "looks clean" or not.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:52 AM

answer. oil pressure relief valve, which lives in the cover behind the pulleys, down towards the lower a-arm..covers the oil pump ect..the outside case had a small ding in it, froze the valve, no oil flow...replacement kit is new case cover, valve and oil pump. cheap ass waranty company is balking because its damaged on the outside, so my insurance adjuster is looking at it now "i hit a rock"..seemed to make sense...too bad i have a 1k deductable. at least i got to look at the bottom end of the motor and get some new parts. thanks for your input!!!!
Old 05-15-2009, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by turbodog
answer. oil pressure relief valve, which lives in the cover behind the pulleys, down towards the lower a-arm..covers the oil pump ect..the outside case had a small ding in it, froze the valve, no oil flow...replacement kit is new case cover, valve and oil pump. cheap ass waranty company is balking because its damaged on the outside, so my insurance adjuster is looking at it now "i hit a rock"..seemed to make sense...too bad i have a 1k deductable. at least i got to look at the bottom end of the motor and get some new parts. thanks for your input!!!!
Kind of a good news / bad news deal.

"Good news, your motor isn't fried!"

"Bad news, warranty won't cover it."

At least your fixed and not out of pocket for a couple grand

And I never in a million years would have thought of something like that being the cause.....wierd one.